SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Philosophy of Mathematics

February 12th, 2015, 6:13 pm

I also wondered how Leonhard Euler arrived at all those formulae and equations. In many cases he did a finite difference on the problem and then let h -> 0. Clever.

Euler-Lagrange

In solving optimisation problems in function spaces, Euler made extensive use of this `method
of finite differences'. By replacing smooth curves by polygonal lines, he reduced the problem of
finding extrema of a function to the problem of finding extrema of a function of n variables, and
then he obtained exact solutions by passing to the limit as n ! 1. In this sense, functions can
be regarded as `functions of infinitely many variables' (that is, the infinitely many values of x(t)
at different points), and the calculus of variations can be regarded as the corresponding analog of
differential calculus of functions of n real variables.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 11th, 2015, 11:00 pm
http://www.datasimfinancial.com

"Science is what you know, Philosophy is what you don't know" Bertrand Russell.

Cuchulainn

May 6th, 2016, 3:49 pm

The tables were anticipated for many years, with pleas for its publication reaching as far as India and Jesuit missionaries in China.[1] Apart from external hindrances, Kepler himself deterred from such a monumental enterprise involving endless tedious calculations. He wrote in a letter to a Venetian correspondent, impatiently inquiring after the tables: "I beseech thee, my friends, do not sentence me entirely to the treadmill of mathematical computations, and leave me time for philosophical speculations which are my only delight.[2] They were finally completed near the end of 1623.

If only Kepler had had a Commodore 64.

Traden4Alpha

May 6th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Originally posted by: Cuchulainn

The tables were anticipated for many years, with pleas for its publication reaching as far as India and Jesuit missionaries in China.[1] Apart from external hindrances, Kepler himself deterred from such a monumental enterprise involving endless tedious calculations. He wrote in a letter to a Venetian correspondent, impatiently inquiring after the tables: "I beseech thee, my friends, do not sentence me entirely to the treadmill of mathematical computations, and leave me time for philosophical speculations which are my only delight.[2] They were finally completed near the end of 1623.

Without electricity, it would not have done him much good.

We may stand on the shoulders of giants but giants stand on the rising gravel pile of every-day enabling technologies.

Cuchulainn

May 6th, 2016, 7:45 pm

Originally posted by: Traden4Alpha

We may stand on the shoulders of giants but giants stand on the rising gravel pile of every-day enabling technologies.

True. They also did not have coffee.

Traden4Alpha

May 6th, 2016, 8:05 pm

Originally posted by: Traden4Alpha

True. They also did not have coffee.
They did not need it. They had all those exciting table entries to compute!

Cuchulainn

May 6th, 2016, 10:13 pm

His colleague Alfréd Rényi said, "a mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems",[15] and Erdős drank copious quantities (this quotation is often attributed incorrectly to Erdős,[16] but Erdős himself ascribed it to Rényi[17]).

Cuchulainn

Re: Philosophy of Mathematics

October 15th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Traden4Alpha

October 15th, 2017, 3:59 pm

One write an ODE to maths day, what?

Cuchulainn

October 15th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:

Good idea!
Or maybe the 57th way to compute [$]e^5[$]. I'm clean out of ideas.

Traden4Alpha

October 16th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
Traden4Alpha wrote:

Good idea!
Or maybe the 57th way to compute [$]e^5[$]. I'm clean out of ideas.

Twas a valiant effort and at least you got above [$]e^4[$] ways, what?

Cuchulainn

October 17th, 2017, 11:50 am

You can blame it all on a German mathematician(*), Carl Friedrich Gauss, who started  the futuristic "mega-trend" back in 1809: He showed us how to "train" a straight line to pass nicely through a cloud of unruly, scattered data points. To find, in effect, a path of least embarrassment.   

Traden4Alpha

October 17th, 2017, 1:26 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
You can blame it all on a German mathematician(*), Carl Friedrich Gauss, who started  the futuristic "mega-trend" back in 1809: He showed us how to "train" a straight line to pass nicely through a cloud of unruly, scattered data points. To find, in effect, a path of least embarrassment.   

And later mathematicians Taylored a polynomial for this purpose, what?

Cuchulainn

October 17th, 2017, 6:31 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

The solutions are manifold, what about Gauss' student Riemann?

Traden4Alpha

October 17th, 2017, 11:24 pm

Cuchulainn wrote:
Traden4Alpha wrote:
Cuchulainn wrote:

The solutions are manifold, what about Gauss' student Riemann?

He made math tensor.

Collector

October 31st, 2017, 4:53 pm

what would the interpretation of the square root of a probability be? something in particular, something we can imagine in the "real" world? or just useful as math in intermediate calculations?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...