SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

PlasticSaber
Topic Author

Bloomberg and Quant

June 22nd, 2007, 9:37 pm

I am a bit curious to know whether quants/ quant developers in general have direct access to Bloomberg. I've been told the license per seat is fairly expensive. Similar to other quants in my team, I did not have one at start. Since I run a lot of ad hoc analysis for the traders, they find that very crazy not to provide me one and thus help me to fight against the politics... How about people working for major IB's and HF's?

Gmike2000

Bloomberg and Quant

June 23rd, 2007, 12:09 pm

This is generally true. Even key quants often dont have a bloomberg, unless the traders push for him to get one. Personally, I find it difficult to assist a quant in the development of a new model/method when he cannot access the necessary market data on bloomberg. A lot of quants, however, seem to have reuters...i dont know if it costs less, but maybe this is sth for bloomberg to think about. In the old days, quant groups would have shared access to bloomberg in their department thru a separate Bloomberg terminal. Generally though, having seen the internal income statement of many companies by now (good to have friends who are accountants), I must say that even the hefty 15k p.a. bloomberg license is a peanuts expense given what a bank makes in pure profits per employee. So, if quants do not have bbg, it is probably due to internal politics (maybe the operations people take out their jealousy/inferiority issues on the quant dept by capping their expenses).

Yura

Bloomberg and Quant

June 23rd, 2007, 8:34 pm

I don't have a Bloomberg terminal, but I can use my boss' terminal if I need to. Also, we're working on setting up a walk up terminal for general use. I personally don't think that I need a separate Bloomberg terminal. Also, if you only need historical data, I think you can get it from other sources, you don't have to have Bloomberg. For example, Lehman Live. I've been given a password to access that and the whole bunch of other stuff I didn't look into yet. Just my 2 cents.

player

Bloomberg and Quant

June 26th, 2007, 3:46 pm

Dont have bloomberg either

eye51

Bloomberg and Quant

June 27th, 2007, 7:10 am

I share a terminal with two other quants.Since I started I have had one.

d32

Bloomberg and Quant

July 23rd, 2007, 8:12 am

We have the market data only version of bloomberg (apparently a lot different than the normal one). At the moment if we want to use the analytics and market data version we have to drive for an hour and a half to get access. Not too pleasant.

DominicConnor

Bloomberg and Quant

July 25th, 2007, 5:55 am

d32 iks that academic or business use ?

TraderJoe

Bloomberg and Quant

September 21st, 2007, 11:21 pm

I was on a bbg terminal all day today. Pretty cool. Now, where is that f**kwad who called me a wannabe?

weirluo

Bloomberg and Quant

September 26th, 2007, 10:00 pm

I on a Bloomberg terminal 12 hours a day everyday. It's surely very useful from many perspectives

CommOddity

Bloomberg and Quant

September 27th, 2007, 6:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: Gmike2000 I find it difficult to assist a quant in the development of a new model/method when he cannot access the necessary market data on bloomberg. A lot of quants, however, seem to have reuters...i dont know if it costs less, but maybe this is sth for bloomberg to think about. q]That is probably because Reuters can become fairly cheaper then Bloomberg (it can be accessed via server side application). Actually i think that a bloomberg license in average costs around 30k € pa: beside the license itself you must consider all data provider and markets add-in.i work with both Reuters and Bloomberg and i believe the second is definetely better when you have to do some quantitaitve work with data...

cemil

Bloomberg and Quant

September 27th, 2007, 6:52 am

I have a Reuters and Bloomberg. It depends on what you do. For the data bloomberg is perfect for me but for the real-time market quote I prefer Reuters which is friendly use.The Bloomberg licence is 1.5 time expensive for a Reuters terminal.And for a quant Reuters is better than Bloomberg (lots of updating problem with it).
Last edited by cemil on September 26th, 2007, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bloomberg and Quant

September 28th, 2007, 12:23 am

I agree with cemil. I also have both reuters and bbg. bbg is generally good for work and following the general market. Reuters is far better if you looking something that more specific topic and research.

Yura

Bloomberg and Quant

September 28th, 2007, 7:00 pm

damn...it's blinking and blinking and blinking... and I don't know how to look up what I want... and I'm trying and trying and trying and trying... but it's only blinking and blinking and blinking... I feel I'm going to throw up!

Bloomberg and Quant

September 29th, 2007, 12:15 am

that only the surface... look deeper... may be you find it or not.

Yura

Bloomberg and Quant

September 30th, 2007, 2:12 pm

Do you dare to doubt that I'll find what I want?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On