SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

gwkenny
Topic Author

Any Mac Users?

February 11th, 2008, 4:56 am

Got an ex-coworker friend who is looking into a mac cause he does photo and video stuff.Thinking to kill two birds in one stone, he's thinking of getting a really amped up machine and he can do his Excel crunching as well.He works exclusively in Excel 2003 with VB and VBA. Any problems with running Windows OS on the mac? How is it in comparison with a "true" intel/amd machine of like specs?Thanks in advance!g-gwkenny

Y0da

Any Mac Users?

February 11th, 2008, 5:29 am

Windows running with Bootcamp on an Intel Mac is just perfect.Bootcamp means you reboot your machine into Windows, andtherefore temporarily stop using Mac OS X. This approach is justlike using any other PC out there. Reports have even shownthat Macs are really good PCs, in many cases even better than"regular" PCs . But one reason for why I love my iMac is howsilent it is!Other ways of using virtual computer software like Parallelswork great also. Then you can have Windows running withinof the Mac OS X. It's great. However, this will, of course, not beas fast as using Bootcamp.I have found using Parallels fast enough for my purposes.Are you familiar with Mac OS X Leopard's (the latest Mac OS X)new Spaces feature? You can use Parallels like that; i.e. tohave Windows simply running in one of the spaces. Worksreally smooth and nice. I even remote to the work computerfrom this space. This way, I can always have work close athand by just switching to my "work space"!

mrowell

Any Mac Users?

February 11th, 2008, 5:50 am

I have a Power Mac --Parallels running XP is always on. I run Excel/Word and BBG Anywhere -- I tried theCitrix Java client on the Mac and it was buggy.I bought it because (a) I wanted a Mac (!) and (b) it was very competitively priced compared to a similarly speccedmachine from Dell...and after years of Windows experience, most of the time (bluetooth, grabbing video from a camcordervia firewire etc) just seems to work without any fiddling on my part.Oh and I wholeheartidly (sp) agree with Y0da regarding the lack of noise -- the thing is beautifully engineered.Mark
Last edited by mrowell on February 10th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gwkenny
Topic Author

Any Mac Users?

February 11th, 2008, 4:49 pm

Wow!Quick responses, thanks a lot!Do you program with VBA/VB with regards to Excel?This is the main sticking point. I believe there are also a few API calls, but they wouldn't be as key as full compatibility with standard VBA/VB with Excel.Thanks in advance!g-gwkenny

DominicConnor

Any Mac Users?

February 11th, 2008, 5:00 pm

I am aware of no problems running a Mac as a Windows box for Excel. Some deep Windows APIs will behave differently, but I'd be really very surprised if Excel VBA development ever encountered them.However be aware that there is now no decent spreadsheet when running under Apple's O/SMS has taken VBA out of Excel, and Apple's own spreadsheet Numbers is patronising underpowered shit.

Y0da

Any Mac Users?

February 11th, 2008, 6:44 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCI am aware of no problems running a Mac as a Windows box for Excel. Some deep Windows APIs will behave differently, but I'd be really very surprised if Excel VBA development ever encountered them.However be aware that there is now no decent spreadsheet when running under Apple's O/SMS has taken VBA out of Excel, and Apple's own spreadsheet Numbers is patronising underpowered shit.Yes true. They removed VBA from Office 2008 for Mac. Howeverthey put AppleScript in instead, which is supposed to be a painto use. I have, however, heard that the only reason VBA is insideOffice 2007 for Windows is that the decision to remove VBA wastaken after Office 2007 was too close to a finished product.Microsoft plans to remove VBA in later versions in Windows aswell (I hear) and put C# instead. Or maybe they will just makeC# the main thing and still provide VBA support for backwardcompatibility. Who knows? I find it pity that they didn't includeVBA in Office 2008 for Mac. No backward compatibility; nothing.This is not a way in which a zillion dollar company should act.But yeah, so basically there is no good spreadsheet out therefor Mac OS (unless you're a killer AppleScripter). That's why onejust has to get Windows running. There is no avoiding it.

DominicConnor

Any Mac Users?

