SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
Nima
Topic Author
Posts: 7
Joined: February 18th, 2014, 1:46 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 20th, 2014, 11:00 am

I am currently a postdoc in EE at a top university in the Nordic region. I am thinking about moving to quant. Finance as I found the field quite interesting, challenging, intellectually stimulating, and with more vivid impact on real-world than Academia as well as a better job prospect. My programming experience is limited to Matlab and Python with limited experience in C++ (not Object oriented).I have got admission for Fin. Math. from LSE and Quant. Fin. From Cass Business School (got rejected from Imperial and Warwick), but I am not sure if it is a right decision to pursue an MFE after a PhD in EE. My goal is get a job after in London or Copenhagen.Would you recommend me doing an MFE? What about doing CQF?
Last edited by Nima on February 19th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
Hansi
Posts: 3300
Joined: January 25th, 2010, 11:47 am

MFE after a PhD

February 20th, 2014, 11:44 am

Personally I think the MFE will be a better option than CQF and from what I've heard LSE's program has a better rep than Cass'.Don't know the Denmark job market at all so can't comment on that, maybe the MFE isn't needed and you can get a job with your current credentials + self study?But for London it the same is possible but very hard and the MFE will make it easier.
 
User avatar
MattF
Posts: 925
Joined: March 14th, 2003, 7:15 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 20th, 2014, 12:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: HansiPersonally I think the MFE will be a better option than CQF and from what I've heard LSE's program has a better rep than Cass'.Really? I've heard the opposite. I've also met quite a few Cass masters grads working in the City but no LSE ones AFAIK. (Of course not a statistically valid sample size.)If you study at LSE or Cass I'd regard the time as an extended job search. You wont find the course very difficult so concentrate on job-hunting.
 
User avatar
Hansi
Posts: 3300
Joined: January 25th, 2010, 11:47 am

MFE after a PhD

February 20th, 2014, 3:20 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFQuoteOriginally posted by: HansiPersonally I think the MFE will be a better option than CQF and from what I've heard LSE's program has a better rep than Cass'.Really? I've heard the opposite. I've also met quite a few Cass masters grads working in the City but no LSE ones AFAIK. (Of course not a statistically valid sample size.)Same sample validity here but I've met a few (3-4) from both and the LSE gave it more props than the Cass alumni. But of course they're biased too.Maybe someone like Dominic or another headhunter might have better insight with a larger example of graduates?QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFIf you study at LSE or Cass I'd regard the time as an extended job search. You wont find the course very difficult so concentrate on job-hunting.Seconded.
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 70239
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 21st, 2014, 8:24 am

obviously the point of doing an MFE is to get a job.Have you tried getting a job with just your current qualifications ?
 
User avatar
Nima
Topic Author
Posts: 7
Joined: February 18th, 2014, 1:46 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 21st, 2014, 8:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperobviously the point of doing an MFE is to get a job.Have you tried getting a job with just your current qualifications ?I have only applied for jobs in Copenhagen and Stockholm,during last 6 months there has been only a few announcements, I applied for them but so far of no success. I haven't tried London yet.
 
User avatar
punkfanatic3000
Posts: 146
Joined: April 4th, 2011, 5:37 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 21st, 2014, 10:52 am

Danske Commodities seem to have a few jobs, though they are based in Aarhaus:http://www.danskecommodities.com/Careers
 
User avatar
Nima
Topic Author
Posts: 7
Joined: February 18th, 2014, 1:46 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 25th, 2014, 8:06 am

Many thanks for your comments. As I understand, MFE won't be a big plus on my CV. Considering the amount of money that I have to spend and one year of unemployment, I am not sure if really worth it. I am going to hone my programming skills and also do some self study. One of my research area is statistical change detection, I am going to focus more on this area and keep applying.
 
User avatar
ppauper
Posts: 70239
Joined: November 15th, 2001, 1:29 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 25th, 2014, 10:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: NimaMany thanks for your comments. As I understand, MFE won't be a big plus on my CV. Considering the amount of money that I have to spend and one year of unemployment, I am not sure if really worth it. I am going to hone my programming skills and also do some self study. One of my research area is statistical change detection, I am going to focus more on this area and keep applying.it will be a big plus if it helps you get a job.If you can get a job without it, you don't need it.If you try to get a job without it and do not succeed, you need it
 
User avatar
ThinkDifferent
Posts: 659
Joined: March 14th, 2007, 1:09 pm

MFE after a PhD

February 25th, 2014, 10:29 am

Yes, in your situation it is worth it. And go for LSE.
 
User avatar
Nima
Topic Author
Posts: 7
Joined: February 18th, 2014, 1:46 pm

MFE after a PhD

March 3rd, 2014, 6:04 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: NimaMany thanks for your comments. As I understand, MFE won't be a big plus on my CV. Considering the amount of money that I have to spend and one year of unemployment, I am not sure if really worth it. I am going to hone my programming skills and also do some self study. One of my research area is statistical change detection, I am going to focus more on this area and keep applying.it will be a big plus if it helps you get a job.If you can get a job without it, you don't need it.If you try to get a job without it and do not succeed, you need itThat's true. Maybe the best strategy for me is to try to get a job and if do not succeed, do the MFE.
 
User avatar
DominicConnor
Posts: 11684
Joined: July 14th, 2002, 3:00 am

MFE after a PhD

March 3rd, 2014, 8:28 am

Hansi is right that the LSE has a better reputation than Cass and that is an important term in getting a job.On the other hand I find that the quality of output of Cass is higher than the LSE.Note I am talking about observables, "reputation" is observable as it the quality of students output, it is very much harder for anyone to observe the input so that they can deduce the "value added" by the course.Also of course there is very wide variation in the quality of people coming out of any programme.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...


GZIP: On