Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

himani225
Topic Author

hedging with futures

September 7th, 2004, 3:25 pm

I have a convertible bond and I would like to hedge the interest rate using duration balancing using futures on Tsy bonds. The duration of the bond is .75 y. I could do that with a 2 y futures and 5 yr futures by finding the corresponding number of contracts. Does it matter if I use either of the instruments? What are the aspects I should consider while choosing the instruments?

exotiq

hedging with futures

September 7th, 2004, 3:58 pm

himani225-Didn't Francis ever teach you anything about the limits of duration hedging and what the differences are between different points on the yield curve? ;-PBigger question I have for you is why are you looking to hedge with treasury futures? Is it trading costs, counterparty credit risk concerns, mark-to-market benefits (and disadvantages)? If you are considering treasury futures, the currency of your convertible probably has a very liquid swap market, unless this is a way of quietly taking a prop position on the swap spread >

himani225
Topic Author

hedging with futures

September 7th, 2004, 8:26 pm

Francis taught me what he taught you - just that one brain is small and the other is big..What other instruments are you thinking of when you are surprised with T- futures? What do you think could be the disadvantages of T-futures?

daveangel

hedging with futures

September 8th, 2004, 7:32 am

You might find a bit of duration mis-match between your bond and the bond futures contract ...
Last edited by daveangel on September 7th, 2004, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Gmike2000

hedging with futures

September 8th, 2004, 8:32 am

what drives the price of the convertible bond? do you really think it is the tsy curve? do a regression on the bond's yield changes and 2yr or 5yr yield changes. without looking at the results, i bet it is a low r^2.the other thing: if you hedge with a combination of 2s and 5s you may hedge the (current) duration, but you are loading up with curve exposure (bullet vs barbell).

exotiq

hedging with futures

September 8th, 2004, 10:54 am

From a purely interest rate hedging standpoint, your pure hedge would be to swap the coupons of the CB into floating with a plain IR swap.With either hedging tool, the CB will leave you holding the bag in the event of a default, call, or conversion, especially since the last two care more about market value than par value, but then again, that's why they pay you the big bucks...

derivababy

hedging with futures

September 26th, 2004, 2:04 pm

Hi Gimke2000,Pls., could u elaborate on Quotethe other thing: if you hedge with a combination of 2s and 5s you may hedge the (current) duration, but you are loading up with curve exposure (bullet vs barbell).