SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

DJAverage
Topic Author

Einstein vs von Neumann vs Wiener

October 15th, 2006, 8:24 am

Imagine Al, John and Norb are each given $ 1 bn hedge fund to run.You may thus choose from "Relativity Fund", "Self-adjoint Extended Arbitrage"and "Harmonic Capital Management" to invest in. Which one, if any?

Cuchulainn

October 15th, 2006, 9:17 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DJAverageImagine Al, John and Norb are each given $ 1 bn hedge fund to run.You may thus choose from "Relativity Fund", "Self-adjoint Extended Arbitrage"and "Harmonic Capital Management" to invest in. Which one, if any?von Neumann, no problem because hes's got the computer and the schemes/codes.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 14th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chips chips chips Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

DJAverage
Topic Author

October 15th, 2006, 11:55 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: DJAverageImagine Al, John and Norb are each given $ 1 bn hedge fund to run.You may thus choose from "Relativity Fund", "Self-adjoint Extended Arbitrage"and "Harmonic Capital Management" to invest in. Which one, if any?von Neumann, no problem because hes's got the computer and the schemes/codes.Right, but what about the risk of many potentially harmful lawsuits due to his involvement in the Manhattan Project?

Cuchulainn

October 15th, 2006, 12:55 pm

QuoteRight, but what about the risk of many potentially harmful lawsuits DJ,Thank you for your confidence in my ability to answer your questions but I must disappoint you. My expertise does not extend to legal issues. Still, I think (now I duck head) that JvN's contribution to Computational Science was enormous. Not only on paper, but also in the computer. I bet he could have solved any problem. On an off issue, look at how many mathematicians from Hungary:maths
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 14th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chips chips chips Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du Ci bum ci bum bum Du du du du du
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

DJAverage
Topic Author

October 15th, 2006, 1:15 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteRight, but what about the risk of many potentially harmful lawsuits DJ,Thank you for your confidence in my ability to answer your questions DJ,I ordered your book last week. I guess this shows some confidence in your level of expertise

DJAverage
Topic Author

October 15th, 2006, 1:30 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnOn an off issue, look at how many mathematicians from Hungary:mathsWhat about the founder of non-Euclidean geometry?

INFIDEL

October 15th, 2006, 3:50 pm

QuoteDJAverageImagine Al, John and Norb are each given $ 1 bn hedge fund to run.You may thus choose from "Relativity Fund", "Self-adjoint Extended Arbitrage"and "Harmonic Capital Management" to invest in. Which one, if any?Albert was a deep, slow thinker. Wiener was a one-trick pony (?). Von Neumann could listen to your description of a physical process, model it in his head as a non-linear PDE and then solve it in his head and tell you what to expect from your future experiment, all in the taxi on the way to the airport. I dunno -- which one's more suited for QF?

KackToodles

October 16th, 2006, 3:18 am

QuoteDJAverageImagine Al, John and Norb are each given $ 1 bn hedge fund to run.You may thus choose from "Relativity Fund", "Self-adjoint Extended Arbitrage"and "Harmonic Capital Management" to invest in. Which one, if any?My monkey has 50% chance to whup any one of these three monkeys.
Last edited by KackToodles on October 15th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crowlogic

October 16th, 2006, 3:36 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodlesQuoteDJAverageImagine Al, John and Norb are each given $ 1 bn hedge fund to run.You may thus choose from "Relativity Fund", "Self-adjoint Extended Arbitrage"and "Harmonic Capital Management" to invest in. Which one, if any?My monkey has 50% chance to whup any one of these three monkeys. Dude, that is true if the markets truly are in equilibrium. During phase transitions the degrees of freedom are reduced and there is asymmetry, as well as the fact that doesnt take into account general persistent features in different modes.

mj

October 16th, 2006, 5:56 am

johnny was rich -- clearly, the one to choose

Zub

October 16th, 2006, 8:36 am

For what concerns mathematicians (or scientists in general) coming from Hungary, check out the chapter "The men coming from Mars" in the book by R. Rhodes - The making of the atomic bomb. It's a marvellous insight on the reasons for the production of such a huge amount of excellence within a relatively short period of time.Btw, I would also choose Johnny. He was reputed the smartest guy in Princetown by Einstein himself, as reported in Pais' biography.
Last edited by Zub on October 15th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DJAverage
Topic Author

October 16th, 2006, 9:33 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodles My monkey has 50% chance to whup any one of these three monkeys. Jee, I have expected some more respect for the monkey Albert from you, professor.

DJAverage
Topic Author

October 16th, 2006, 9:53 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ZubBtw, I would also choose Johnny. He was reputed the smartest guy in Princetown by Einstein himself, as reported in Pais' biography.Since almost everybody is betting on John, contrarian thinking suggests he would probably underperform the other two.

INFIDEL

October 16th, 2006, 12:43 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DJAverageQuoteOriginally posted by: KackToodles My monkey has 50% chance to whup any one of these three monkeys. Jee, I have expected some more respect for the monkey Albert from you, professor. Psycho-Cacker was referring to the monkey on his own back.
Last edited by INFIDEL on October 15th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KackToodles

October 16th, 2006, 4:57 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DJAverageJee, I have expected some more respect for the monkey Albert. Albert is a monkey like you and me. The only difference is that Albert grooms himself to look more like a monkey than the rest of us. Mr. Market is smarter than any monkey.
Last edited by KackToodles on October 15th, 2006, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On