SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

winthroptsmith
Topic Author

Spaghetti Puzzle #1

January 5th, 2016, 6:29 pm

Here is a problem that was posed on Twitter last month:This prompted a variety of answers from a group of math teachers.I discuss the problem on my blog and attempt to confirm what I think is the right answer.The problem won't be hard for Wilmott folks, but I will follow up with a slightly more challenging variation.
Last edited by winthroptsmith on January 21st, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

katastrofa

Spaghetti Puzzle #1

January 6th, 2016, 12:12 am

The more challenging version of this problem will probably be how many times it's been already posted in this forum.

Ultraviolet

Spaghetti Puzzle #1

January 6th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Spaghetti hacked

winthroptsmith
Topic Author

Spaghetti Puzzle #1

January 6th, 2016, 11:27 pm

It looks like I messed up the link above. Try this instead.As far as I can tell, this particular problem was posted in '04 and '07. A slightly different problem sparked a 2008 discussion in which wileysw linked to anarticle about several versions of the problem. The version posted above was subtle enough for Martin Gardner and a textbook to get it wrong.I like the question of how does spaghetti break in reality. My 11yo daughter raised that question, as I mention in the blog post. From outrun's link I learned that physicists have worked on it, earning them an Ig Nobel prize.Will have to see if Ultraviolet's hack works on rice pasta.

winthroptsmith
Topic Author

Spaghetti Puzzle #1

January 7th, 2016, 5:38 pm

Sadly, a missed opportunity. But I'm more likely to go for the "Out in Left" Fields Medal.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On