Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Dina
Topic Author

a formula for a skier sliding down a hill

March 4th, 2008, 2:55 am

Hi everyone!I am trying to make up a logo for a team i manage and I need a formula of a skier sliding down a hill. I thought that it looked like the Brownian motion formula in pricing equities just in my case the movement (of the skier) is towards axis inception.I, of course, can put any formula, but I would love to have the one that would describe the movement, so that the logo would really look professional.Your every idea is very much appreciated!!
Last edited by Dina on March 4th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Athletico

March 4th, 2008, 4:31 pm

How bout:where v is speed, theta is the incline of the hill and g = 9.8 meters/sec/secBrownian motion actually might describe the path of some of the teenage snowboarders I've seen on Aspen Mtn.

Paul

March 4th, 2008, 6:20 pm

At least put in some wind resistance to make it nonlinear!P

Traden4Alpha

March 4th, 2008, 6:56 pm

Shouldn't it be a jump process? It wouldn't be Poisson because that's for water skiing. I'm thinking it's probably Cauchy because people tend to land on their fat tails.

Athletico

March 4th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Nonlinearities always make things untidy -- particularly a logo Plus, you have the question: Should the wind resistance force be proportional to v, which would be the case with me skiing, or v^2 due to turbulence when the skier's Reynolds number is high?

Cuchulainn

March 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaShouldn't it be a jump process? It wouldn't be Poisson because that's for water skiing. I'm thinking it's probably Cauchy because people tend to land on their fat tails.I think it is WeiBULL because it is too hazardous (and don't try it on Whistler).

Cuchulainn

March 4th, 2008, 7:40 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: AthleticoNonlinearities always make things untidy -- particularly a logo Plus, you have the question: Should the wind resistance force be proportional to v, which would be the case with me skiing, or v^2 due to turbulence when the skier's Reynolds number is high?I think v * abs(v) for the nonlinear term.What about a formula for friction between the skiis and the snow? This determines the speed as does the mass of the skier. I think the analogy is rigid pipe flow.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on March 3rd, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

March 5th, 2008, 10:08 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: AthleticoNonlinearities always make things untidy -- particularly a logo If you are even considering a formula as a logo then you have far more to worry about than tidiness!Yes, throw in friction. Or how about posing the problem (calculus of variations, I guess) for the fastest slope between two points (given wind resistance and friction)?P

Dina
Topic Author

March 5th, 2008, 10:29 am

Paul, the logo is XY axis and a random graph and there is a small skier sliding down. It first just came as a joke for the weather derivatives but then became a logo of a team. Then we thought why not add a formula to make it more representative.the ideas were: weather derivatives pay-off formula, but this looks a way too simple for me
Last edited by Dina on March 4th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MCarreira

March 5th, 2008, 2:07 pm

If we're talking about the weather, why not the 3 differential equations that made Lorenz famous (butterfly effect)? I've already seen T-Shirts with Maxwell's equations.

Cuchulainn

March 6th, 2008, 10:13 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulQuoteOriginally posted by: AthleticoNonlinearities always make things untidy -- particularly a logo If you are even considering a formula as a logo then you have far more to worry about than tidiness!Yes, throw in friction. Or how about posing the problem (calculus of variations, I guess) for the fastest slope between two points (given wind resistance and friction)?PYes, posing the probelm is a good idea. The original post wanted any formula? For the old-timers, a formula telling the velocity at (x,y,t) on the slope would be more useful.

zarnywhoop

March 13th, 2008, 2:07 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaulAt least put in some wind resistance to make it nonlinear!PAnd some jump diffusion for the trees.

phuebu

April 18th, 2008, 9:21 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: MCarreiraIf we're talking about the weather, why not the 3 differential equations that made Lorenz famous (butterfly effect)? I've already seen T-Shirts with Maxwell's equations.My housemate has that Maxwell T-Shirt, not that he wears it much. Reminds me of this t-shirt.