SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Traden4Alpha

Fractals - Patterns and Chaos

May 8th, 2014, 8:55 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunSo you're saying that Samsung is more creative than apple? You're right about Vermeer being a scene copier! In those days painting was a skill and he and Rembrandt were masters of light, they knew all about colour bleeding and technical things render engines still struggle with. However I would call that craft & skill and not necessarily art. For me modern and native art are more artful because it involves creativity and abstraction. What's interesting about that movie is the implication that Vermeer may not have had to know anything about colour bleeding or light. All he had to do was match the colour of the paint to the colour that appeared in a relative simple bit of optical apparatus that showed the true colour of that part of the scene.

rmax

May 9th, 2014, 7:35 am

I think that Meergren is a very intresting case: he was obviously technically gifted and by the fact that he could create "new Vemeers" is no small skill. If he was painting at that time, then he would have been as great...perhaps.However Vemeer is more impressive (for me at least) as to when he was painting it. There was a school of artists at that time that were experimenting with light and reproducing the detail in scenes - and no-one else was (but I am no expert).If Meergren was a truly great artist (in the fine-art sense of the word) he would have expanded on what had been done before and brought something new to the art world (I think this is Outrun's pop's opinion). If you look at the progression of artists you can see this happen: they begin by copying other styles and then slowly change to an ideal and try and reach perfection (Mondarain is a great example of this). However from a forger POV Meergren was a artistic forger. To create new painting, explore the details of how paints were made, develop an ageing process... for me that is impressive in itself. It might not be fine-art, but it is art in another sense of the word.Which brings me to what was going to be my first sentance: What is art?

Traden4Alpha

May 9th, 2014, 11:21 am

What is art? Good question.How about "an intentionally emotion-inducing novel artifact"?

Traden4Alpha

May 9th, 2014, 12:31 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunQuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaWhat is art? Good question.How about "an intentionally emotion-inducing novel artifact"?What?? That's a new way of looking at it! You did that on purpose didn't you?Indeed! QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunCan a wild cat or dog create art? I don't think so. The Bowerbird? perhaps...I agree!The Bowerbird is pretty artistic although the emotional message is not so novel: "Hey, Baby! Look at my pimped crib!"

ExSan
Topic Author

May 13th, 2014, 12:14 am

programming sucksQuotevery friend I have with a job that involves picking up something heavier than a laptop more than twice a week eventually finds a way to slip something like this into conversation: "Bro,1 you don't work hard. I just worked a 4700-hour week digging a tunnel under Mordor with a screwdriver."They have a point. Mordor sucks, and it's certainly more physically taxing to dig a tunnel than poke at a keyboard unless you're an ant. But, for the sake of the argument, can we agree that stress and insanity are bad things? Awesome. Welcome to programming.A lot of work is done on the internet and the internet is its own special hellscapeWe didn't start out crazy, we're being driven crazyAccording to the author, that program is "two lines of code that parse two lines of embedded comments in the code to read the Mayan numbers representing the individual ASCII characters that make up the magazine title, rendered in 90-degree rotated ASCII art."That program won a contest, because of course it did. Do you want to live in a world like this? No. This is a world of where you can smoke a pack a day and nobody even questions it. "Of course he smokes a pack a day, who wouldn't?" Eventually every programmer wakes up and before they're fully conscious they see their whole world and every relationship in it as chunks of code, and they trade stories about it as if sleepiness triggering acid trips is a normal thing that happens to people. This is a world where people eschew sex to write a programming language for orangutans. All programmers are forcing their brains to do things brains were never meant to do in a situation they can never make better, ten to fifteen hours a day, five to seven days a week, and every one of them is slowly going mad.
Last edited by ExSan on May 12th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tagoma

May 26th, 2014, 7:15 pm

Learning to Love Complex NumbersIt is worth to have a look at this (quite long) blog entry.

tagoma

May 26th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Alan

May 27th, 2014, 12:14 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunYes. My dad and his father has discussions about Han van Meegeren a very skilled art forger who at some point owner 50 houses along the center canals of Amsterdam. My granddad thought he was a super artist because he could make paintings is the style of any other famous artist and the experts couldn't tell a difference. My dad argued that he was a skilled technician in making paint, using correct strokes, aging the paint, using plausible scenes, but who didn't introduce any *new* art to the world. It's like drawing a new Donald Duck episode.Nowadays algorithms and 3d printers are very good at this. If I remove a section of a photo in photoshop, then photoshop will fill it in with realistic context sensitive textures.I like her deblurring indeed! That's a twist, it looks a bit like those HDRI photos, no?"60 minutes" had a very interesting story a couple months ago about the `most successful' modern forger:The Con Artist: A multimillion dollar art scam (13 mins) QuoteBob Simon: Did you ever think you would wind up in prison?Wolfgang Beltracchi: No.Bob Simon: At what point did you realize, uh-oh, I'm in trouble, this is over?Wolfgang Beltracchi: When I was in prison.Bob Simon: Not before then.Wolfgang Beltracchi: Not really, no.Bob Simon: Do you think you did anything wrong?Wolfgang Beltracchi: Yes, I use the wrong titanium white, yeah
Last edited by Alan on May 26th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ExSan
Topic Author

May 31st, 2014, 5:48 pm

psychology-of-color

ExSan
Topic Author

June 2nd, 2014, 11:06 am

NilsequencesClassical Fourier analysis has found many uses in additive number theory. However, while it is well-adapted to some problems, it is unable to handle others. For example, if one has a set A, and one wishes to know how many 3-term arithmetic progressions are contained in A, then Fourier analysis is useful, but if one wishes to count 4-term progressions then it is not. For this, and other, problems the more general notion of a nilsequence is required. NIlsequences are a kind of «higher order character» forming the basis of what is becoming known as «higher-order Fourier analysis».

ExSan
Topic Author

June 3rd, 2014, 10:54 am

NYT - What?s Lost as Handwriting FadesQuote researchers found that the initial duplication process mattered a great deal. When children had drawn a letter freehand, they exhibited increased activity in three areas of the brain that are activated in adults when they read and write: the left fusiform gyrus, the inferior frontal gyrus and the posterior parietal cortex.By contrast, children who typed or traced the letter or shape showed no such effect. The activation was significantly weaker.

ExSan
Topic Author

June 23rd, 2014, 11:40 am

Clifford Algebra

ExSan
Topic Author

July 1st, 2014, 10:34 am

Visualizing Algorithms
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On