Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

trackstar
Topic Author

New post not visible when poster is logged out

January 25th, 2016, 12:57 pm

I created a post in the RIP thread and it went up fine and I can see it when I am logged in. I had a quick look after logging out to check on a possible typo and it was not visible to me then. That seemed very strange, so I logged back in and I could see it again. I had edited it twice for content.Here is the current version; I am not sure why this might happen. Many thanks to Admin for working on all of the complexities behind the scenes and no urgency here, just letting you know. The thread listing (outer Forum layer) does show a post by me at 8:30 am/1:30 pm as being the last one on that thread.Off Topic All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Post non quant messages here. Anything (legal) goes... 8498 Mon Jan 25, 16 01:30 PMby trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarA tribute to those who like harsh wilderness adventures.British explorer Henry Worsley dies crossing Antarctic - CNN Jan 25 "British explorer Henry Worsley has died attempting to be the first person to cross the Antarctic unaided, in an epic charity mission inspired by Ernest Shackleton...after having trekked around 913 miles across the South Pole -- just 30 miles short of his end goal.Worsley was 71 days into his record-breaking solo mission to complete legendary British explorer Ernest Shackleton's unsuccessful crossing of Antarctica a century ago, but he was forced to call for help on Friday amid blizzard conditions, and in poor health he was airlifted to hospital."He almost made it.RIP
Last edited by trackstar on January 24th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

January 25th, 2016, 1:22 pm

along this line, the other day i continued to appear in the list of users currently logged in after I had logged out.

trackstar
Topic Author

January 25th, 2016, 1:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tagomaalong this line, the other day i continued to appear in the list of users currently logged in after I had logged out.That is not the same thing - we all endure a little bit after logging out as the server refresh rate is probably set at 10 minutes or so for that sort of thing. Does a kind of sweep periodically.Cuch or outrun would know how that works, but who's on and who's off is not like posting or editing a post, which happens more or less instantly.My problem here could be related to some networking issues that I am trying to figure out (may just need a new wireless router) and/or deprecated browser use on older machines. I get error messages more and more often these days - aside from things on Forum side, pages hang, don't load at all, etc. Not just W but elsewhere too - so that would clearly not be Admin's problem. (And I am not seeking advice on that - I will handle it - thanks!)
Last edited by trackstar on January 24th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

January 25th, 2016, 2:44 pm

It's not just trackster's post or being logged out. There's a flaw in the "Last" button on that thread that takes one to:http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... =54instead of:http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... PAGE=55The forum DB thinks page 54 is the last one, but it's not.

Paul

January 25th, 2016, 3:25 pm

It's the ghost of the RIP thread non-death, parallel universes. I remember a Roger Moore film just like this.P
Last edited by Paul on January 24th, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tags

January 25th, 2016, 3:33 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaIt's not just trackster's post or being logged out. There's a flaw in the "Last" button on that thread that takes one to:http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... =54instead of:http://www.wilmott.com/messageview.cfm? ... PAGE=55The forum DB thinks page 54 is the last one, but it's not.it started the count at 0?

Paul

January 25th, 2016, 3:53 pm

The Man Who Haunted Himself.P

Cuchulainn

January 26th, 2016, 7:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulThe Man Who Haunted Himself.PLink fixed.

Paul

January 26th, 2016, 7:31 pm

Thanks!P

Cuchulainn

January 26th, 2016, 7:58 pm

You're welcome :)

Administrator

January 27th, 2016, 6:28 am

I'll look into this and see what I can do... JamesQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarI created a post in the RIP thread and it went up fine and I can see it when I am logged in. I had a quick look after logging out to check on a possible typo and it was not visible to me then. That seemed very strange, so I logged back in and I could see it again. I had edited it twice for content.Here is the current version; I am not sure why this might happen. Many thanks to Admin for working on all of the complexities behind the scenes and no urgency here, just letting you know. The thread listing (outer Forum layer) does show a post by me at 8:30 am/1:30 pm as being the last one on that thread.Off Topic All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Post non quant messages here. Anything (legal) goes... 8498 Mon Jan 25, 16 01:30 PMby trackstarQuoteOriginally posted by: trackstarA tribute to those who like harsh wilderness adventures.British explorer Henry Worsley dies crossing Antarctic - CNN Jan 25 "British explorer Henry Worsley has died attempting to be the first person to cross the Antarctic unaided, in an epic charity mission inspired by Ernest Shackleton...after having trekked around 913 miles across the South Pole -- just 30 miles short of his end goal.Worsley was 71 days into his record-breaking solo mission to complete legendary British explorer Ernest Shackleton's unsuccessful crossing of Antarctica a century ago, but he was forced to call for help on Friday amid blizzard conditions, and in poor health he was airlifted to hospital."He almost made it.RIP