SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Philosophy of Mathematics

May 24th, 2020, 1:47 pm

And the most charismatic (and clever ever) is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLbllFHBQM4

IMO the best American mathematician of the 20th century.
Stefan Banach. No show-off, pure born genius. Connects to JvN via Stan Ulam - Banach's student at Lviv Polytechnic Institute and the Manhattan Project participator.
Good old times when knowledge and talent had more impact on science and world than manipulations, politics and hypes.
I can't wait for the whole AI bull**** to end, and we invest in some serious science. AI algos and tools are like malware exploit kits - every idiot can use them and cause a disruption.

Cuchulainn

May 24th, 2020, 8:11 pm

You see that line? Weill, it's a set of measure zero. You can ignore it when integrating.

katastrofa

May 25th, 2020, 11:03 am

Maybe I'm strange, but I see residua.

Cuchulainn

May 25th, 2020, 2:22 pm

Maybe I'm strange, but I see residua.
Poles apart?
That line _is_ complex.

Cuchulainn

May 26th, 2020, 10:29 am

And the most charismatic (and clever ever) is

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLbllFHBQM4

IMO the best American mathematician of the 20th century.
Stefan Banach. No show-off, pure born genius. Connects to JvN via Stan Ulam - Banach's student at Lviv Polytechnic Institute and the Manhattan Project participator.
Good old times when knowledge and talent had more impact on science and world than manipulations, politics and hypes.
I can't wait for the whole AI bull**** to end, and we invest in some serious science. AI algos and tools are like malware exploit kits - every idiot can use them and cause a disruption.
A short history of AI (I remember the early 1990s)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_winter

Enthusiasm and optimism about AI has increased since its low point in the early 1990s. Beginning about 2012, interest in artificial intelligence (and especially the sub-field of machine learning) from the research and corporate communities led to a dramatic increase in funding and investment.

Cuchulainn

May 26th, 2020, 7:58 pm

What about Cybernetics == protean AI?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybernetics

Cybernetics in the Soviet Union was initially considered a "pseudoscience" and "ideological weapon" of "imperialist reactionaries" (Soviet Philosophical Dictionary, 1954) and later criticised as a narrow form of cybernetics.[15] In the mid to late 1950s Viktor Glushkov and others salvaged the reputation of the field. Soviet cybernetics incorporated much of what became known as computer science in the West.[16]

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On