SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

 
User avatar
DDUKON
Topic Author
Posts: 155
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 8:46 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 6th, 2015, 12:56 pm

I have 2 things going on :A:Contact offer paying a decent rate.Working on the risk vendor tech I know on expert level as a change BAB:Perm . Not a bank but a CCP . Offer is not on the plate yet but very close. might get on Monday but nothing sure. Salary not discussed. Working as Market Risk Manager. My preference : BA's agent wants an answer by end of today that if A offers, I will be totally committed and would let B go. A's offer only stands for this week.B cannot come back this week. They will come back early next week only . if I let B go , I would miss out on what could have happened as B more excites me . I have been on change mgmt role for 10years now.if I let A go and wait for B and B does not happen, I would regret it more.Any suggestions ???"A's offer only stands for this week." - Is this a BLUFF ?
 
User avatar
cenperro
Posts: 31
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 1:33 pm

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 6th, 2015, 1:17 pm

and why not just take A and if B comes out on Monday take B?...why the total commitment? will they be taking your first born son if you change your mind?
 
User avatar
rmax
Posts: 6080
Joined: December 8th, 2005, 9:31 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 6th, 2015, 3:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONI have 2 things going on :A:Contact offer paying a decent rate.Working on the risk vendor tech I know on expert level as a change BAB:Perm . Not a bank but a CCP . Offer is not on the plate yet but very close. might get on Monday but nothing sure. Salary not discussed. Working as Market Risk Manager. My preference : BA's agent wants an answer by end of today that if A offers, I will be totally committed and would let B go. A's offer only stands for this week.B cannot come back this week. They will come back early next week only . if I let B go , I would miss out on what could have happened as B more excites me . I have been on change mgmt role for 10years now.if I let A go and wait for B and B does not happen, I would regret it more.Any suggestions ???"A's offer only stands for this week." - Is this a BLUFF ?Honesty is the best policy. Go back to B and say that you are keen and need to know by Tuesday Next Week. If they cannot tell you then, it is off. Go back to A and say that there is offer B on the table. You are really keen on A but B is perm and would be good for development. You will definitely let them know by Tuesday. If they need to know by Friday, you are out.
 
User avatar
cenperro
Posts: 31
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 1:33 pm

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 6th, 2015, 4:30 pm

My advice only applies if honesty is ruled out (you have tried and they already said no). Having said that, If they are not wiling to wait a few more days I do not think you need to take 'their feelings' into account. I know it sound means but, taking A (and change later to B) is a win win situation for you...some will say that you will be burning bridges and alike...in my experience real life is not like that, business is business , this is not friendship and you always have to look for your best interest. I always try to make a clear distinction between professional and personal relationships. A firm/boss is not a friend
 
User avatar
QuantOption
Posts: 269
Joined: February 8th, 2003, 9:00 pm

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 6th, 2015, 7:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKON"A's offer only stands for this week." - Is this a BLUFF ?quite likely not a bluff. More like standard, they want to see your commitment. You can try to get back to them and ask to extend it by saying it's important career decission, you like the job blah blah, obviously don't say you need time to wait for another job offer. If they don't allow it, don't push too much, accept it. And then use it negotiate better offer with B. If B offers, accept, and professionally get back to A saying you can't join them, no need for details, the less you say the better. They won't like it, but tough luck. End of story.
 
User avatar
DDUKON
Topic Author
Posts: 155
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 8:46 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 9:58 am

Recruiter from A has gone full on bullying mode saying , "I have made it clear. The job offer only stands out today. if it goes on next week , it is gone".
 
User avatar
rmax
Posts: 6080
Joined: December 8th, 2005, 9:31 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 10:12 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONRecruiter from A has gone full on bullying mode saying , "I have made it clear. The job offer only stands out today. if it goes on next week , it is gone".If that is the case then perhaps he is telling the truth. You need to pull the trigger in what you are going to do. He might be bluffing...he also might not...
 
User avatar
Gamal
Posts: 2362
Joined: February 26th, 2004, 8:41 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 12:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONRecruiter from A has gone full on bullying mode saying , "I have made it clear. The job offer only stands out today. if it goes on next week , it is gone".Is that a fireman position, where you need to decide fast? If not, they're not serious.
 
User avatar
DDUKON
Topic Author
Posts: 155
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 8:46 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 1:04 pm

I am going to be VERY VERY MEAN now. Accept A and if B happens, reject A and accept B.
 
User avatar
cenperro
Posts: 31
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 1:33 pm

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 1:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONI am going to be VERY VERY MEAN now. Accept A and if B happens, reject A and accept B.Welcome to the adult world!
 
User avatar
DDUKON
Topic Author
Posts: 155
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 8:46 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Entertaining day. Agent A's latest "tell me that you are 100% committed to the role, otherwise they have other candidates on the line. The other candidate is also through me , so I got nothing to lose here " ..My response "I am not saying NO. But I need 1 more day. if your client cannot wait until Monday next week , it is entirely upto you to put forward the other candidate".I am losing A , let it go . Their attitude is only making me frustrated.
 
User avatar
cenperro
Posts: 31
Joined: October 7th, 2014, 1:33 pm

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 4:07 pm

well...nothing you can do now. My bet is that the 'urgency' was not coming from the client but from the recruiter. Hope B comes out and, if not, you can always call back A and check if they are still interested...There is no excess of good candidates out there so If you were the preferred choice on Friday you probably still be on Monday...Good luck with B!
 
User avatar
QuantOption
Posts: 269
Joined: February 8th, 2003, 9:00 pm

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 7th, 2015, 6:24 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: cenperrowell...nothing you can do now. My bet is that the 'urgency' was not coming from the client but from the recruiter.The offer documentation usualy states the expiry date.QuoteOriginally posted by: cenperro... If you were the preferred choice on Friday you probably still be on Monday...Extremely unlikely, both from hiring manager and HR perpective.
 
User avatar
DDUKON
Topic Author
Posts: 155
Joined: September 14th, 2011, 8:46 am

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 8th, 2015, 9:20 am

the offer is all verbal .. and as far as i know , the urgency to accept within a day of putting the offer is very unjustifiable.
 
User avatar
QuantOption
Posts: 269
Joined: February 8th, 2003, 9:00 pm

URGENT SUGGESTION REQUIRED on career decision

August 8th, 2015, 12:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DDUKONthe offer is all verbalyou could have mentioned that as it changes situation quite a bit. As long as you don't have it on paper, the offer stands literally for nothing. You could accept the verbal offer with no bad feelings, it would still take them few days just to get the offer all approved/signed internally until it would get to you. And then you'd likelly have at least few days to read it, sign it and get back to them. So you really likely had no issue at all and on monday you could have two offers to think about. And having an offer from A still on monday could actually increase likelihood of getting offer from B as well!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...


Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...


GZIP: On