SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Sprinter
Topic Author

important advice sought

September 3rd, 2014, 10:22 am

there is this problem I have been observing for the past several months. there is perhaps unauthorized access to email, linkedin, twitter, facebook online career account. I browse back and try to locate email correspondence with some recruiter or an industry contact to see it is not there and deleted. I checked linkedin group following and there were several groups followed I didn't follow. connections are made and deleted automatically. there is following on twitter automatically and unfollowing. comments are deleted from facebook account. there are applications made from online career account when I apply to find you have already applied for the job one such occurrence yesterday at wilmott.com jobs board. I get calls from abroad and telephone disconnects with no recall possible. online contact information at professional bodies portals get tampered with erroneous phone numbers and address details.I don't know if this is the right forum to post such a message but may be there is some useful advice. I haven't come across of an online internet crime reporting agency. I haven't considered reporting it to the local police as they wouldn't have the means to investigate online crime being a local establishment.I change password and log off. I don't share password. I don't write password anywhere. I contacted google to setup a one login instance allowed at a time and to disable multiple login. there was no reply.I have tried discussing with friends and family but the reply comes you should see a doctor with a possible mental illness. there is no way I can prove there is unauthorized access to account unless there is an investigation and until then I will continue to be mentally unwell.

tagoma

important advice sought

September 3rd, 2014, 11:07 am

I commented that websites one visits, email accounts and online social networks are now so well connected that is has become really annoying, some weeks ago. But, the problem you are facing is one step beyond. Good luck. Keep us updated on the solutions you will find.

Hansi

important advice sought

September 3rd, 2014, 11:31 am

For Gmail use 2 factor authentication and check https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity for unauthorized access, Google support WILL NOT do anything for you. The normal action for e-mail is to archive not delete so check ALL mail label for the missing ones.For Linkedin they recently added people to a bunch of groups based on their profile items. E.g. if you worked for Goldman you were now following the Goldman Careers group or whatever unrequested.Connections might be created by accident when you reply to a recruiter's inMessage thing (there is a small tick box that's ticked by default to connect with them). Connections might have been deleted from the other side.For Twitter they recently added injecting favourites of people you already follow into your feed without references as to where it originated from. Or it could be another of their A/B tests:http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/01/twitte ... ithmic/For Facebook their servers often get quite fragmented so some comments disappear for hours or days and then return. Not common but happens. People who originate the content where the comment was made can also remove them without the commenter being notified. Facebook also has an activity viewer like Google by clicking Activity Log in your profile.For wilmott.com jobs board and professional bodies might be a software bugs or similar.Options are:A) These are all explainable by the company doing something, software bugs or user error.B) Someone is out to get youC) You are imagining this because of mental issues.D) You went on a crazy recruitment related online trip while massively drunk and don't rememberI think A might be most likely.I suggest resetting all passwords, create new ones using a password manager and enable 2 factor authentication on web services you care about, e.g. Google.

MattF

important advice sought

September 3rd, 2014, 6:25 pm

Do you have any sense that it *might* be your mind playing tricks on you? You recently posted "programmers call it a bug a bug in your head doctors call it paranoia" which seemed an odd opening to a post on Internal v External Applications. Unless you feel absolutely 100% positive that it isn't you I would see a doctor.

Sprinter
Topic Author

important advice sought

September 4th, 2014, 2:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MattFDo you have any sense that it *might* be your mind playing tricks on you? You recently posted "programmers call it a bug a bug in your head doctors call it paranoia" which seemed an odd opening to a post on Internal v External Applications. Unless you feel absolutely 100% positive that it isn't you I would see a doctor.do you know what mental sickness is. do you know what a diagnosed mental patient looks like and how he/she speaks and writes. you have hallucinations. you have delusions. you hear voices. you live in an imaginary world unless you are suffering from noncritical illness like depression or anxiety. there is no doctor who can justify your comment based on comments posted at this forum here. your comment is irresponsible directed to a sane individual seeking advice not knowing who to seek help from. so do you think my account is not hacked and I am imagining emails deleted connections made and disconnected following and unfollowing and do you think my memory is playing games with me when I apply for a job and the message comes you have already applied when I login to career portal and request for information had already been responded to automatically showing as responded at a recent date. applying for a job and the job not showing in the applied jobs even though email notification is received.

rmax

important advice sought

September 4th, 2014, 2:33 pm

1. Change your passwords2. See a doctorI do not joke about #2. Think of it as a call option. If you do have issues, then it is OK. If you are not, you have not lost anything. I know someone whose husband advised her to see a doctor because when she got back from work, she rationally talked through with him why she should kill herself. She did not think it was odd it was just the rational conclusion. She was not mentally unwell, she was under tremendous pressure. She had sometime off and was fine again afterwards (although doing a different job).

