Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Is Hedgable a word?

November 15th, 2016, 7:09 pm

Now that we know how to spell it, how would one define 'hedgeable'?
hedgeable means it can be hedged
Of course, only the 5 people here will understand what it means. It 's like an inhabitant of Pitcairn coining a new word for 'mutiny'.

ppauper

November 16th, 2016, 1:03 pm

Now that we know how to spell it, how would one define 'hedgeable'?
Of course, only the 5 people here will understand what it means. It 's like an inhabitant of Pitcairn coining a new word for 'mutiny'.
if someone knows what "hedge" means in the finance sense, they can probably figure out "hedgeable"
suffix -able
-able
suffix
1. capable of, suitable for, or deserving of (being acted upon as indicated): enjoyable, pitiable, readable, separable, washable
2. inclined to; given to; able to; causing: comfortable, reasonable, variable

Cuchulainn

November 16th, 2016, 1:31 pm

if someone knows what "hedge" means in the finance sense, they can probably figure out "hedgeable"
suffix -able
-able
suffix
1. capable of, suitable for, or deserving of (being acted upon as indicated): enjoyable, pitiable, readable, separable, washable
2. inclined to; given to; able to; causing: comfortable, reasonable, variable
"Probably" is not unambiguous.

list1

November 16th, 2016, 5:41 pm

The runners-up for words of the year included the British term "Brexiteer" used for anti-EU advocates.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/post-truth-o ... 29132.html

drmwc1

November 16th, 2016, 6:42 pm

The insurance CFO Forum spelled it as hedgeable. (http://www.cfoforum.nl/downloads/MCEV_P ... r_2009.pdf)

So it has been used before. 

Cuchulainn

November 17th, 2016, 1:10 pm

The insurance CFO Forum spelled it as hedgeable. (http://www.cfoforum.nl/downloads/MCEV_P ... r_2009.pdf)

Indirectly, only. Page 24 defines various flavors of 'non-hedgeable' but seemingly no definition of 'hedgeable'. Is it the same as NOT (non hedgeable)?

Cuchulainn

November 17th, 2016, 1:17 pm

Indirectly, only. Page 24 defines various flavors of 'non-hedgeable' but seemingly no definition of 'hedgeable'. Is it the same as NOT (non hedgeable)?

A legal eagle would probably apply de Morgans' Las to those definitions.

BTW what is rationale of that document? Is it a legal doc? Everyone has his own interpretation?

Paul

November 17th, 2016, 1:44 pm

I don't know who is messing with whom here, but, yes, it's a word, and it's spelled hedgeable. It's meaning is no less clear than the meaning of 'blue.'

Now all go and do something useful with your time!

P

Cuchulainn

November 17th, 2016, 2:22 pm

I don't know who is messing with whom here, but, yes, it's a word, and it's spelled hedgeable. It's meaning is no less clear than the meaning of 'blue.'

Now all go and do something useful with your time!

P
It is obvious what it means? famous last words. This is the reason that 99% of s/w projects fail and lawyers are the busiest people on the planet.
But the follow-on discussion is more far-reaching, i.e.. using terms without defining them.
Just look at the debacle surrounding 'negative probabilities'. How many manhours went into building and supporting this house of cards?
So, on the surface it seems trivial, I agree. But as I said, lawyers and courts do nothing else.

And those with a training in mathematics were drilled to define all term up-front.

jwbosu
Topic Author

November 17th, 2016, 2:32 pm

All,

This post was originally written because, what I thought was, a commonly used finance term, was not defined in two of our often used dictionaries: Websters and Oxford.  Also, there are two ways this term is spelled in practice.  I thought I would ask the experts their opinion, I did, and it has been provided.

Though, this discussion has somewhat devolved down a rabbit hole.  I had no real agenda but to hear opinions.  I was not prepared for the confrontation that has occurred.  We all have other things to do, but sometimes it is fun to ponder something that is not as important was what we do in our normal jobs.  Just for fun.

Have a great day everyone.

joe