Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

KackToodles
Topic Author

what is your lifestyle if you have $30 million in the bank?

October 5th, 2006, 3:27 am

Last edited by KackToodles on October 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Traden4Alpha

October 5th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Some combination of:1) Fractional jet ownership so I can travel on my schedule, not the airlines' schedule2) Start a software company (advanced knowledge and data processing software)3) Write books (non-fiction and science fiction)4) Spend more time (and money) on doing photographyTechnically, I don't need $30 million for all these options, although I think options #1 and #2 could chew up a chunk of change. The larger constraint is time.

ppauper

October 5th, 2006, 12:46 pm

lounge by the pool drinking daquiris with eastern european supermodels all daytake more trips

Cuchulainn

October 5th, 2006, 12:50 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaTechnically, I don't need $30 million for all these options, although I think options #1 and #2 could chew up a chunk of change. The larger constraint is time.Especially #2 A wee helicoptor + launch pad on your doorstep is an alternative to #1. Then you can shuttle to the airport.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planetoid 65000 == 2002 AV_63

Traden4Alpha

October 5th, 2006, 2:11 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnA wee helicoptor + launch pad on your doorstep is an alternative to #1. Then you can shuttle to the airport.I'd love a wee helicopter, but city zoning laws/noise ordinances might take a dim view of it. On the other hand, the house across the street isn't in the city and I'd bet the county laws are more lax.Now I have to add more items to the list:5) wee helicopter6) neighbors house, demolition, and helicopter pad construction7) good legal team to defend against noise lawsuitsBoy, $30 million just doesn't go far these days.

KackToodles
Topic Author

October 5th, 2006, 2:59 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaNow I have to add more items to the list: supermodels, ...., start software firm, ... 5) wee helicopter 6) neighbors house, demolition, and helicopter pad construction You folks have serious misconceptions of how much $30 M can buy you! First, there must be over 10,000 people in the world with $30 M, and I don't see many of them flying around in copters full of supermodels! Second, you would need to spread your $30 M over your lifetime, save for retirment and medical expenses, and pay for your children's college tuitions. Thus, $30 M justifies only about $1 M expenditures per year. For $1 M, you can get yourself a part–time housekeeper in a nice middle class house. OK, you can buy you and your wife a nice mercedes and go to spain once a year. Pray your kids don't ask for tuition to get an MBA from Harvard. That's about it.
Last edited by KackToodles on October 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutley

October 5th, 2006, 3:16 pm

if my kids ask for a havard MBA i'll tell them to 'gitouttamahaas!' in my best phony Yank voice. then I'll go sit down at my pool with Olga.

KackToodles
Topic Author

October 5th, 2006, 3:29 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: mutleyif my kids ask for a havard MBA i'll tell them to 'gitouttamahaas!' in my best phony Yank voice. then I'll go sit down at my pool with Olga.And wait for your under-educated kids to steal all your money because, without a fancy MBA, they can't earn a living to have the lifestyle you addicted them to?

CactusMan

October 5th, 2006, 4:14 pm

KackToodles is quite reasonable and sound on this one. This is a very good point. Seriously. The lifestyles described would require much more than $30,000,000.I know someone who hit it and made about $20,000,000 (won't go into the details). When it happened, he said "I'll never have to worry about money again."However, about 20 years has passed now and the following happened in those years:--Bad investments in stocks--Learned that houses aren't the investment he thought they would be--Piece of crap high-end cars (won't mention the brands) with built-in defects to cause high repair/maintenance--A son who grew up a loser (the son's lifestyle has to be paid for but he himself doesn't do anything to replace the money)--Keeping grandson out of jail and trouble with the cops--A grand child born with health problems that keep it sick pretty much all the time. ($$$$$$$$$$$$$) There is something to be said for genetic screening before having a child, as much as I hate to say that.--His own health problems (he's up to $3000/month in medicine now)--General waste by the kids (trips to Europe, new cars that have to have all the features on and on).He's down to about $2,000,000 now, which will mostly go to the loser son and the sick child, and then it will pretty much be gone.Remember, among the wealthy today, a "millionaire" is a person who has $1,000,000 of spendable income every year.With $30,000,000, if a person carefully worked with a good financial planner and attorney to avoid being poped with some crazy suit, then you and YOU alone could live a pretty good life.But, that means not marrying, not having kids, and being very careful. Otherwise, you could kiss it good-bye in 5 or 10 year or so.
Last edited by CactusMan on October 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CactusMan

October 5th, 2006, 4:17 pm

By the way, if you need $30,000,000 to date an attractive eastern european girl, then you've got problems, dude, and we need to talk!
Last edited by CactusMan on October 4th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KackToodles
Topic Author

October 5th, 2006, 5:25 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManBy the way, if you need $30,000,000 to date an attractive eastern european girl, then you've got problems, dude, and we need to talk!How much do you pay?p.s. I look at it like this: $30 M is a lot of money only if you don't spend it and you reinvest enough interest to maintain its original value after taxes and inflation.

CactusMan

October 5th, 2006, 5:47 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodlesp.s. I look at it like this: $30 M is a lot of money only if you don't spend it and you reinvest enough interest to maintain its original value after taxes and inflation.Yes, but then a wife, kids, lawsuits, sick children, expensive cars, expensive schools, more kids, health problems, and so on, come along, and you can kiss the fortune good-bye!One needs an agressive program, like I'm going to talk about in my upcoming book, "Aggressive Wealth Maintenance and Growth".

crowlogic

October 5th, 2006, 6:50 pm

I'm not a fan of big houses so I dont need that headache also not a fan of the domesticated family-life.. too boring and easy to do.I imagine that if I can stay in good health for the next 60 to 70 years then medicine and technology will advance to the point that those with the means will be able to afford life-sustaining stuff like magic nanobots floating around constantly repairing molecular dna corruption, etc. I think if rednecks like bush and the general ignorance of mankind dont do us in then these technologies will come to pass.So, a lot of my money would be dedicated to health and longevity.. I also have a penchant for strippers, so I'd probably have them scattered throughout the world so I always have a nice play to stay with some fun company. Not that you need money to pick up strippers.. somehow I've managed to charm a few.. but the money does gaurantee a lot of good times if you know how to deal with the whole scene. You know, money allows you to do things like go out on week nights, fly around, and generally not be tied down by the corporate grind.To finance all this, 30 mill is not enough, so I'd start an R&D lab and hire lots of out of the box thinkers, scientists, engineers, programmers, mathemiticians.. master the markets with the talent and also use income to fund non-financial things that could benefit myself and mankind.. AI. Just think if a machine could reason logically like a human but without human failings.. a sort of "social programming" you might say... can A machine read and fairly apply law? could it? Can you prove it? I think it is possible, but I'd need the help of many great minds to do it.

KackToodles
Topic Author

October 5th, 2006, 7:03 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CactusManImy upcoming book, "Aggressive Wealth Maintenance and Growth"."Agressive Wealth Maintenance and Growth: What to do when the money runs out".

KackToodles
Topic Author

October 5th, 2006, 7:05 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: crowlogicI also have a penchant for strippers, so I'd probably have them scattered throughout the world so I always have a nice play to stay with some fun company.With all these viral and bacteria colonies scattered all over the world, you'll be lucky to last 5 years.