Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Orbit
Topic Author

Job offer and ensuing hilarity

March 1st, 2016, 8:31 pm

Hello Wil-Mottians,Recently I got a job offer from a Very Big Bank in the big apple. (trading.) The base salary on offer was less than half of what I'm making now. Strangely, they absolutely would not discuss bonuses at all, as if they didn't exist.Remember that episode of Seinfeld where Costanza decided he would start behaving the *opposite* of what his instincts/habits told him? Similarly, I resisted the urge to tell the company to fuck themselves. Instead I tried to act like a gentleman, and declined politely.Is it me, or have others seen this lately? The reluctance to discuss bonuses was really weird, and the whole thing seemed really low-rent.

secret2

March 2nd, 2016, 5:33 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: OrbitThe base salary on offer was less than half of what I'm making now...How did that happen? Doesn't that mean there must have been serious misunderstanding regarding the career level etc.?

mtsm

March 2nd, 2016, 2:25 pm

Well how much base are you making right now? Sounds like $400k or $500k I guess, given what you say, and I'd leave it that way. So, yeah that sucks. And yes banks are in a bad shape. Especially european banks are completely dead. Is it a US bank? Also, sounds like a discretionary package. Why should they discuss bonuses with you?

Orbit
Topic Author

March 2nd, 2016, 3:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: secret2How did that happen? Doesn't that mean there must have been serious misunderstanding regarding the career level etc.?Yes, it was very rushed, and I was shocked at the lack of professionalism from their HR people.QuoteOriginally posted by: mtsm...yes banks are in a bad shape. Especially european banks are completely dead. Is it a US bank?Actually it's a european one. As for the bonus discussion, they wouldn't even verbally discuss the bonus. Presumably it's in the offer letter, but I stopped the conversation before we got there.Keep in mind there are aspects of this story I have obfuscated and or not disclosed, for my privacy as well as for their embarrassment. But I can firmly corroborate that banking is officially a shit-show. Seriously.

ThinkDifferent

March 3rd, 2016, 4:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: OrbitQuote But I can firmly corroborate that banking is officially a shit-show. Seriously.thanks for a firm corroboration, but it's not news. was it UBS? or DB? e.g. if the latter, they didn't discuss a bonus with you because there was nothing to discuss...I am surprised about 50% base cut (I assume they knew how much you making)....you must be on the street (unemployed) or something.
Last edited by ThinkDifferent on March 2nd, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anthis

March 3rd, 2016, 7:02 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: OrbitYes, it was very rushed, and I was shocked at the lack of professionalism from their HR people.There is no such a thing as professionalism of HR people. Why were you shocked?