SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

daveangel
Topic Author

I have come to bury TJ and not to praise him.

September 16th, 2008, 11:15 am

Fellow forumersI am of the view that Trader Joe is a distraction on these forums and would like to petition the owners of the Website to ban this user in all his/her guises. The reasons for this are multitude but boil down to one thing and that is a very low signal to noise ratio. I am not aware of a single thread where TJ has made a positive contibution. Also, his claimed speciality of Banach spaces is not particularly useful. Please join me in asking Paul to delist Trader Joe.thanks
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

MCarreira

September 16th, 2008, 11:35 am

I think that TJ and quantyst are the same person ...Seriously, as long as TJ refrains from ad hominen attacks, it's hard to say to ban an user for expressing different opinions. I'm not nice, coherent or informative all the time also. Sometimes TJ is even funny. We need someone to stir things up, to motivate us to answer - otherwise we'll just sit and wait for something to speak about.

Cuchulainn

September 16th, 2008, 12:23 pm

I found quantyst quite coherent (e.g. see brainteasers).

quantmeh

September 16th, 2008, 12:28 pm

i agree that Banach spaces r useless

hungryquant

September 16th, 2008, 12:38 pm

I've been on other forums where you have the option to ignore specific users , that is their posts just won't turn up on your screen, is there something similar on here ?Not that I have anything against the guy myself

daveangel
Topic Author

September 16th, 2008, 12:41 pm

I don't want to (and certainly cannot) change these forums to a police state. However, TJ's posts are really bad.

KackToodles

September 16th, 2008, 12:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: jawabeani agree that Banach spaces r useless Ask not how you can use banach spaces. Ask how you can make banach spaces more useful.

KackToodles

September 16th, 2008, 12:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: hungryquantI've been on other forums where you have the option to ignore specific users Let he who has never been ignored be the first to ignore.

kev1

September 16th, 2008, 1:52 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: daveangelFellow forumersI am of the view that Trader Joe is a distraction on these forums and would like to petition the owners of the Website to ban this user in all his/her guises. The reasons for this are multitude but boil down to one thing and that is a very low signal to noise ratio. I am not aware of a single thread where TJ has made a positive contibution. Also, his claimed speciality of Banach spaces is not particularly useful. Please join me in asking Paul to delist Trader Joe.thanksI agree with you.TJ seems to "get off" on being spontaneously unpleasant to people .I have wondered if perhaps he's just an attention seeker (if so it seems to be working).I think quantyst is OK though.quantyst seems to be a different personality altogether.So I don't think quantyst could be TJ unless TJ has a split personality disorder as well.

daveangel
Topic Author

September 16th, 2008, 2:09 pm

I agree - I would be very surprised if it were shown that Quantyst and TJ are the same personna. I have no problems with Quantyst and quite enjoy his contribution to the brainteaser forum.

actuaryalfred

September 16th, 2008, 2:56 pm

Take it easy, this forum will be dead soon.

yuryr

September 16th, 2008, 2:56 pm

I think Trader Joe is quite nice (for a trader -

psholtz

September 16th, 2008, 4:17 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: actuaryalfredTake it easy, this forum will be dead soon.I don't know.. as one class of derivative instruments begins to fail, the powers-that-be will simply move onto another set of financial instruments, always bearing the same end in mind. I know that powerful forces are pushing to make trading in carbon credits and greenhouse gasses are "next big thing".. There's even a Cimate Trading Exchange that's been set up in Chicago to this end:http://www.chicagoclimatex.com/content.jsf?id=821It should come as no surprise that Al Gore is the largest shareholder in this new exchange.

rmax

September 16th, 2008, 4:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: yuryrI think Trader Joe is quite nice (for a trader -Would be very very very surprised if he was a trader...

Cuchulainn

September 16th, 2008, 5:25 pm

The less noise the better; it just gets people annoyed, especially when it is meant to attack them.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 15th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On