February 12th, 2008, 9:14 am

I have, however, heard that the only reason VBA is inside Office 2007 for Windows is that the decision to remove VBA was taken after Office 2007 was too close to a finished product.I don't know the exact story inside MS but I was in it's technical beta programme and it was in the product a long time before it shipped.Was not a "last minute" thing.Microsoft plans to remove VBA in later versions in Windows aswell (I hear) and put C# instead.I have personally received the written promise of the product manager that VBA will be in the next version of Excel which will come out 2009/2010 (or 2012, this is Microsoft)The official line is hereAlthough it was a private set of communications, I can share that I and others severely handbagged Microsoft on VBA. Fact is that the biggest competitor for Excel is older version of Excel, not Apple Number, Lotus 123 or OpenOffice.A version of Excel that did not support VBA would not be bought by any large firms, and thus MS would lose huge upgrade revenue.Or maybe they will just make C# the main thing They've tried, and although C# is the 3rd best way to drive Excel, that is far far behind. As far as I can tell the goal was to be easier than Java, and when they reached this point, they stopped.I find it pity that they didn't include VBA in Office 2008 for Mac. No backward compatibility; nothing.It's not a huge market...This is not a way in which a zillion dollar company should act.Perhaps. A cynic like me might observe that this means there is zero chance of any large corporate switching to any Apple O/S for the next decade.

Cuchulainn

Any Mac Users?

February 12th, 2008, 9:23 am

How does/will one use VBA in a multi-core machine? You can freeze software, but hardware is a bit more difficult. Still, C# cannot be ruled out.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 11th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DominicConnor

Any Mac Users?

February 12th, 2008, 10:59 am

Excel 12 supports two sorts of code.The default is single threaded, which prevents more than one instance executing at a time. This applies to VBA, and any pre-12 XLL thathas not registered with the multi threaded tag.However sheets can execute across multiple threads, and if a function is marked as threadable, multiple cells referencing the same function will execute in parallel.Modern XLLs will probably be a mix of single and multi-threaded functions, just like any other program.One would expect any start up and close down code to be single threaded, and calcs to tend toward MT.

bogracer

Any Mac Users?

February 14th, 2008, 8:01 am

If Bloomberg worked on OSX I'd throw out all my PCs tomorrow.

DominicConnor

Any Mac Users?

February 14th, 2008, 9:27 am

If you knew what BB worked on, you'd through BB out tomorrow Actually, given the BB product is basically just a terminal emulator, it really would not be that hard to get it working on Unix, indeed that's a heavy % of BB internal technology.

Alii

Any Mac Users?

February 14th, 2008, 2:12 pm

Excel 2004 for Mac has always worked well for me...It runs VBA fine, and I've written numerical models in it that work perfectly in both Windows and OSX without change.Probably easier not to fanny about with Parallels unless you are sure you have to.

gwkenny
Topic Author

Any Mac Users?

February 15th, 2008, 7:31 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: DCFCIf you knew what BB worked on, you'd through BB out tomorrow Actually, given the BB product is basically just a terminal emulator, it really would not be that hard to get it working on Unix, indeed that's a heavy % of BB internal technology.Bloomberg was in Cobol up until the early/mid? 90's. They had a hell of a time getting/retaining quality programmers. There was a big push to port it over to C if I remember correctly, don't know how that ever turned out. I was on the edge peripherally as I was caught in between Bloomberg and the Investment Banking department I was in but thankfully I wiggled my way out. I totally forgot about it until this thread brought back memories.I want to say thank you to the folks who replied. Your messages were very informative and very much appreciated! Kudos to the Wilmott community and you folks in particular!g-gwkenny

bostonquant

Any Mac Users?

February 17th, 2008, 4:02 am

I saw the Macbook Air today. I just don't understand Macs. I own two Lenovo X61 ultraportable laptops Each weighs <3.1 lbs. 2.2 gHz Core Duo. 7200 rpm harddrive. 2 GB RAM. One I run linux the other Windows XP. The laptop running linux performance wise would destroy the Mac. Macs are completely over priced.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On