SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

pb273
Topic Author

Which Prime Broker for a Startup HF?

June 23rd, 2009, 11:59 pm

I am interesting in opening my own HF. Having seen the seeding business from close angles, I know that it is impossible for me to raise seed capital and the only way to go forward is to use my own capital (and I don't have any rich friends or relatives either). Since, I am planning to use my own capital, I can't of course afford Goldman Sachs as a Prime Broker or McGradley & Pullen as an Auditor, etc. I am also still early stage of planning and can be a year or more away from making a step forward.Is there anyone on this forum who had the experience of starting their own hedge fund? If so, can they share experiences about using a cheaper Prime Broker, cheaper Auditor, cheaper Administrator, etc ... who are the cheap guys out there and whom do you recommend and why? any real experiences will be great ...

gardener3

June 24th, 2009, 1:31 am

It depends on how much capital you have and what instruments you plan to trade. Take a look here: http://www.nptradingpartners.com/

PaperCut

June 24th, 2009, 2:46 am

The way you posed this seems to imply that you need a huge amount of capital in order to form a PB relationship with a big firm. Quite the opposite. They typically enjoy taking on small, newly capitalized outfits.

pb273
Topic Author

June 24th, 2009, 3:41 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PaperCutThe way you posed this seems to imply that you need a huge amount of capital in order to form a PB relationship with a big firm. Quite the opposite. They typically enjoy taking on small, newly capitalized outfits.Strange. That's a bit different from my experience. I had dealt with both Citi and GS as a part of my current job last year. Even before the crisis of Q3-Q4 in 2008, both had been quite reluctant to take small clients and have been actively trying to get rid of smaller clients. Last I had interacted, post the crisis, the fees etc for smaller outfits were substantially increased compared to larger outfits.
Last edited by pb273 on June 23rd, 2009, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveangel

June 24th, 2009, 6:03 am

try NewEdge - i think its merger of Soc Gen and some other outfit.
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

Marine

June 24th, 2009, 6:30 am

Interactive Brokers is pretty good.

PaperCut

June 24th, 2009, 12:34 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: pb273QuoteOriginally posted by: PaperCutThe way you posed this seems to imply that you need a huge amount of capital in order to form a PB relationship with a big firm. Quite the opposite. They typically enjoy taking on small, newly capitalized outfits.Strange. That's a bit different from my experience. I had dealt with both Citi and GS as a part of my current job last year. Even before the crisis of Q3-Q4 in 2008, both had been quite reluctant to take small clients and have been actively trying to get rid of smaller clients. Last I had interacted, post the crisis, the fees etc for smaller outfits were substantially increased compared to larger outfits.Well I guess the world has changed. My experience was back in 01-04, when liquidity was, well, liquid. It was a beautiful world, back in those days.

Fermion

June 24th, 2009, 8:28 pm

In my limited experience, a big hurdle for small outfits is the minimum capital required for portfolio margining. (Typically $500K - $5M, depending on broker.) Separate margining on individual trades, however much they are mutually hedging, can seriously limit your leverage.When I looked into this, it seemed to be the critical factor.

pb273
Topic Author

June 24th, 2009, 8:56 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: FermionIn my limited experience, a big hurdle for small outfits is the minimum capital required for portfolio margining. (Typically $500K - $5M, depending on broker.) Separate margining on individual trades, however much they are mutually hedging, can seriously limit your leverage.When I looked into this, it seemed to be the critical factor.with a high likelihood it is going to be less than $5m. but i am not planning a very levered outfit, although the availability of shorts via the prime broker is a big concern to me.gardener3, marine, thanks for the links. I wasn't even aware IB provided PB services, I had always clicked on the individuals section before. saratoga prime is another outfit i have given a thought to.daveangel: newedge is a large PB, often considered on par with some of the bigger PB firms.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On