SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Niranjan
Topic Author

Career Change: Sell side Risk to Buy side risk

April 22nd, 2014, 7:34 am

Hi Guysyet another question abt career change:Presently I work in Risk control/report/management (mixutre of all since we are a small team, more like Jack of All trades) for sell side/trading firm. Have got 2 opportunities. One is similar but more focused role in another firm, and investment risk analyst in a asset manager with funds, private placements and catered funds. Can anyone guide/direct me to crucial subtle differences in both areas? In particular how about need and focus along quantitative directions? I dont want to loose the "quantitative" stuff in the work...cheers and thanks!-n

riskguru

Career Change: Sell side Risk to Buy side risk

April 22nd, 2014, 3:56 pm

I would distinguish between buy side/asset management and buy side/hedge funds. In the former the tendency is for the role to be more about compliance/operational risk issues (with all the caveats around the dangers of generalizing). The latter generally focuses a lot more on market risk/portfolio construction type issues, though there are plenty of firms that do this for reasons of optics only. You are going to have to be the ultimate judge on the specifics of the opportunities you have. Good luck!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On