Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Amin
Topic Author

Strange discrepancy between dates in my thread.

February 3rd, 2017, 1:25 pm

In this thread I started, viewtopic.php?f=4&t=99702 almost all the edit dates on the posts discussion participants edited  have roughly one day earlier edit time stamps than the time stamp when the original post was published on forum. Strange but I guess a system discrepancy. Can somebody tell more.
You think life is a secret, Life is only love of flying, It has seen many ups and downs, But it likes travel more than the destination. Allama Iqbal

Cuchulainn

Re: Strange discrepancy between dates in my thread.

February 4th, 2017, 8:23 am

This seems to be a recurring issue with you. You had similar issue with SRRN as well?

Others don't seems to have this problem (or don't care) so maybe your laptop needs a looking at..

have roughly one day earlier edit time stamps than the time stamp when the original post was published on forum.comn
for example?

outrun

February 4th, 2017, 9:16 am

Amin's computer shouldn't matter, information like timestamp should always be handled by the server: http://security.stackexchange.com/quest ... the-client

I think it's Some general forum issues or unclearness about the meaning of timestamp, and it'll be the same issue for everyone.

Amin thinks that people try to steal his invention and that timestamp on this forums someone can proof something in his defense. None of that is true: no invention, no one stealing it, timestamp are known to prove nothing. 
Last edited by outrun on February 4th, 2017, 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cuchulainn

February 4th, 2017, 9:40 am

I think it's Some general forum issues or unclearness about the meaning of timestamp, and it'll be the same issue for everyone.
Bug or undocumented feature?
Admin, Maybe clear up. Not rocket science and Amin will hopefully be pleased. Otherwise we will still be discussing foreveh.

outrun

February 4th, 2017, 9:45 am

A bug obviously.

Maybe Amin can replicate it? Create a new thread, check the time (is it local time, UTC/UK?) edit the first post a bit later (check the edit time: is it local time or UTC), see if he observes the same issue. Being able to replicate it might make it less paranoid.

Here is a list of reported phpbb3 bug with the keyword "time", maybe it's there..? Or it could be a new bug, or a bug in a different subsystem.

outrun

February 4th, 2017, 9:52 am

looks like the timestamp at the top of posts are in the timezone you've selected in your profile. The timezone of "last edited by .. on <time>"  is always UK time.

..ah, no.. they are both UK?

Cuchulainn

February 4th, 2017, 12:28 pm

looks like the timestamp at the top of posts are in the timezone you've selected in your profile. The timezone of "last edited by .. on <time>"  is always UK time.

..ah, no.. they are both UK?
Good idea. I think that Amin should fill in a BUG REPORT
Bug Report
Bug Title - one liner

Submitter
Your name and a way to contact you

Date Seen
date the bug was found goes here
include the time, if you are submitting more than one bug

Versions
Operating System and version
Software title and version
other installed software, if applicable
hardware information, if applicable

Bug Description
A concise description of what the problem is.  Pure description, no narrative or conversational language.

Severity
Trivial, Minor, Major, or Catastrophic

Steps to Reproduce
  1. Step by step instructions on how to reproduce this bug.
  2. Do not assume anything, the more detailed your list of instructions, the easier it is for the developer to track down the problem!
Actual Behavior
Type what happens when you follow the instructions.  This is the manifestation of the bug.

Expected Behavior
Type what you expected to happen when you followed the instructions.  This is important, because you may have misunderstood something or missed a step, and knowing what you expected to see will help the developer recognize that.

Troubleshooting/Testing Steps Attempted
Describe anything you did to try to fix it on your own.

Workaround
If you found a way to make the program work in spite of the bug, describe how you did it here.

outrun

February 4th, 2017, 12:38 pm

Yes, good idea. 
I've just tried to reproduce it, but couldn't. Maybe the it was fixed during one of the forum updates, or perhaps it was a legacy issue from the old forum. Or maybe someone tampered with the server ram with fake cosmic radiation. 

Cuchulainn

February 4th, 2017, 6:14 pm

I think it was caused by quasi (negative probabilities).

Traden4Alpha

February 4th, 2017, 6:38 pm

It looks like an artifact of the Great Forum Migration (check other old threads, they all seem to have the issue).

It looks like the timestamps on edits of old posts lost their time-of-day portion and the new software used the old time stamp date portion with 00:00 in a UTC+1 time zone (maybe BST?) for the time portion.

outrun

February 4th, 2017, 6:53 pm

Excellent investigation T4A. So it was a date/time rounding bug in the old forum? The switch from the old to the new forum happened around July 10, 2016.

Traden4Alpha

February 4th, 2017, 7:03 pm

That seems to be the best hypothesis so far -- edit dates were rounded down with 00:00 BST (or similar) being used as the missing time-of-day value. I wonder it it's an issue with a deprecated date/time format or bug in the forum DB conversion calling something that only got the day of the edit as opposed to the full day-and-time of the edit.

Note that I only looked at four threads. All of them showed this pattern but the sample size is low and I did not find a super strong example of a buggy edit date on July 9th and a correct edit date on July 11th.

Cuchulainn

February 5th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Just buy a new clock.

Traden4Alpha

February 6th, 2017, 2:04 am

Just buy a new clock.

Hello, Dali!

...or is this an example of the "Ductile Malleability of the Temporal"?

Cuchulainn

February 6th, 2017, 7:25 am

Just buy a new clock.

Hello, Dali!

...or is this an example of the "Ductile Malleability of the Temporal"?
or maybe ineluctable modality of the visible? Or  ineluctable modality of the audible depending on the clock?