Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

outrun

Re: Does Cauchy sequence ever occur in the real world or is it all the minds of mathematicians?

May 17th, 2018, 8:44 pm

how about 

"I roared the umbrella 5 feat off my Black Russian with laughter when I first read ... "

Traden4Alpha

Re: Does Cauchy sequence ever occur in the real world or is it all the minds of mathematicians?

May 17th, 2018, 9:17 pm

Methinks this thread will NOT form a Cauchy sequence!

katastrofa

May 18th, 2018, 12:18 am

I think it's subjective. I don't understand 50% of Traden4Alpha's and 90% of outrun's posts on average - Traden's converge in a foreign to me direction as a whole, outrun's diverge in different random directions as I read. Maybe this means that the secret lies in our brains.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 18th, 2018, 8:47 am

A bit like Stream of Consciousness. But then without the commas.

In another 5 years reality will be somewhere else, after the next great tsumami.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 18th, 2018, 11:24 am

What about finite and infinite sequences?

Traden4Alpha

May 18th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Finite sequences exist in the real world. Whether infinite sequences exist outside the minds of mathematicians depends on whether the physical universe is bounded in space, bounded in time, quantized in space, and quantized in time.

Traden4Alpha

May 18th, 2018, 12:29 pm

I think it's subjective. I don't understand 50% of Traden4Alpha's and 90% of outrun's posts on average - Traden's converge in a foreign to me direction as a whole, outrun's diverge in different random directions as I read. Maybe this means that the secret lies in our brains.
Damn, outrun's beaten me again!

Would more commas help?

katastrofa

May 18th, 2018, 12:46 pm

It's strange since outrun has BB Rodriguez in profile, which suggests that we have a similar sense of humour (I wonder if he also thinks that Big Bang Theory is shallow and dull, and suffers from F.R.I.E.N.D.S anaphylaxis).

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 18th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Damn, outrun's beaten me again!

Would more commas help?
It you subtract the numbers from 100%?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 18th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Finite sequences exist in the real world.  Whether infinite sequences exist outside the minds of mathematicians depends on whether the physical universe is bounded in space, bounded in time, quantized in space, and quantized in time.
Careful! This obsession of yours is becoming an idee-fixe.

Traden4Alpha

May 18th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Finite sequences exist in the real world.  Whether infinite sequences exist outside the minds of mathematicians depends on whether the physical universe is bounded in space, bounded in time, quantized in space, and quantized in time.
I'm producing an infinite sequence of posts on the unreality of infinite sequences, what?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 18th, 2018, 2:00 pm

I'm producing an infinite sequence of posts on the unreality of infinite sequences, what?
Hold on, have you forgotten your Vico cycles (time-series for medievaluists)? Do the converge of just repeat themselves?

Traden4Alpha

May 18th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Hold on, have you forgotten your Vico cycles (time-series for medievaluists)? Do the converge of just repeat themselves?
Ah, so Vico disproved the existence of Cauchy sequences?????????

katastrofa

May 18th, 2018, 2:44 pm

Melodies are often built around some root note. Unless...

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 18th, 2018, 4:09 pm

A convergence sequence ==> it is a Cauchy  sequence.
If not Cauchy then it does not converge.
Some CSs are more equal than others. Just see {1/n} and {(1 + x/n)^n}.