Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

galvinator
Topic Author

Unable to change email address

August 8th, 2018, 9:33 am

Hi,

My name is Galvin and I am a new member in Wilmott's forums. 

I am unable to update my email address. Each time I attempt to change my email address, the system informs me to update using a valid email address. However, the email I intend to update with is a valid hotmail address, which ends with hotmail.com 

Has anyone encountered similar problems? May I ask what is the solution? I would appreciate any advice. 

Many Thanks.

Galvin 

ppauper

Re: Unable to change email address

August 8th, 2018, 11:14 am

it's not just you: the system won't let anyone use hotmail, gmail, etc as an email address these days.

galvinator
Topic Author

August 8th, 2018, 11:21 am

Hey Ppauper, 

Thanks for the reply. 
Do you happen to know of any email providers whose email addresses would be accepted by the system? 
I am currently using my university's email address but that would not be a permanent solution. 

ppauper

August 8th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Maybe someone else can help out, but I don't know the answer.

One solution might be if your school gives out either stand-alone email addresses to alumni, or email forwarding.
As a random example, Harvard:
Email Forwarding
Harvard Alumni Affairs and Development offers an email forwarding service to all Harvard University alumni.
An alumni.harvard email forwarding address is an address in the format [email protected], which can be set to forward to a designated email address.  Alumni can create an alumni.harvard email forwarding address by logging in to alumni.harvard using their HarvardKey, then activating email forwarding.

As for wilmott, this has been discussed at least twice before, and no one offered a solution.
2010: Profile Email Address Bugs
We no longer allow use of Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN addresses etc. If you try to use one you may get locked out. You must use only a work/academic address. The system will send a new password (one that will work) to the new email address. If you continue to have problems, email me directly, [email protected].

2011: Is it ok to change the registered email account?
Should you choose to edit your email address, you cannot use any public accounts such as Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo etc. Please ensure you change it to a business, academic or personally registered domain email address.

galvinator
Topic Author

August 8th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Hey Ppauper,

Thanks for the help! 
I'll try out the alumni mail. Hoping it will work! 

Galvin