SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

volasmiler
Topic Author

How long to wait after IB interview?

February 18th, 2014, 9:44 am

Hi,About two weeks ago I had face-to-face interviews with an IB in London for their Quant Graduate Program. So far I haven't heard anything from them. I had 6 interviews, most of them went really well I think, one not that good since I needed a lot of hints to solve the problems I was given. After the phone interviews HR usually got back to me after less than 4 days. Is it normal for IBs to take that long after face-to-face interviews for these kind of programs? How long should I wait before sending a polite request about the status of my application to my HR contact?Thanks!

Gamal

February 18th, 2014, 11:04 am

They decide, dude. When, where, under which conditions and if ever.

volasmiler
Topic Author

February 19th, 2014, 6:53 pm

OK sure. I was just curious if some of you could share how long they had to wait for feedback after their first round face to face interviews. I guess not hearing back for almost two weeks is not a good sign...

Gamal

February 20th, 2014, 7:09 am

Two weeks is nothing. But after a year of waiting you should start to worry.

MattF

February 20th, 2014, 8:52 am

You shouldn't wait at all. After every interview just assume you didn't get it and get on with your life.

volasmiler
Topic Author

February 25th, 2014, 12:36 pm

I called them last week to ask about the status of my application, but HR told me no decision has been made yet.How likely is it they still make me an offer? I mean, at least they haven't rejected me so far but then again, if they were really interested in me they probably would have done something by now. Surely the interviewers have already given their assessment to HR? Waiting for 3 weeks now after the last interview... Is this normal for Quant Graduate Programs?

punkfanatic3000

February 25th, 2014, 1:00 pm

You can't hold onto them like that. They'll decide when they decide. Move on and apply for more.

AnalyticalVega

February 25th, 2014, 1:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFYou shouldn't wait at all. After every interview just assume you didn't get it and get on with your life.Great Advice!!!

biggiebank

February 28th, 2014, 5:55 pm

You have to assume that sometimes, HR keep you waiting just because they're waiting for someone else to accept the offer. In that case, you may be offer the position as soon as someone decline the offer, or you may not get it if the previous candidate has accepted the offer.Anyway, 3 weeks is quite long to me, so I would assume they have offered the position to someone else.

harryb

March 4th, 2014, 10:54 am

There are many reasons why things might be delayed and you still get the job. If you are going for a graduate program there is typically a fairly standardised process to deal with the volume of candidates etc. This could get delayed for all sorts of reasons - interviews of other batches of candidates, difficulty getting feedback from interviewers, ...But I agree with MattF - move on to look at other things. In the (increasingly) unlikely event an offer does materialise then it gives you bargaining power between the two. If you don't get this one at least you have something else in progress.The delay in receiving news seems to follow a sort-of-normal distribution, if you are an exceptionally bad or good candidate you are most likely to get feedback pretty much immediately. If you are somewhere in between and people are in doubt where you stand in the hiring priority order you can wait much longer. H

bearish

March 4th, 2014, 11:44 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: harrybThe delay in receiving news seems to follow a sort-of-normal distribution, if you are an exceptionally bad or good candidate you are most likely to get feedback pretty much immediately. If you are somewhere in between and people are in doubt where you stand in the hiring priority order you can wait much longer. HMay I vote for an exponential distribution instead? It avoids the time travel inherent in the left tail of the normal distribution and all the grammatical unpleasantness involved.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On