Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar
Topic Author

Ode to a Quantian Garbage Can

October 20th, 2014, 11:37 pm

The OT is overflowing with mindlessness and muck these days and it is almost impossible to start a new thread on any Off but somewhat content-rich Topic that does not immediately wind up waylaid or dragged directly into the gutter.Therefore, O Admin, wouldest thou consider adding a Garbage Can to the list of Forums and we can clean things up a bit?Not sure what a proper mechanism for relegation to said Garbage Can would be (with ease of admin in mind), but maybe it would self-organize. Or people who are perpetual offenders could be exiled there until further notice.
Last edited by trackstar on October 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

October 20th, 2014, 11:55 pm

Tis easy to ignore the wonton wastrel's vulgar verbiage. In fact, it is attention to their unwanted words that invites their prurient prose.So start some threads and spray them with stain protector.

ppauper

October 21st, 2014, 12:12 am

I believe another forum (if it still exists) has a blender

trackstar
Topic Author

October 21st, 2014, 12:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaTis easy to ignore the wonton wastrel's vulgar verbiage. In fact, it is attention to their unwanted words that invites their prurient prose.So start some threads and spray them with stain protector. We'll see. I think a number of lurkers are waiting for the tide to turn, maybe trying to push a little here and there, but we are quite busy (no global financial crisis on at the moment) and there are other places to be.If you think back to those dark days of 2007-2009, it was like a weird village saloon here, but we had more time on our hands and hence greater capacity for mischief and brawls then.
Last edited by trackstar on October 20th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar
Topic Author

October 21st, 2014, 12:21 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ppauperI believe another forum (if it still exists) has a blenderIt does exist and it does have a blender.

daveangel

October 21st, 2014, 6:40 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarThe OT is overflowing with mindlessness and muck these days and it is almost impossible to start a new thread on any Off but somewhat content-rich Topic that does not immediately wind up waylaid or dragged directly into the gutter.Therefore, O Admin, wouldest thou consider adding a Garbage Can to the list of Forums and we can clean things up a bit?Not sure what a proper mechanism for relegation to said Garbage Can would be (with ease of admin in mind), but maybe it would self-organize. Or people who are perpetual offenders could be exiled there until further notice.I am not sure I agree.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

trackstar
Topic Author

October 21st, 2014, 8:00 am

There is nothing wrong with mentioning the idea of a garbage can in the Website Bugs and Suggestions Forum. There is also nothing wrong with posting to a garbage can, but in addition to the OT it might make the Forum a bit bottom-heavy.As for imaginary ponies, no, the lurkers are not imaginary and I communicate with some of them.Finally, yes, social evolution is another way to see it.

trackstar
Topic Author

October 21st, 2014, 8:06 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarThe OT is overflowing with mindlessness and muck these days and it is almost impossible to start a new thread on any Off but somewhat content-rich Topic that does not immediately wind up waylaid or dragged directly into the gutter.Therefore, O Admin, wouldest thou consider adding a Garbage Can to the list of Forums and we can clean things up a bit?Not sure what a proper mechanism for relegation to said Garbage Can would be (with ease of admin in mind), but maybe it would self-organize. Or people who are perpetual offenders could be exiled there until further notice.I am not sure I agree.The last line, in particular, was meant in jest. No one would be exiled to the garbage can.Some of our discussions would fit there too, so there is no glass house stone throwing here.

trackstar
Topic Author

April 2nd, 2015, 11:54 am

Well, got shot down about this last fall, but might be worth revisiting.Cuchulainn is asking for a blender.A Garbage Can with voting mechanism might also be a solution.I have noticed elsewhere that you can voluntarily start threads in one, or if a thread gets 5 (or maybe 7) votes, it will go there on its on.Would be a big boost for the OT and it is somewhat democratic. It's also useful feedback for the thread originator.Note: when I said people would be put there in the OP here, I was *joking*. This thread was supposed to be funny while still making a point!
Last edited by trackstar on April 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

April 2nd, 2015, 1:48 pm

Hmmm... democratic censorship sounds like a tyranny of the majority to me.As much as some threads and some posters upset me, it's clear by the active participation in those threads that my views may not be universal. I can (and should) choose to ignore such threads and such posters if they displease me so much. And if the mere presence of those alternative views upsets me, then it is my fault.A garbage can or blender feature that lets any subgroup of the Wilmott community stifle another subgroup of Wilmott community seems like the wrong tool for an open internet forum, especially one labeled "Off Topic" which is by definition already is the blender category where all manner of viewpoints should be allowed to mix.The only feature that I might ask for is a tool that lets each individual create their own "ignore list" so that that individual does not see posts and threads by people on that list. Yet I must say that I feel weak-minded for asking for this feature because I should be adult enough to filter it myself.P.S. I seem to recall someone creating some clever bit of javascript or CSS a number of years ago that implemented a kind of ignore list feature. Perhaps that would solve the problem for people who feel there is a problem.

Paul

April 2nd, 2015, 2:44 pm

a) We do not want to encourage further weakness in the human race. If you can't stand the heat...b) You might (or might not) be surprised that people who ask for such censorship are the ones who other people (in moments of weakness) want censored.c) This is not a democracy. We, or more precisely, I, know best.P

Traden4Alpha

April 2nd, 2015, 3:14 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Paula) We do not want to encourage further weakness in the human race. If you can't stand the heat...b) You might (or might not) be surprised that people who ask for such censorship are the ones who other people (in moments of weakness) want censored.c) This is not a democracy. We, or more precisely, I, know best.P+1 (OK, maybe +0.5 on point c ;-) )

trackstar
Topic Author

April 2nd, 2015, 8:51 pm

Hello hello,This is not about my being angry or offended - I am happy for there to be all kinds of content. As far out as you can get. (If you doubt my sincerity, consider my interactions with Errrb. He was way out there - if you want some Forum "heat" test his name out in search.)I was just thinking in terms of organization.From time to time threads are moved from General to the OT, or Technical to Student.This is helpful for people navigating the Forums and in the latter case, may give a better result for the OP.It is true that I am quite busy these days, so perhaps selfishly wanted to add a layer here that would save me some time in scanning the OT. I also think a bit about quality and who we attract to post in the OT, but never mind. As outrun noted - these things change over time and we should just roll with it, I suppose.However, to me censorship would entail banning someone, or deleting a thread, not simple relocation. I am not a fan of banning, deleting threads, or, as Traden suggested blocking - and I would not use a feature like that myself. The point is not total avoidance, it is about Internet time and light content management.Anyway, I appreciate your views and particularly Paul's point 2) - I can't imagine who he means, but she must have been a very bad girl sometimes. Shame on her! ;)Peace, love, and happiness to all Wilmotters,TS
Last edited by trackstar on April 1st, 2015, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.