SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

daveangel
Topic Author

I have come to bury TJ and not to praise him.

September 16th, 2008, 6:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: rmaxQuoteOriginally posted by: yuryrI think Trader Joe is quite nice (for a trader -Would be very very very surprised if he was a trader...If TJ is a trader, then I am a lumberjack
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

trackstar

September 16th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Why not just caution people who may post a little too much.After sitting on the sidelines for a long time, I became a new member and post in a number of the forums.Have had some great laughs already and some good information exchange.Maybe some mild flaming too, but that's expected and already discounted.It's a bit chilling, in my opinion, to ban someone like TJ.There are more egregious uses of space here.

torontosimpleguy

September 16th, 2008, 8:52 pm

I like him. I fought with him before as well but he has changed a lot IMHO. I don't know about other forums here on Wilmot but on this one (General forum) he now writes sound observations and cites current financial news.

jomni

September 17th, 2008, 1:24 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: psholtzQuoteOriginally posted by: actuaryalfredTake it easy, this forum will be dead soon.I don't know.. as one class of derivative instruments begins to fail, the powers-that-be will simply move onto another set of financial instruments, always bearing the same end in mind. I know that powerful forces are pushing to make trading in carbon credits and greenhouse gasses are "next big thing".. There's even a Cimate Trading Exchange that's been set up in Chicago to this end:http://www.chicagoclimatex.com/content.jsf?id=821It should come as no surprise that Al Gore is the largest shareholder in this new exchange.Oh goody! another market that will blow investor's money.

daveangel
Topic Author

September 17th, 2008, 6:30 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: torontosimpleguyI like him. I fought with him before as well but he has changed a lot IMHO. I don't know about other forums here on Wilmot but on this one (General forum) he now writes sound observations and cites current financial news.the thing is TJ never actually expresses an opinion that is longer than a soundbite. 95% of his posts are either links to articles or the articles verbatim. it would be useful if he could either sumarise those articles or give us his views. this would require that he thinks more and post less.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

endian675

September 17th, 2008, 10:06 am

Agreed, his SNR is comically bad. I would rather see the option to ignore people though, as he could easily create a new account if the "TraderJoe" one were blocked. Mind you, I'd also like to see the forums run on a machine more powerful than a Commodore 64. Here's hoping.

hayes

September 17th, 2008, 4:34 pm

I'm new, so I can't comment on TJ directly. But this story is as old as the internet itself:Troll = Ban them (email/ IP address - Never fool proof, but surprisingly effective)Annoying = Ignore themTJ isn't really the problem, it's the lack of functionality that's the problem. It's strange that you aren't able to block people, I thought that was pretty much standard?
Last edited by hayes on September 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

September 17th, 2008, 6:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: outrunwhat happened to N btw? Is he still here?I don't think so. Wilmott had some colorful characters. When was the last time someone said 'Lie group'??
Last edited by Cuchulainn on September 16th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

torontosimpleguy

September 17th, 2008, 8:06 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnWhen was the last time someone said 'Lie group'??You know why? People here eventually understood proper limitations of modern quant finance paradigm (models work in normal market conditions only) and that adding more advanced math won't change that restrictive feature in anyway.

bostonquant

September 17th, 2008, 8:10 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnThe less noise the better; it just gets people annoyed, especially when it is meant to attack them.The comedy and irony of this post...

TraderJoe

September 17th, 2008, 9:03 pm

You can't please everyone.

unkpath

September 18th, 2008, 1:18 am

I must totally agree with daveangel and also overbid his request. I have actually expressed the same opinion about TJ to TJ in a few posts. I think it is absolutely scandalous the way TJ pollutes most threads in this forum with irrelevant posts. In fact, the situation has gotten so bad that knowing what is going on on the forum and how badly affected many of the threads are, actually prevents me from going there altogether, as I will consider it a waste of my time to sort through all the noise for relevant info.On a related note, given the amount of time TJ actually spends on the forum bullshitting, I doubt very much that he has any time left for making progress and learning anything about finance that is actually going to make him a more relevant contributor going forward. It's simply a hopeless situation. I think he is the worst of all I can think of, but not the only one. QuoteOriginally posted by: TraderJoeYou can't please everyone.

aiQUANT

September 18th, 2008, 9:58 am

It could be that TJ is a bot. Because no human being is capable of demonstrating such bad behaviour.

exneratunrisk

September 18th, 2008, 12:13 pm

I sit in my favourite bar and somebody is talking loud and repeatedly things, which offend my neural network, logic and cultural-foundation layers of thinking. I ask the owner to ban this person from his bar (in agrement with the democratic majority). But here, I can read selectively? At the other hand, IMO, only conflicts drive creativity. So, I read...TJ told me about the "Kill Your Idols" punkrock album as well as music from Arvo Part. (not so obvious in a mainstream world?)And if you do inverse problems properly, you need to know about Banach spaces?
Last edited by exneratunrisk on September 17th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On