Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: Bizarro question about torture

February 3rd, 2017, 4:21 pm

The original poll, long taken down, was:

About torture...
A terrorist has tied your baby to a timebomb. You have the terrorist. He tells you that you have one hour before the bomb goes off. Would you include torture as one of the ways to save your baby?

Yes, I would consider torturing the terrorist

No, I would never use torture

[This was based on a Twitter spat on this subject. It was a lot like our discussion except in 140 characters and with death threats.]

Alan
Topic Author

February 3rd, 2017, 4:24 pm

How about the following: You can complain as much as you like about the question, colonialists, Trump, whatever, but only after you've answered yes or no.
Yes, obviously -- torture to save your baby.

Now that I can complain again, my complaint was about pop-ups that can't be dismissed. And while the complaint window is open, the forum still sucks in its use of real estate in ie11. It's not the end of the world, but again, here's what it looks like:

Last edited by Alan on February 3rd, 2017, 5:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Paul

February 3rd, 2017, 4:27 pm

You know what I hate? Forget global warming, plastic in the oceans, babies tied to bombs, pop ups,...I really can't stand it when I go to put dirty plates in the dishwasher and IT'S STILL FULL OF CLEAN THINGS!!! Someone should pay for this.

Alan
Topic Author

February 3rd, 2017, 4:29 pm

I'll take the plates out of your dishwasher if you'll fix ie11 issues. 
Last edited by Alan on February 3rd, 2017, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ISayMoo

February 3rd, 2017, 4:30 pm

You know what I hate? Forget global warming, plastic in the oceans, babies tied to bombs, pop ups,...I really can't stand it when I go to put dirty plates in the dishwasher and IT'S STILL FULL OF CLEAN THINGS!!! Someone should pay for this.
Would you consider torturing the persons responsible?

Paul

February 3rd, 2017, 4:33 pm

Believe me, the relevant member of my family is made to suffer.

outrun

February 3rd, 2017, 5:13 pm

That's nothing... nothing
My wife always removes HALF the clean dishes and then starts puting in dirty ones in the empty spots!!  the clean dishes are placed at random spots throughout our house. 

Traden4Alpha

February 3rd, 2017, 5:25 pm

That's nothing... nothing
My wife always removes HALF the clean dishes and then starts puting in dirty ones in the empty spots!!  the clean dishes are placed at random spots throughout our house. 
What's wrong with that? Don't most computers manage their memory this way?

Paul

February 3rd, 2017, 5:27 pm

My wife does exactly that with clothes!

Is this a "Safe Space" where we can discuss wives?! I hope no wives are lurking here.

ISayMoo

February 3rd, 2017, 5:31 pm

It's a subtle hint.

outrun

February 3rd, 2017, 5:45 pm

Clothes??? How?

We once "had a talk" about a remark I made here about our neighbor lady. So it's not safe.

I also prefer to lock these emotions out instead of discuss them. I sing a song in my head, stare out the window, keep things very relaxing.

Traden4Alpha

February 3rd, 2017, 5:52 pm

If your wives are anything like mine, I'd wager that they know EXACTLY where every piece of dinnerware or clothing is in the house. It's not "random" if theres a pointer to the location.

katastrofa

February 3rd, 2017, 6:01 pm

About torture...
A terrorist has tied your baby to a timebomb. You have the terrorist. He tells you that you have one hour before the bomb goes off. Would you include torture as one of the ways to save your baby?

[This was based on a Twitter spat on this subject. It was a lot like our discussion except in 140 characters and with death threats.]
Thanks. I might consider torture, but I doubt I'd be able to do this - for what price? However, I'm quite sure I would snap and eagerly and ardently performed all the things I naturally reject if the situation involved my husband. I can contain my instincts and my obligations to other people have limits, but I cannot control love. That's the difference between romantic love and "love" to one's children - or, as one of Cuchulainn's favourite poets distinguished it, eugenics. After all, I can always have another child.

Paul

February 3rd, 2017, 6:24 pm

You'd do that for a husband but not a child? Have I misunderstood?

I clearly need to upgrade my wife.

ISayMoo

February 3rd, 2017, 6:26 pm

About torture...

I would consider it, probably - not sure if I'd do it. Maybe if I was sufficiently enraged. Also, thinking rationally instead of stroking our egos, torture is not a very good way of finding out the truth. I'd certainly try other things first. I would also certainly accept that I was breaking the law prohibiting torture and accept the legal punishment. Once you legalise torture under any excuse, it's all downhill from there.

Since you apparently love questions about moral choices: if the terrorists asked you to choose between having your child and your *current* wife killed, what would be your answer?