Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Memphis
Topic Author

Another CQF worth it?

November 25th, 2015, 6:26 pm

Currently I work as a PM in FI, mainly HY credit, some exposure to multi asset strategies. I like to develop models and try to do that for HY. My background: Master in finance, not maths/ quant/coding heavy at all + CFA.I sometimes regret that I did not do a Phd and lack some maths and coding skills. My firm would pay for the CQF but I would have to stay for another two years which I?m actually not really planning to do. If the CQF is not sponsored, I consider it rather expensive for what it is. I guess it won?t add much to my CV but maybe help a bit for model developing. Basically, I would to do for the fun of it and to finally close that math/coding gap. So any thoughts are more than welcome (I am aware of the fact that there will be a bias in this forum^^) :- Is It actually the right choice to close that maths/coding gap ? I do know VBA (please don?t laugh) and wrote a thesis about option pricing, so I?m not totally clueless?- Recognition of the CQF? In the industry in general, at Hedge Funds, for Quants?- Is it gonna stay or disappear due to free online coding and maths classes?- Anyone who did it: Would you do it again? - Or am I totally insane and wasting my time and money?

Marco72

Another CQF worth it?

November 25th, 2015, 6:47 pm

I did the CQF several years ago, and my employer paid for it. I thought it was a good introduction to mathematical finance. These days it's probably not worth the money, especially since (as I understand) the content has stayed more or less the same since 2007-08. If your employer pays for it, it might be worth doing it. What do you mean by "having to stay for another two years"? How can they force you to stay? What happens if you do the CQF and then quit?

Hansi

Another CQF worth it?

November 25th, 2015, 9:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Marco72What happens if you do the CQF and then quit?Most likely has to repay his employer the fee for the course.

Memphis
Topic Author

Another CQF worth it?

November 26th, 2015, 10:39 am

Thanks for the replies so far. Hansi is right: I have to stay 2 years after finishing the CQF so actually that makes it even 2.5 years from now ;-) If I leave earlier than that, I have to repay my company. I did not know that the content stayed the same. How about practical insight, project work? Are they any good? Simply learning the content would probably be doable by online classes and good books although it will probably take a lot more time. Any other comments?