SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

frolloos
Topic Author

What to do when tired of finance?

July 14th, 2016, 3:47 pm

Ideally a job with some technical requirements, sustainable (I mean really sustainable, so not say sustainable but still invest in China), green (think coral reefs and jungles/forests), doesnt pay too bad, no dysfunctional ego trippers (front office types), etc etc. Possible?

Paul

Re: What to do when tired of finance?

July 14th, 2016, 3:55 pm

If you are tired of finance you are tired of Leif (Andersen). (After Samuel Johnson)

P

frolloos
Topic Author

July 14th, 2016, 4:39 pm

If you are tired of finance you are tired of Leif (Andersen). (After Samuel Johnson)

P
:) the full quote:

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave Finance. No, Sir, when a man is tired of Finance, he is tired of Leif; for there is in Finance all that Leif can afford."

Paul

July 14th, 2016, 4:50 pm

Thank you. My Boswell is in some long-forgotten dusty corner of my library.

P

Cuchulainn

July 14th, 2016, 7:25 pm

Ideally a job with some technical requirements, sustainable (I mean really sustainable, so not say sustainable but still invest in China), green (think coral reefs and jungles/forests), doesnt pay too bad, no dysfunctional ego trippers (front office types), etc etc. Possible?
Tricky IMO. The maths does not transfer easily to engineering. Competing with HBO/HTS programmers is difficult.
A good one is (technical) project management.

Alan

July 14th, 2016, 8:06 pm

Go work for Elon Musk. That guy rocks!

Gamal

July 16th, 2016, 7:51 am

Work for free.

frolloos
Topic Author

July 16th, 2016, 11:37 am

Work for free.
That's a grand idea.

frolloos
Topic Author

July 16th, 2016, 11:43 am

Tricky IMO. The maths does not transfer easily to engineering. Competing with HBO/HTS programmers is difficult.
A good one is (technical) project management.
Yes, I regret not having better programming skills as indeed some of the alternatives I have been contemplating such as fleet optimization, or traffic/urban management & planning, requires it. But as you mention there is the project management side of things.
What is the maths behind fleet optimization (for example)? I can imagine it would involve some graph theory, but also PDEs / diffusion type problems?

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Hi froloos,
By fleet management (logistiek?) you mean routing and transport, for example?
This kind of application is quite mathematical and there are a couple of companies doing this kind of stuff for government studies and so on.

AFAIR PDE are used a bit, mostly convection/wave/ 1st order hyperbolic shock waves kinda.  But graph theory is the big one I reckon.

A not small part is software roll-out, version control and such-like.

// People do update programming courses all the time to suit changing business environments and applications.

Gamal

July 16th, 2016, 12:55 pm

And what about leaving quantitative finance for... finance? Forget coding, forget (financial) models, forget traders with oversized egos. A quant will always be "Look at his eyes, I'll give you a hint, his name is Yang. He won a national math competition in China he doesn't even speak English!" Banks aren't for quants.

frolloos
Topic Author

July 16th, 2016, 1:37 pm

And what about leaving quantitative finance for... finance? Forget coding, forget (financial) models, forget traders with oversized egos. A quant will always be "Look at his eyes, I'll give you a hint, his name is Yang. He won a national math competition in China he doesn't even speak English!" Banks aren't for quants.
What do you mean leave quant for finance (and which Yang?)? As in moving to a corporate function, or VC firm?
(Not all traders are ego-trippers of course - I was being slightly 1-dimensional)

frolloos
Topic Author

July 16th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Hi Cuchulainn, yes route optimization / logistics. I think I'd enjoy working for a firm like KLM for example. I wonder if these firms develop their own optimization software or use vendor / third party software.

Gamal

July 16th, 2016, 2:02 pm

What do you mean leave quant for finance (and which Yang?)? As in moving to a corporate function, or VC firm?
(Not all traders are ego-trippers of course - I was being slightly 1-dimensional)
Yang is an archetypal name for all quants, this was a quote from the movie 'The Big Short.' Quants will always be more or less alien in financial environment. I moved to a corporate function and so far enjoy it.

Cuchulainn

July 16th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Yang is an archetypal name for all quants, this was a quote from the movie 'The Big Short.' Quants will always be more or less alien in financial environment. I moved to a corporate function and so far enjoy it.
Lots of meetings? (we call that vergaderen in the Lowlands).
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On