You're still young, that's your fault, there's so much you have to know
Find a girl,* settle down, if you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old but I'm happy

I was once like you are now and I know that it's not easy
To be calm when you've found something going on
But take your time, think a lot, why think of everything you've got
For you will still be here tomorrow but your dreams may not

* Or cat
Paul, I really like and appreciate you, but I don't want to be where you are when I'm old. I'd rather die young!

Gamal

Re: Philosophy of Mathematics

October 1st, 2018, 11:56 am

Too late.

Paul

October 1st, 2018, 12:06 pm

Nobody's perfect.

katastrofa

October 1st, 2018, 12:22 pm

I'd rather say there no universal definition of happiness.

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2018, 12:38 pm

So, Atiyah's proof of the Riemann hypothesis was a crap of a proof? Or just a crap - not even a proof. Poor guy. I've heard so many sad things about him: he's so old, his wife has died, his colleagues no longer talk to him... Ssh! Can you hear it? As if coming from somewhere very close, but I can't see it... Oh, it's the smallest violin in the world playing just for old male professors.
Unfortunately, this is not a good way to win friends and influence people.
Old professors ways aren't either. At least not ones I'd want to be my friends.
Depends on whom you meet.

katastrofa

October 1st, 2018, 12:46 pm

Sometimes two people meeting the same person is like meeting two different persons.

Collector

October 1st, 2018, 2:23 pm

"“What he showed in the presentation is very unlikely to be anything like a proof of the Riemann hypothesis as we know it,” says Jørgen Veisdal, an economist at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim who has previously studied the Riemann hypothesis. “It is simply too vague and unspecific.” Veisdal added that he would need to examine the written proof more closely to make a definitive judgement."

Skepticism surrounds renowned mathematician’s attempted proof of 160-year-old hypothesis

so may be Norwegian economists should start solving it....  The Riemann Hypothesis, explained

"Firstly, it’s become clear that the work presented by Atiyah doesn’t constitute a proof of the Riemann Hypothesis, so the Clay Institute can rest easy with their 1 million dollars, and encryption on the internet remains safe." 

https://aperiodical.com/2018/09/atiyah- ... -thoughts/

"John Baez, a mathematical physicist at the University of California, Riverside, was one of the few willing to put his name to critical remarks about Atiyah’s claim. “The proof just stacks one impressive claim on top of another without any connecting argument or real substantiation,” he says."

but can we trust the critics?

katastrofa

October 1st, 2018, 2:32 pm

Too late.
According to the socially constructed definition, I still have a couple of years. I'll send flowers for your casket ;-)

ISayMoo

October 1st, 2018, 2:47 pm

He's already dead in spirit, judging from his gloomy posts.

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2018, 3:35 pm

The difference here is that Baez is attacking the maths (standard if you ever worked in mats dept) while K tackles the man even though she knows nothing (I am 99% sure) about the topic.

katastrofa

October 1st, 2018, 3:54 pm

I just summarised what Baez wrote + gave my opinion about Atyiah's scientific culture. I'm not sure if what I know about the subject is nothing, but it's 99% sure more than you.

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2018, 7:14 pm

I just summarised what Baez wrote + gave my opinion about Atyiah's scientific culture. I'm not sure if what I know about the subject is nothing, but it's 99% sure more than you.
I doubt it. One of my lecturers was a PhD friend of Atiyah at Cambridge, In fairness, physics is a long way from pure maths. At the end of the day no one will care in 50 years time,

katastrofa

October 1st, 2018, 9:00 pm

I doubt it. One of my lecturers was a PhD friend of Atiyah at Cambridge, In fairness, physics is a long way from pure maths. At the end of the day no one will care in 50 years time,
You've studied applied mathematics, which is quite obvious judging from your interest and the form of your books/posts. Physics (I also studied maths, BTW) overlaps with it in my past work area (not that the Riemann hypothesis doesn't crop up on the "hardware" side of the discipline).

The idea that attending a lecture of someone who knew Atyiah acquaints one with the Riemann hypothesis is as ludicrous as the idea that I sucked an insight into Stefan Banach's work with my mother's milk. It would never cross my mind. Congratulations.

Besides, I've been studying and working in statistics for the past few years, if it makes you doubt any less.

Let's just say that your certitude in my inferior knowledge of pure maths as compared to yours comes from the same place which I sometimes "tackle" in guys like Atyiah and call it quits, ok?

Paul

October 1st, 2018, 9:16 pm

To be fair to Cuch there is no substitute for an undergrad maths degree. Not physics, or electrical engineering or economics or, lord help us, finance.

(But the friend of a friend osmosis thing was rather weak!)

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2018, 9:29 pm

You've studied applied mathematics

Correction. My BA (Mod) 4-year degree was a combination of pure, applied and numerical mathematics. And it was big fun. I also did special  + general relativity, QM, Electrocutiondynamics (QED bah) stuff but did not like like it. Actually, my favourite topic was Functional Analysis (Banach and his friends in that Polish cafe you mentioned about 4 years ago).

As Paul says, math is best. You have to be very clever for physics (too many tricks and unfounded assumptions for my taste).
Last edited by Cuchulainn on October 1st, 2018, 10:34 pm, edited 23 times in total.