Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

spacemonkey
Topic Author

Allow users to upload souls

June 4th, 2009, 11:08 pm

As per title - users should be allowed to upload captured souls, or their own souls if they still have them, in acrobat format.

trackstar

June 4th, 2009, 11:26 pm

Let's add an OTC exchange for these souls. Vibrant secondary and tertiary markets would bring brisk trade.And let me be the first to bid for your soul spacemonkey.I will offer my complete collection of Patti Smith vinyl, including Easter.
Last edited by trackstar on June 4th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

June 5th, 2009, 12:42 am

Would these souls be in PDF = Psyche Document Format?Once we get a secondary market in souls, we'll need derivatives such a ABS (Afterlife-Backed Securities) and up-to-heaven-and-out options. I'm assuming that all future contracts on souls will be settled by physical delivery to the pearly gates.

MCarreira

June 5th, 2009, 1:08 am

No, contracts are signed in blood and specify spiritual delivery.Lookback options in souls are quite dangerous to write ... just ask Orpheus (Lot's wife also had problems with a similar option, although you should take this tale with a grain of salt).

trackstar

June 5th, 2009, 1:11 am

I see an opportunity for a new book here:T=Eternity: A Complete Guide to Option Pricing Formulas for Souls. ***Just think of the exotics: Tibetan Butterflies, Egyptian Mummies, the Sarcophageal Smile and Hedging the Volatility of Nothingness...

MCarreira

June 5th, 2009, 1:32 am

Asian Option: Your soul is called but it can be put back on the path to NirvanaAmerican Option: Your soul is called together with other subprime souls, repackaged and sold as a saint tranche, a god-fearing, churchgoer tranche, and a wayward soul trancheEuropean Option: Your soul will only be called at the Apocalipse, but you'll have to wait on the Limbo until there, with English food and Italian organization.

trackstar

June 5th, 2009, 1:48 am

and German humor!

Traden4Alpha

June 5th, 2009, 2:05 am

Now we just need to wait for the 3-volume "Paul Wilmott on Quantitative Divinity."

trackstar

June 5th, 2009, 2:15 am

With introduction by? ***Aaron would be a good choice:

ppauper

June 5th, 2009, 8:38 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: spacemonkeyAs per title - users should be allowed to upload captured souls, or their own souls if they still have them, in acrobat format.I was going to say that those posters out there without souls would feel excluded, but I suppose allowing them to post captured souls would include them

Traden4Alpha

June 5th, 2009, 10:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperQuoteOriginally posted by: spacemonkeyAs per title - users should be allowed to upload captured souls, or their own souls if they still have them, in acrobat format.I was going to say that those posters out there without souls would feel excluded, but I suppose allowing them to post captured souls would include themWho knows, maybe some soulless folk will find better replacement souls on the open market (see, free markets work! ).There might even be opportunities for soul arbitrage -- sell your soul to the devil for a high price, buy back a captured soul in the secondary market for a low price, rinse, and repeat. The tricky part is optimizing the quality of souls purchased -- the devil pays extremely high prices for AAA-rated souls but such souls often fail to do the devilish deed (one needs to buy Christian Default Swaps as insurance against the soul's default on the devil's contract). Junk-souls aren't worth much to anyone because the devil knows he'll get these anyway for free at the soul's contract expiration. The optimum rating is probably around BBB-.

trackstar

June 5th, 2009, 11:21 am

The soul exchange acronym: SEXAnd the ETFs, carved by ratings, are in the: SINDEX

Hamilton

June 5th, 2009, 11:58 pm

The gatekeeper

trackstar

June 6th, 2009, 12:24 am

I would like to offer daveangel a trading position on the All Soul's Swaps desk. He tried to get something going in Pandemics awhile back, but there were no takers.April 28:Paul: Can you buy options on the WHO Alert Level?daveangel: I am 1 offered in the 5 strike call for 3 months ! April 29:daveangel: 5 strike call is ATM ... I am still 1 offered for 3 mthsBut radio silence. I just don't know the WHO Pandemic Alert space that well. ***Wonder if he will have any interest?
Last edited by trackstar on June 5th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

June 6th, 2009, 11:58 am

If you are familiar with Aristotle's Nicomachean Ethics, you will recall that he laid out a structure that may be useful in the valuation of Souls. Aristotle saw the soul as existing in three parts, each of which had a specific function:Nutritive Soul (vegetative soul) - found in plants, animals and human beings; responsible for growth and reproduction Perceptive Soul (sensitive soul) - found in animals and man; responsible for perception via the senses Rational Soul - found in humans only; responsible for thinking So in addition to the rated tranches, we can also offer bundles within and across life forms.
Last edited by trackstar on June 5th, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.