Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Jerome2018
Topic Author

Cost of Carry options on futures CME on Margin account

September 13th, 2018, 3:31 pm

Can someone please help me with the following? 
I am trading on the CME and did some DEC 2019 ITM call and put options (American style). According to the CME, the value of these options is subject to a cost of carry:

Cost of carry = Intrinsic Value x (1 - e^ - (Interest Rate x Days to Expiration/365)) 

Based on a futures price of 1617, the 1400 C is 233 and the 1400 P is 20. According to the PC parity: F-C+P-K should equal 0. However this is not the case (+4), since they apply a cost of carry component.
However, the 1100C is 517 and the 1100P = 0.5 so the PC parity works there as it should since it is an American style option.

According to Asay(1982) as described in Haug, there should NOT be any interest rate component on Margined Options on Futures.
In my opinion the CME is wrong, but need some good arguments to show them their error.

Can someone please help?

riskneutralprob

Re: Cost of Carry options on futures CME on Margin account

September 17th, 2018, 9:48 pm

What is the bid/ask of the call?  What is the bid/ask of the put?  What is the bid/ask of the future?

ppauper

September 18th, 2018, 12:14 am

I thought put-call parity was for European options

Jerome2018
Topic Author

January 4th, 2019, 3:06 pm

What is the bid/ask of the call?  What is the bid/ask of the put?  What is the bid/ask of the future?
Bid ask is not really relevant here since I was referring to the revals the CME uses. Have had several conversations with the CME about this since and they mentioned that for in the money options between 50 and 99 delta, they add an arbitrary premium making PC parity invalid. However, when you look at 100 delta options, the PC parity is correct since they argue that you could always XXX the 100 delta option. Whether it is American or European Option should not matter for futures since everything is MTM, you get no interest on your margin. If you buy a deep ITM Call and sell a Future against it, your margin requirements are covered by the value of the option. Your margin should be close to zero and you will not generate any PNL.

Collector

January 8th, 2019, 9:22 pm

i dont think fully margined futures options of the Assay 1982 type trade at CME? I think this is when the option premium itself is fully margined and not paid before expiration?  The Assay 1982 paper to my memory was related to some options trading in Australia? More than 10 years since I read that paper,  so possibly I remember wrong about the assumptions about the Assay adjustment, uncertainty fades the past.

I have the paper likely stored in a box on my barn, and not sure the horse has eaten it or not... if u have the paper and send me i could take a look....

HarryHancock

January 11th, 2019, 9:47 am

We are United State based investment group expanding our portfolio globally through supporting individuals and private corporate projects in form of a debt financing short and long term loan investment. 

Our plan is to focus more on U.S. and European markets in areas of agriculture, mining, manufacturing, construction, aviation, Real estates, trading etc. We will be glad to partner with you in any viable project initiative within our scope of funding. 
Our clear and precise terms of ROI Return in Investment will be provided to you as soon as we receive your project investment presentation. 

Best Regards, 

Harry Hancock
Finance Warriors LLC
Loan/Investment Financing 
Mobile: +1801770 4435