traderjoe1976

important advice sought

September 4th, 2014, 4:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: SprinterQuoteOriginally posted by: MattFDo you have any sense that it *might* be your mind playing tricks on you? You recently posted "programmers call it a bug a bug in your head doctors call it paranoia" which seemed an odd opening to a post on Internal v External Applications. Unless you feel absolutely 100% positive that it isn't you I would see a doctor.do you know what mental sickness is. do you know what a diagnosed mental patient looks like and how he/she speaks and writes. you have hallucinations. you have delusions. you hear voices. you live in an imaginary world unless you are suffering from noncritical illness like depression or anxiety. there is no doctor who can justify your comment based on comments posted at this forum here. your comment is irresponsible directed to a sane individual seeking advice not knowing who to seek help from. so do you think my account is not hacked and I am imagining emails deleted connections made and disconnected following and unfollowing and do you think my memory is playing games with me when I apply for a job and the message comes you have already applied when I login to career portal and request for information had already been responded to automatically showing as responded at a recent date. applying for a job and the job not showing in the applied jobs even though email notification is received.There are many different forms of mental illness. There is at least one other person on this forum who is completely convinced that he is being persecuted because of his religious beliefs.In your case, you may suffer from paranoia or shizophrenia.You may even be a paranoid shizophrenic which definitely needs medical treatment.I have observed in your posts that you switch personalities from being an all-knowing, supremely intelligent person to being a helpless person who cannot get a job and who cannot understand why the recruiters will not talk to him or reply to his emails.I would advise you to get your mind straightened out and perhaps look for a job in a less mentally demanding field.

MattF

important advice sought

September 4th, 2014, 5:22 pm

Sorry if I offended you, but all your posts here suggest you're under a lot of stress. Of course I could be completely wrong and, if so, I apologise.

DominicConnor

important advice sought

September 5th, 2014, 6:52 am

The normal shit that happens in your life follows some sort of frequency/shittiness distribution where bad things cluster through a dull but irritating stochastic process but of course you can be fooled by this randomness into thinking there is some mechanism out there.This is path dependent, once the mechanism appears to fit the observed facts and of course occasionally one does have some agency trying to mess with you.At that point the prior probabilities of any bad event being part of a mechanism can lead you to assume this and even look out for bad things that support the idea.It is therefore rational to check that your interpretation by checking with others (like you are doing) to se if your weighting of data points is at the right level and none of us ever at at the prceise optimum across all our weightings.At one point a popular spy series on TV had a character who looked like me who had a cover story that was pretty much how I'd describe my job and was facing a specific group of terrorists who had tried to kill me as a child and who had faded away but the plot had them come back, to get me/him.I detected that a couple of his speech patterns were also quite like mine and it amused me to speculate to my friends and family that somehow the writers had known me and based the character on my life.So I drifted into actively spotting resemblances.By reflecting this pattern off others I never drifted into believing the BBC was monitoring my life so as to make it into a TV series without paying me ...That sort of reflection is important to us all and I can see why the ananoymity of Wilmott.com is helpful to you in calibrating your weightings for some data you've observed in your life.It is possible that someone is trying to hack you for some grudge of just because they get thier kicks that way, there exists tech that can get past your precautions, though changing your passwords is a good idea. Please tell me you have different passwords for different systems ?Butr online we can't calibrate as well as you'd like, which is why Rmax suggested a doctor and you need to embrace your scientific education and viewpoint here.You may or may not be ill, but now the idea is now in your head that you may be unwell and that itself will cause you extra stress which you don't need right now.If you had a cough that lasted more than a couple of weeks and just wouldn't seem to go, you'd see a doctor.It very probably would not be cancer, but the risk * outcome of cancer is harsh enough that the advice from health professionals is that a couple of weeks of cooughing, even if not really that severe should be checked out, to be sure and frankly to take away the nagging fear that it might be something deeply bad.Your brain is a bunch of stuff just like lungs, pancreas etc or the Windows setup on your PC, if your PC kept giving troubling results, you'd call tech support.I'm very good with computers but recently paid someone else to handle a job with a very fiddly wire in a laptop, I joked that this was emabarassing which is how too many people feel about stress and other issues to do with the organ at the top of their body that they'd never feel if the organ that was giving trouble was intheir ribcage.So you need to see a doctor, the odds are that you need to get a bit more sleep, take a holiday or (as happeend to a friend of mine) stop eating cheese which his body couldn't handle properly or some other food.Many people in this line of work get too little sleep, a common evolution is being young and able to cut down without much effect to "get more done" can as you get older become something your body will not handle as well, or the excess coffee that accompanies banking can be an issue.So the vast bulk of the proababiliy mass is talking it though, maybe tweaking your lifestyle a bit by discplining your habits into treating your body better.Of course it may be something more and just as your PC may have some serious hacking shit on it, an issue with your head needs to be looked at by a professional.You should do both because basically they are the same thing. An hour of a decent tech and 20 minutes with a doctor is an investment with such huge upside that you'd be a fool to pass it by.
Last edited by DominicConnor on September 4th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

billypilgrim

important advice sought

September 5th, 2014, 10:21 am

I believe you. It's the NSA. They have been a nuisance to people like us. I was once captured by people from Tralfamadore (it's a far off planet, in case you haven't heard of it). I received similar responses as you have.Be Very Careful.

