Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions on the new style

July 13th, 2016, 6:15 pm

I think you can solve that by setting your timezone in your "User Control Pannel" > "Board Preferences", you can go there by clicking on your avatar at the top right.

Can you let us know if that works?

Alan

July 13th, 2016, 7:00 pm

yes -- thanks -- that solves my time issue.

trackstar

July 13th, 2016, 7:13 pm

yes -- thanks -- that solves my time issue.
That was not so hard.
I could use some help with the space-time issue - do we have some adjustable settings for that?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 13th, 2016, 7:38 pm

I think you can solve that by setting your timezone in your "User Control Pannel" > "Board Preferences", you can go there by clicking on your avatar at the top right.

Is it possible to set a time zone in the future, e.g. 2 days ahead of everyone else.

Alan

July 13th, 2016, 8:14 pm

yes -- thanks -- that solves my time issue.
That was not so hard.
I could use some help with the space-time issue - do we have some adjustable settings for that?
It's just a jump to the left, or something ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkplPbd2f60

admin
Site Admin

July 13th, 2016, 8:54 pm

Is it possible to set a time zone in the future, e.g. 2 days ahead of everyone else.
via http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-time-zone/
As the Earth rotates on its axis, the Sun shines on only one part of the Earth at a time. 
While the sun shines where you live, it’s nighttime somewhere else. When you’re eating 
your breakfast cereal, children in Paris are finishing the school day and children in 
Moscow are eating dinner. Children in Bangkok are going to bed and children in Sydney, 
Australia are getting up for the next day of school.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 14th, 2016, 7:28 am

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 14th, 2016, 7:43 am

As the Earth rotates on its axis, the Sun shines on only one part of the Earth at a time. 
While the sun shines where you live, it’s nighttime somewhere else. When you’re eating 
your breakfast cereal, children in Paris are finishing the school day and children in 
Moscow are eating dinner. Children in Bangkok are going to bed and children in Sydney, 
Ah, life's rich tapestry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou204dQbKwc

ppauper

July 14th, 2016, 11:54 am

via http://easyscienceforkids.com/all-about-the-time-zone/
Ah, life's rich tapestry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou204dQbKwc
there's a special button for videos now, second right, red square with an arrow inside
for the video
[ youtube ]LSRQfdtSJSA[ /youtube ]

Traden4Alpha

July 14th, 2016, 12:15 pm

Actually, I'm sure Cuchulainn's request is possible because I'd bet the software stores the time zone as an offset from UTC. Although one can't use the User Control Panel UI to set an offset other than those in the pick list, if one can directly set that number by other means than any number of hours might be used.  And if directly hacking in a number in the database is an appalling thought, then the constructor of the PHP DateTimeZone class could be used to create a new time zone (perhaps one where it is always 'summer time') for our favorite Celtic Reconstructionist.

admin
Site Admin

July 14th, 2016, 8:08 pm

Actually, I'm sure Cuchulainn's request is possible because I'd bet the software stores the time zone as an offset from UTC. Although one can't use the User Control Panel UI to set an offset other than those in the pick list, if one can directly set that number by other means than any number of hours might be used.  And if directly hacking in a number in the database is an appalling thought, then the constructor of the PHP DateTimeZone class could be used to create a new time zone (perhaps one where it is always 'summer time') for our favorite Celtic Reconstructionist.
But only one person can do that (the 'everyone else clause' (if you still believe in aether))

Traden4Alpha

July 14th, 2016, 8:22 pm

But only one person can do that (the 'everyone else clause' (if you still believe in aether))
Quite so! Otherwise it would create a timezone arms race with each party scanning the list of UTC offsets, adding their +48 hours, and waiting for the next round of escalation.

(I wonder when the UTC offset would exceed e^5... )

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 16th, 2016, 4:49 am

The colour scheme looks a bit bland compared to the old style. In particular, it is not clear if new posts have appeared in a given forum. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to.

I don't understand the structure/rational of the home page.

Traden4Alpha

July 16th, 2016, 10:06 am

The colour scheme looks a bit bland compared to the old style. In particular, it is not clear if new posts have appeared in a given forum. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to.

I don't understand the structure/rational of the home page.
Indeed! There's too much white space -- the main page of the old forum used to fit on one page but now I have to scroll (and that's on a 4k monitor).

But, for me at least, the new system does a much better job of indicating the existence of unread posts which embolden the forum titles or thread titles in those respective views.

ppauper

July 16th, 2016, 10:26 am

I'm starting to use the "view source" button on the left, because it makes dealing with links/attachments easier