Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Traden4Alpha

Why is financial research useless?

September 27th, 2014, 12:51 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: bearishQuoteOriginally posted by: GamalNext question in the same area - why publish? A couple of my papers were printed in Risk or elsewhere, it didn't help me find any job nor in any other form AFAIK.This question got sort of drowned out and I think it is worth kicking around a bit. I have similarly published a couple of papers in Risk and a small handful elsewhere, and it is certainly hard to measure the impact on my career, but my best guess is that it has added a little bit to my reputational capital. To some extent, the publications may be like lottery tickets or deep OTM options: unlikely to amount to much, but hey (as the old NY state lottery ads went) you never know! Or you do it to impress friends and family, or just yourself. The attitudes of your managers also matter. Some like the idea of being "thought leaders" and will endorse (and maybe even reward) publications, conference participation, etc. as evidence of such, whereas others barely tolerate it, if at all. As a hiring manager, when I come across a resume of interest that includes a list of publications, I will certainly make an effort to take a look.That logic sounds correct to me but I'd be interested in Dominic's comments on this because he has more of a cross-sectional sample size and more experience with the thought processes of hiring managers than would any given solitary author.I would also expect that the fact of being published may matter less than the nature of the article which might impress some employers (if the article is lucid and practical) or turn them off (if the article seems like academic arcana).
Last edited by Traden4Alpha on September 26th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamal
Topic Author

Why is financial research useless?

September 27th, 2014, 7:28 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Traden4AlphaI would also expect that the fact of being published may matter less than the nature of the article which might impress some employers (if the article is lucid and practical) or turn them off (if the article seems like academic arcana).Or the opposite. Managers in general don't like too gifted employees.