SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

D1m14r1
Topic Author

Situation with work visas these days

July 27th, 2014, 12:16 am

I would like to hear about the situation related to work visas these days? How likely are finance employers to consider giving a job to someone who does not already have a work permit? Do they support visa applications? I for myself, currently hold a residence in one of EU countries, but I'm a non-EU citizen. I'm trying to enter finance now. Somebody I know working on wall street told me that in the US finding a job would be pretty much impossible since I don't have a work permit there. Is this true? What about UK? And I am especially interested in Asia. How does it work with visas in Asia?ThanksAnd sorry if this question has been asked before.

Marco72

July 27th, 2014, 10:45 am

It's not impossible. I doubt visa applications are more expensive than recruiters' fees. If you make a direct application (e.g. via LinkedIn), you should have at least as many chances as an EU citizen applying via a recruiter.

QuantOrDie

July 27th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Cost of visa application is not the thing. Uncertainty and delay is the thing.Temp work permits to the US (H1Bs, good for 6 total years with renewal) are number-limited to 65000 per year. In reasonably good economic times this means that the available permits are exhausted the first day that applications are open (in April, for permits starting in October). The applications are put into a hat and 65k are pulled out (it is a total lottery). Many of the available permits are taken by companies like Infosys, who don't care which of their workers get through (they submit thousands of applications and simply need X total to do low-level IT work). Meanwhile, a company hiring a high-value worker for a specific position is essentially screwed if their guy misses the lottery. And even in the best case scenario they have to wait at least six months (from April to October) and possibly more (if it's before April they have to wait until April to apply; if their guy misses the lottery they have to wait until the next April). So you're looking at a process with enormous uncertainty and huge delays between hiring decision and start of work.

Marco72

July 27th, 2014, 2:39 pm

To clarify, my answer was only regarding the UK.

D1m14r1
Topic Author

July 27th, 2014, 7:23 pm

@QuantOrDie That's what I had heard before about the US.Does anyone know anything about Asia?

DDUKON

October 20th, 2014, 12:08 pm

I don't want to sound brutal, but don't hope this from the banks , especially if are outside of UK as of now You can try consultancies which may be able to do it.

D1m14r1
Topic Author

October 20th, 2014, 2:13 pm

DDUKON is there any specific reason why banks won't do that?

tagoma

October 20th, 2014, 2:40 pm

QuoteI would like to hear about the situation related to work visas these days?(Work) visa allowance is a function of Economy.

DDUKON

October 21st, 2014, 7:00 am

I got no idea why banks don't do that. I should really say "they don't do it for new recruits except graduates"In exceptional cases, they may do for professionals who are already in the job and need visa to continue working for the bank .I am saying all by personal experience. My cricket team got dispersed due to this issue and it was well comprised of Australians, Indians and South Africans..
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On