Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

ppauper

Re: Questions on the new style

September 4th, 2016, 5:45 pm

Questionnaire on Jeremy C was asked twice.
JC is best thing since sliced bread. Is that the correct answer?
Jeremy C is nice, vote for him twice?
Jeremy is a very nice man but voting twice amounts to gerrymandering. I thought we had left that all behind, what?
electoral fraud, yes, but isn't gerrymandering the redrawing of electoral districts to help one party or another?
Maryland's 3rd congressional district

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 5th, 2016, 7:25 pm

There is so much grey text that 1) we miss information 2) it is kind of bland to look at.

The text style of the old forum was more clear. A bit of colour would do no harm.

ppauper

September 21st, 2016, 6:27 pm

poll results?
we're having all these polls when we log on, can we at least see the results?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 22nd, 2016, 6:57 pm

I suspect that links in a Wilmott post to other Wilmott posts (made before June 2016) are lost forever as they are hard-coded.

So, extrapolating into the future, will this link survive after a new version at some future date?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=100162

is this info hard-coded?

is it ??

Page not found (404)

Traden4Alpha

September 23rd, 2016, 11:32 am

I suspect that links in a Wilmott post to other Wilmott posts (made before June 2016) are lost forever as they are hard-coded.

So, extrapolating into the future, will this link survive after a new version at some future date?

is this info hard-coded?

is it ??

Page not found (404)
There's been a change in the structure of Wilmott forum URLs.

Any page on the internet that had links to a Wilmott forum items is now dead.

It also means that Google searches which find material on Wilmott are also broken.

I'm surprised there not some simple regex to catch old URLs, convert then to new ones, and serve the proper page.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 23rd, 2016, 4:50 pm

is this info hard-coded?

is it ??

Page not found (404)

It also means that Google searches which find material on Wilmott are also broken.

I'm surprised there not some simple regex to catch old URLs, convert then to new ones, and serve the proper page.
I once reordered the 900 user VAX/VMS directories into logical clusters in an oil business. I used logical names for hard-coded disks. So far so good, But then I had to write a dictionary of <old/new> department names when dept names changes.
It is worth thinking about this issue going fwd in the current context. Admin. I suspect there are many zombie threads out there.

Traden4Alpha

September 23rd, 2016, 7:51 pm

is this info hard-coded?

is it ??

Page not found (404)

I once reordered the 900 user VAX/VMS directories into logical clusters in an oil business. I used logical names for hard-coded disks. So far so good, But then I had to write a dictionary of <old/new> department names when dept names changes.
It is worth thinking about this issue going fwd in the current context. Admin. I suspect there are many zombie threads out there.
This problem is rampant on the web and with computers and it makes me stark raving mad!

The computer always knows exactly which chunks were moved or renamed and could easily construct, maintain, and offer a mapping between old and new organization schemes or name spaces.

If the United States Postal Service can create a change-of-address service that forwards actual physical stuff from the old address to the new one, you'd think that computer system architects could do the same for mere bits and bytes, too.

But no! GRRRRRRRRRR!

The lazy idiots that create operating systems, file systems, and content management systems should have their eyeballs removed using their own pucked-out fingernails for not creating systems in which the default behavior is to log what's been moved where and facilitate flexible retrieval.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 23rd, 2016, 8:51 pm

This problem is rampant on the web and with computers and it makes me stark raving mad!

The computer always knows exactly which chunks were moved or renamed and could easily construct, maintain, and offer a mapping between old and new organization schemes or name spaces.

If the United States Postal Service can create a change-of-address service that forwards actual physical stuff from the old address to the new one, you'd think that computer system architects could do the same for mere bits and bytes, too.

But no!  GRRRRRRRRRR!

The lazy idiots that create operating systems, file systems, and content management systems should have their eyeballs removed using their own pucked-out fingernails for not creating systems in which the default behavior is to log what's been moved where and facilitate flexible retrieval.
Developers live in their own little world - whether it be OS, app or game - and have no knowledge of what is happening outside that world. They have not thought it through.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland_(2007_film)
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 23rd, 2016, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outrun

September 23rd, 2016, 8:52 pm

Mine is kids with man buns.

Traden4Alpha

September 23rd, 2016, 9:28 pm

But no!  GRRRRRRRRRR!

Developers live in their own little world - whether it be OS, app or game - and have no knowledge of what is happening outside that world. They have not thought it through.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland_(2007_film)
Exactly!

The human mind is not thread safe and the real word is deeply multithreaded!

More so than ever before, every file system, namespace, or content organization system has outside agents running there own threads that contain mental or computational pointers to the existing data structure. Moving or renaming objects without retaining a mapping breaks things badly.

I'd bet that those developers have man buns, too!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 3rd, 2016, 2:00 pm

Here is a screen shot; look at the vast empty spaces to the East while to the West coast it looks like a tectonic plate.
Attachments
ScreenEstate.jpg

tags

September 12th, 2017, 6:56 pm

Hello everyone.  Would it be possible to add a feature making it easy to post tweets in the forums?  Merci

outrun

September 12th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Doesn't posting a URL work?? like this?

Last edited by outrun on September 12th, 2017, 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

outrun

September 12th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Nope, it said it would..

tags

September 12th, 2017, 9:50 pm

hi outrun. i mean a twitter widget would be nice, instead of showing the sole link to the tweet.
anyway, we'll probably survive without it.   jaja