Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bwboy
Topic Author

The futuere of financial engineering

December 26th, 2009, 8:34 am

Hi all,I am studying undergraduate stats/CS and very interested in quantitative finance and want to pursue a career in this area. But after the global finance crisis, I feel a bit worried about the future of financial engineering. A lot of quant jobs/businesses have lost and may never come back. The financial services industry is now under more stringent regulation and scrutiny, which may lead to less room for financial innovation. And financial innovation is the heart of FE. What's the future of FE? Will there be any new financial innovations as we have seen in the past few years? If FE is hard in future, will risk management be more promising? I have been thinking about my career future for a while and I really look forward to some suggestions from people who have industry experience in FE and risk management. Any opinion will be very appreciated. Thanks.

mathematocrat

December 26th, 2009, 1:50 pm

One word: farming

grafixel

December 26th, 2009, 5:08 pm

>The financial services industry is now under more stringent regulation and scrutiny, which may lead to less room for financial innovationi could imagine that more regulation will enforce innovations in order to bypass it. certain players might have less place to move though

Beachcomber

December 26th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Hopefully the more stringent regulations will regulate the misuse of financial innovation and not limit the financial innovation itself.

AbhiJ

December 28th, 2009, 9:33 am

If you know maths/stats, programming and finance,you will get a nice job in finance. Since you are a UG now, try to get a C++ role in a bank.Work 2-3 years and try to get a MFE from Berkley,CMU, NYU, Columbia.Also try CFA/FRM if you can.

hamster

December 29th, 2009, 6:17 am

Any change in regulation triggers new ideas to exploit it. no need to worry.

Gamal

December 29th, 2009, 11:57 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: mathematocratOne word: farmingYou mean FRMing?

LTrain

December 29th, 2009, 9:06 pm

mathematocrat wrote: >> One word: farming I agree 110%. There is big money in dirt. But the challenge is figuring-out how to monetize the idea.

mathematocrat

December 30th, 2009, 3:25 am

Umm no, actually the challenge is to grow food. Monetize dirt?? And people wonder why I'm such a doomer....

LTrain

December 30th, 2009, 4:18 am

>> Umm no, actually the challenge is to grow food. Monetize dirt?? DUH!! Im just using vernacular terminology. {sheesh}The US farmer is awesome. He is best-in-class and has held that honor for several generations. This fact is getting noticed. But again the challenge is figuring-out how to make money in this business. (and Im not talking about trading Ag commodities) Some of the South American Ag is also pretty interesting.
Last edited by LTrain on March 2nd, 2010, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.