Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Wish list for www.wilmott.com V2.0

April 30th, 2013, 5:32 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quartzQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxLike and dislike button.I like the like/dislike suggestion. And T4A does too, afair.T4A likes/dislikes the like/dislike? What about a fuzzy like in the range [0,1], e.g. I like the post 0.0001 or 0.999999? Thn use this as a basis for a MIS popularity system. Instead of saying poster XXY ...
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 29th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags
Topic Author

April 30th, 2013, 5:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: quartzQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxLike and dislike button.I like the like/dislike suggestion. And T4A does too, afair.T4A likes/dislikes the like/dislike? What about a fuzzy like in the range [0,1], e.g. I like the post 0.0001 or 0.999999? Then use this as a basis for a MIS popularity system. Instead of saying poster XXY ...The statistics concerning who likes/dislikes which message can be interesting

trackstar

April 30th, 2013, 7:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quartzQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxLike and dislike button.I like the like/dislike suggestion. And T4A does too, afair.Also some mechanism to fork (ex post) parts of a thread that has gone off topic, by creating a new thread or moving a block to another one... (there'd need to be some voting/acceptance mechanism from all involved posters though). A mechanism to switch on/off inside a thread all the "chat/OT" posts contributing noise (again with voting/acceptance...) and hiding the signal.Could you give an example of the latter case?You might mean zerdna's posts on my new investment thread, which would be understandable, but I am an advocate for free speech and also embrace thread drift.People who are committed to their threads drag them back on topic eventually.
Last edited by trackstar on April 29th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

April 30th, 2013, 7:38 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: quartzQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxLike and dislike button.I like the like/dislike suggestion. And T4A does too, afair.T4A likes/dislikes the like/dislike? What about a fuzzy like in the range [0,1], e.g. I like the post 0.0001 or 0.999999? Then use this as a basis for a MIS popularity system. Instead of saying poster XXY ...The statistics concerning who likes/dislikes which message can be interesting I want a real-time PCA of the covariance of likes/dislikes for all Wilmott members! Quartz knows me well and Cuchulainn knows me better. I like/semi-dislike the like/dislike button concept. Like buttons are great but I've seen at least two social media systems polluted by troll-floods on the dislike system. A dislike button needs some tempering counterforce (e.g., limit one dislike per person per day, require N likes per dislike, dilute a person's dislikes so that their dislikes lose strength if they post too many)

Cuchulainn

May 1st, 2013, 7:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: edouardQuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: quartzQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxLike and dislike button.I like the like/dislike suggestion. And T4A does too, afair.T4A likes/dislikes the like/dislike? What about a fuzzy like in the range [0,1], e.g. I like the post 0.0001 or 0.999999? Then use this as a basis for a MIS popularity system. Instead of saying poster XXY ...The statistics concerning who likes/dislikes which message can be interesting I want a real-time PCA of the covariance of likes/dislikes for all Wilmott members! Quartz knows me well and Cuchulainn knows me better. I like/semi-dislike the like/dislike button concept. Like buttons are great but I've seen at least two social media systems polluted by troll-floods on the dislike system. A dislike button needs some tempering counterforce (e.g., limit one dislike per person per day, require N likes per dislike, dilute a person's dislikes so that their dislikes lose strength if they post too many)This MIS is similar to a ManPower Control (MPC) for estimating, scheduling and monitoring the hours used in engineering projects, per project, department and divisions. Each worker is allocated so may hours per month per project. Ovverruns lead to escalation procedures. A similar system is disk allocation on expensive DEC disks.So, here it's the same real-time Resource Allocation System where the resources the number of likes/dislikes. For reporting, a hot link to SAS or R is useful.There are 6 main subsystems:1. Data acquisition from Wilmott forum2. Customer DB3. Registration (cust + allocated stuff)4. Monitoring and aggregation5. WatchDog escalation system6. ReportingHave written this twice (1) engineering companies (first on Apple II then miniKomputer; product survived 17 years LOL) and (2) disk allocation in big oil company. It's all about resources.I'm sure T4A and others would know all the requiremnents/use cases.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 30th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 1st, 2013, 7:58 am

Quotee.g., limit one dislike per person per day, require N likes per dislike, dilute a person's dislikes so that their dislikes lose strength if they post too many)This is defined in the Registration system. It is interesting when the inflection point happens.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on April 30th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

May 2nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

Being annoying is neither necessary nor sufficient for banning.People very rarely get banned, and then mostly for self promotion without helping others*, potentially libellous statements. And some for trying to get back in multiple times after being banned once.P*That reminds me, I really ought to ban everyone from a certain college in NYC! They promote themselves all the time and I've yet to see anyone from there actually help anyone, or even show the tiniest amount of knowledge about quant finance!

rmax

May 7th, 2013, 1:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha A dislike button needs some tempering counterforce (e.g., limit one dislike per person per day, require N likes per dislike, dilute a person's dislikes so that their dislikes lose strength if they post too many)Next you will want the same limits on going short stock!

Traden4Alpha

May 7th, 2013, 1:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha A dislike button needs some tempering counterforce (e.g., limit one dislike per person per day, require N likes per dislike, dilute a person's dislikes so that their dislikes lose strength if they post too many)Next you will want the same limits on going short stock!LOL! But that's quite opposite of what I'd advocate! I'm advocating that disliking being more like shorting. Shorting has costs and risks to the shortseller. If "dislikes" had costs and risks to the disliker, then disliking would be self-moderating. The places that I've seen corrupted by dislikes had systems that allowed unlimited anonymous assaults.

tags
Topic Author

May 7th, 2013, 2:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaQuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4Alpha A dislike button needs some tempering counterforce (e.g., limit one dislike per person per day, require N likes per dislike, dilute a person's dislikes so that their dislikes lose strength if they post too many)Next you will want the same limits on going short stock!LOL! But that's quite opposite of what I'd advocate! I'm advocating that disliking being more like shorting. Shorting has costs and risks to the shortseller. If "dislikes" had costs and risks to the disliker, then disliking would be self-moderating. The places that I've seen corrupted by dislikes had systems that allowed unlimited anonymous assaults.Unlimited dislikes? Seems like a satisfaction poll on President Hollande's leading the country.
Last edited by tags on May 6th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

May 10th, 2013, 10:32 am

One dislike is a tragedy; a million dislikes is a statistic.

tags
Topic Author

August 24th, 2013, 3:35 pm

It would be nice we could embed tweets in message, Sir.

Administrator

August 25th, 2013, 8:05 am

Will look into this...
Last edited by Administrator on August 24th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.