SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

acbaidu
Topic Author

Where to find next trendy sectors and markets ?

November 19th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Last twelve months, commodity, FOREX, and interest rate markets have been trendy, and trend followers have made tons of money in these market.I am interested in finding next trendy sectors or markets, looking for some guidelines to find next trendy sectors.One guideline in my mind is that, if a sector has been dead for 15 years, it can be trendy in coming future. For example, commodity had been dead from eighties until 1998. If a sector has been hot in recent years, it cannot be trendy in coming future.What do you thinking ? where to find next trendy sectors and markets ?

GreekMartingale

November 19th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Throw darts, flip a coin

Cuchulainn

November 19th, 2008, 8:18 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: GreekMartingaleThrow darts, flip a coin
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

neilmaths

November 19th, 2008, 8:37 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CuchulainnQuoteOriginally posted by: GreekMartingaleThrow darts, flip a coinNo Cuchulainn, he means throw DARTS!

croot

November 19th, 2008, 8:51 pm

maybe if you find you make big money . I suggest -Options which pay if certain countries go to war: eg country X at war with country Y before Tmax (knockout feature), struck at 1M casualties (cheap OTM), conflict lasting at least Z years (parisian feature), ...-the market for mud, which is an important commodity soon to be increasingly correlated with housing & real estate values.Please call me if you are starting a hedge fund with money from emerging markets' new upper middle class! Note that the war market has exactly the same nice features as the good old credit market: the event (war or default) isn't supposed to happen: yet we all know if it does, that impedes the economy. So what the heck, let's create insurance for it! (Then of course some will push wars just to get their options knocked in.) I'm totally going into mud right now!
Last edited by croot on November 18th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

November 19th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Fasig-Tipton Results - Nov 2 Select MixedMany were not sold because the reserve was not met. They will show up again.This requires alot of homework.
Last edited by trackstar on November 18th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On