SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Is bitcoin crashing?

June 3rd, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally posted by: APlus
"We probably need a clearing house?"

Definitely. If you can remove all the other intermediaries you do need a clearing house. And not any bank, but a proper central counterparty, to guarantee you that you have the settlement. It is exactly what is missing now. The selling-sites were sort of central clearing houses but they did an awful job.

Maybe there should be a Bitcoin "10 Commandments", e.g. 1. "build on (existing) (technical) infrastructure". To start all over again would be krazy.

In the 70s/80s you had (expensive!) proprietary XNS, DECNET. NEtbios, Ungermann-Bass networks that talked to each other with difficultty. Then came OSI (and TCP/IP) and Cisco and soon things became more interop.

DNS, (ATM??) etc. Bitcoin?

Maybe like the early Internet folk did it?
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 2nd, 2014, 10:00 pm

tagoma

Re: Is bitcoin crashing?

June 10th, 2018, 6:35 pm

By curiosity, any particular reason why BTC is plunging (again) today?

bearish

June 10th, 2018, 6:49 pm

A former boss of mine liked to quote a line from the WSJ, probably circa 1992, stating "The price of gold dropped because it was too high". Something like that going on here, perhaps?

tagoma

June 10th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Thanks, bearish. Your reply makes me feel more secure in some way. I mean I ended up thinking I'm the only one not understanding how crypto currencies move.

Alan

June 10th, 2018, 9:02 pm

Kim Jong-un is simply selling a few of his coins to meet his Singapore travel expenses

ppauper

June 11th, 2018, 11:35 am

to answer tag's question, an exchange was hacked
Bitcoin price plunges after cryptocurrency exchange is hacked

PatoHush

June 11th, 2018, 1:59 pm

I am new here and I am already enjoying reading. Hopefully I will be able to contribute something meaningful in the future

tagoma

June 11th, 2018, 7:31 pm

@ppauper thanks. from an investor perspective, it looks like hacking is a too common reason for security setback.
@PatoHush. welcome. we are looking forward to your contributions!

rmax

June 12th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Traden4Alpha wrote:
<snip>
I don't think you can do anything like an IR swap with bit coin yet because I don't think bit coin (or Hayek Money) has any intrinsic mechanisms for lending the currency.  <snip>

Can't you agree to transfer a bitcoin for a specified length of time? OK it might be better if the settlement was automated in the BlockChain, but I can't see why you could not write a (paper) contract on a Bitcoin.

Traden4Alpha

June 12th, 2018, 9:27 pm

rmax wrote:
Traden4Alpha wrote:
<snip>
I don't think you can do anything like an IR swap with bit coin yet because I don't think bit coin (or Hayek Money) has any intrinsic mechanisms for lending the currency.  <snip>

Can't you agree to transfer a bitcoin for a specified length of time? OK it might be better if the settlement was automated in the BlockChain, but I can't see why you could not write a (paper) contract on a Bitcoin.
You are right that anyone can write a contract with lending and repayment terms denominated in bitcoins. But without some form of blockchain/cryptographic lock on the borrower's assets and automated settlement on the blockchain, that contract is only as good as the lender's trust in the borrower which seems to defeat the whole ethos of bitcoin. I'm sure Ethereum can handle these kinds of issues with multi-party locks on escrow or collateral accounts.

P.S. The story of the DAO is a cautionary tale about the reliance on smart contracts (https://www.coindesk.com/understanding- ... urnalists/)

rmax

June 13th, 2018, 8:13 am

Traden4Alpha wrote:
rmax wrote:
Traden4Alpha wrote:
<snip>

You are right that anyone can write a contract with lending and repayment terms denominated in bitcoins.  But without some form of blockchain/cryptographic lock on the borrower's assets and automated settlement on the blockchain, that contract is only as good as the lender's trust in the borrower which seems to defeat the whole ethos of bitcoin.  I'm sure Ethereum can handle these kinds of issues with multi-party locks on escrow or collateral accounts.

P.S.  The story of the DAO is a cautionary tale about the reliance on smart contracts (https://www.coindesk.com/understanding- ... urnalists/)

Yep makes sense. And thanks for the DAO link. very edifying.

ppauper

June 13th, 2018, 8:37 am

>> Can't you agree to transfer a bitcoin for a specified length of time?

there are futures contracts on the CME

Traden4Alpha

June 13th, 2018, 12:00 pm

ppauper wrote:
>> Can't you agree to transfer a bitcoin for a specified length of time?

there are futures contracts on the CME
Indeed! But aren't those secured by US laws and the US court system rather than magic anonymized cryptoconstructs?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...