Is that true ? Are you french quants ?

terrorbyte

1/3 quants are french ?

May 15th, 2007, 8:08 pm

Nope. Aussie!

DominicConnor

1/3 quants are french ?

May 15th, 2007, 8:30 pm

Nope.We have the CVs of enough quants to know for a fact that it's far less than 1/3.The French have a decent share of the market, and French schools produce a lot of good Masters level people, but I'd put it under 10%But one does find local concentrations of 1/3 or even higher.

Dartmoor

1/3 quants are french ?

May 15th, 2007, 9:25 pm

Where in France, UK, US?

ppauper

1/3 quants are french ?

May 16th, 2007, 12:36 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DartmoorWhere in France, UK, US?presumably the claim would be world-wideWould DCFC's statement apply to the UK only ? he's probably looking at a biased sample (biased geographically)

Tadragh1

1/3 quants are french ?

May 16th, 2007, 1:03 pm

Well, I guess there is a lot of French quants in French IBs

pb273

1/3 quants are french ?

May 16th, 2007, 2:36 pm

I have been interviewing many candidates for quite a few quant roles (for New York) for the last 6 months, and given what I get, I can tell you that out of every 20 guys, 12 are Chinese, 4 are Indians, 2 are Russians/East Europeans and only 1 is French and the remaining 1 is rest of world incl Brits & Americans.

Gmike2000

1/3 quants are french ?

May 16th, 2007, 8:43 pm

On a related note, my impression (mostly from reading headhunter newsletters of who moved where) is that Germans are overrepresented in sales, operations, and client servicing positions and underrepresented in trading (in europe) and quant stuff. How come ? What happened to the famed "German engineering" and science? You would think they make good employees in quant and trading positions...germans are supposed to be humorless, dry, matter of factual, and unskilled at small talk. What are they doing in sales, etc???

Dartmoor

1/3 quants are french ?

May 17th, 2007, 12:58 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: pb273I have been interviewing many candidates for quite a few quant roles (for New York) for the last 6 months, and given what I get, I can tell you that out of every 20 guys, 12 are Chinese, 4 are Indians, 2 are Russians/East Europeans and only 1 is French and the remaining 1 is rest of world incl Brits & Americans.And now tells us the politically uncorrect bit -- which one is most likely to get the job?

quantwanabe

1/3 quants are french ?

May 17th, 2007, 1:46 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: pb273I have been interviewing many candidates for quite a few quant roles (for New York) for the last 6 months, and given what I get, I can tell you that out of every 20 guys, 12 are Chinese, 4 are Indians, 2 are Russians/East Europeans and only 1 is French and the remaining 1 is rest of world incl Brits & Americans.12 Chinese!!!! Based on that sample, does it mean that they are more chinese quant than any other nationality? Nothing against chinese, ther are hard-worker and probably deserve it, but I though the language barrier- might be a handicap for them -they can write very well in English, but often have problem expressing themselves. It is not really their fault; their native language, not based on latin, is so different from English hence the difficulty. Working as a quant often require ongoing communication with traders and the management.

jfuqua

1/3 quants are french ?

May 17th, 2007, 2:22 pm

From what I've seen in U.S. companies these proportions don't seem right. I could see the 12 Chinese if you include 'programmers of quantitative applications' [e.g. math/physics PhDs] as quants, but not in the usual [or what people want to be] definition of 'quant.' The Russian [or Eastern European] percentages seem much to low for either them being 'quants' or 'programmers of quantitative applications.' I've been surprised by the low number of Polish in either programming, 'quants' or 'programmers of quantitative applications. Several years ago a Polish math prof. [in the U.S.] forwarded a paper from a prof. UNSW with a note in Polish. Despite our programming and quant group probably having 50 people from Eastern Europe and Russia [by far the largest group] I could not find one programmer or quant who was or read Polish. The same could probably be said for other Eastern European countries but Poland seemed to have got ahead of the curve on reform before most of the others and---I could be wrong---have a larger population. In the late 80s and early 90s there were a number of Japanese banks and quants associated with those banks in the U.S.. They seemed to have disappears after that at least as far as I've seen in banks or as quants. I've asked finance, math and engineering profs. and they say they can't recall many Japanese students in their classes despite having a large number of Chinese students. I assume the economic changes in Japan and the early 90s reluctance of the FRB and other regulators, contributed to a move back to Japan. Corrrect ?
Last edited by jfuqua on May 16th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicConnor

1/3 quants are french ?

May 17th, 2007, 5:45 pm

an interesting topic is the difference between the demographics of existing quants vs newbies.The number of female quants is so low that it can't be accurately measured. From our database i forecast dramatic growth as in more than douiblng each year. Less dramatic is Chinese, but it's not trivial, ditto Indians. But indians enjoy the advantage of reliable brand value in their university qualificationsgermans are indeed relatively rare, and that is not "in spite" of german strengths in science and engineering but @because@ since they have good options without the risk and StressOf career change.I have no explanation for the very small nmber of japanese

CrazyCDO

1/3 quants are french ?

May 17th, 2007, 5:51 pm

from what I currently see in my grad school (directly relevant to quant stuff) most of the wannabe hardcore-quant guys are chinese...These people are really hard working...they must be studying 14-16 hours a day and do nothing else; I wish I were so concentrated as they are. I feel intimidated if I have to compete with them for hardcore quant positions because no other non-chinese grad student (including myself) feels like studying so hard...But they definitely lack communication skills for some positions that require immediate interaction with traders or clients. Maybe they even lack the skill that trading itself requires; this is because I think are not "cocky" enough and I doubt whether they have the capability (is it called emotional intelligence???) to understand the behavior of other market participants, which is essential in identifying the market direction.

unkpath

1/3 quants are french ?

May 18th, 2007, 12:19 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: rimaephosieIs that true ? Are you french quants ? it's very funny you mention that, because I have heard a lot more exaggerated statements than this one. for example one industry participant mentioned to me that as much as 70% percent of quants are being supplied by el karoui's dea and someone else, also a market participant, stated that quants are essentiallysupplied from french ecoles. much as I am french myself and from an ecole, I must say that this small talk always makes me feel embarrassed about my nation. it is certainly the case that a couple of newspaper articles published in WSJ and elsewhere lastyear have worsened the situation, but even without it, there is this pathetic inferiority complex lurking in mostfrench souls that brings the wrong feelings of superiority to light again and again.... so sad.

quantwanabe

1/3 quants are french ?

May 18th, 2007, 4:17 am

what is the buzz about nicole el karoui dea??? I read about it from time to time on wilmott....When I read some of NYU student's resume almost all the french students mentioned el karoui in some ways. I understand El Karoui is a world class researcher in mathematical finance, but it does not mean that her students are as great as her. If you have a nobel prize winner as a teacher, will you win the nobel prize as well??? Maybe they are many french quants in USA but they are most probably at BNP, credit agricole, or societe generale.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On