Cuchulainn

important advice sought

September 5th, 2014, 10:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: billypilgrimI believe you. It's the NSA. They have been a nuisance to people like us. I was once captured by people from Tralfamadore (it's a far off planet, in case you haven't heard of it). I received similar responses as you have.Be Very Careful.Probably Vanusians? ... they have contacted people at all walks of life. lt would be a devastating blow to our antiquated systems. You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 4th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

billypilgrim

important advice sought

September 5th, 2014, 12:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: billypilgrimI believe you. It's the NSA. They have been a nuisance to people like us. I was once captured by people from Tralfamadore (it's a far off planet, in case you haven't heard of it). I received similar responses as you have.Be Very Careful.Probably Vanusians? ... they have contacted people at all walks of life. lt would be a devastating blow to our antiquated systems. You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.Cuchulainn: Vanusians? Not sure what are they......If you meant Venusians, aren't they female only? And look like spiders? The Tralfamadorians had at least 7 different sexes if my memory serves me right. So definitely not Venusians....And if they are to be believed, then the Earth would be destroyed anyway..... It might have been a helluva good country, but this time neither Captain America nor Iron Man can save it....Sprinter : don't worry about mere stuff like deleted job applications, hacked gmail, etc. All Earthlings would meet the same fate anyway. But Obama thinks he can get his NSAians to work out a solution by attacking people like us who see through his lies. So till the World ends, take care.

rmax

important advice sought

September 5th, 2014, 1:12 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: billypilgrimI believe you. It's the NSA. They have been a nuisance to people like us. I was once captured by people from Tralfamadore (it's a far off planet, in case you haven't heard of it). I received similar responses as you have.Be Very Careful.So it goes.

Sprinter
Topic Author

important advice sought

September 5th, 2014, 1:33 pm

I bet not one of you is a trained physician able to assess and conclude the mental stability of an individual. are you mr. conner the only representative of wilmott.com at this forum here if yes you are doing a wrecking job with your fancy attempts to show off how well you can write. why is this forum so unwelcoming. where are the real quants gone do they not post anymore. since I have started posting here there hasn't been a single post representative of a real quant. or those industry quants do not even look at the careers forum. your persistence of not accepting a case of internet crime and continuing to brag and make a joke of a serious plea is mocking on the face of unfortunate circumstance. you can categorize it in any branch of criminal activity identity theft, unauthorized access, etc. yesterday I got a message conforming shipping of a product bought online through a credit card I don't know. so is this not serious. I am sure these replying to the post here are not what they are pretending rather losers who have free time to post ridiculous messages with no advice or a lead to an internet crime reporting authority.

billypilgrim

important advice sought

September 5th, 2014, 1:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: SprinterI bet not one of you is a trained physician able to assess and conclude the mental stability of an individual. are you mr. conner the only representative of wilmott.com at this forum here if yes you are doing a wrecking job with your fancy attempts to show off how well you can write. why is this forum so unwelcoming. where are the real quants gone do they not post anymore. since I have started posting here there hasn't been a single post representative of a real quant. or those industry quants do not even look at the careers forum. your persistence of not accepting a case of internet crime and continuing to brag and make a joke of a serious plea is mocking on the face of unfortunate circumstance. you can categorize it in any branch of criminal activity identity theft, unauthorized access, etc. yesterday I got a message conforming shipping of a product bought online through a credit card I don't know. so is this not serious. I am sure these replying to the post here are not what they are pretending rather losers who have free time to post ridiculous messages with no advice or a lead to an internet crime reporting authority.I hear you. I have gone through all your posts...you've been the only one who talks sense here and posts on topics representative of a real quant......Btw, Did you expect to meet a trained physician on Wilmott? Or was it a cyber crime professional you expected? Quants from Earth are not able to think beyond the 3 dimensions...how do you expect them to help with matters of cyber crime or diagnosis of one's mental health? I could have suggested someone...He went by the name of L,,,a super-intelligent investigator...but I heard he was killed by Kira in Tokyo.....So it goes....
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On