SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Paul
Topic Author

Models for Covid-19 - analytics

March 26th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Continuing on from the numerical analysis thread...

Can solve for [$]I_i[$]:

[$]I_i(t)=e^{-\lambda t}\left( \lambda \int_0^t e^{\lambda \tau}S_i(\tau)d\tau-e^{\lambda t}S_i(t)+S_i(0)+I_i(0) \right).[$]

And then

[$]\frac{dS_i}{dt}=\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)S_i\left( S_i- \lambda \int_0^t e^{\lambda (\tau-t)}S_i(\tau)d\tau -e^{-\lambda t}(S_i(0)+I_i(0))\right)\\ \qquad + \frac{\beta}{N}S_i\left( S- \lambda \int_0^t e^{\lambda (\tau-t)}S(\tau)d\tau -e^{-\lambda t}(S(0)+I(0))\right). [$]

Observe where there are and aren't subscripts.

When [$]\beta=0[$] there is total lockdown and you can integrate each [$]S_i[$] a bit. (*) Then you need to sum over all [$]i[$] and you'll get [$]I[$] which feeds into the [$]H[$] and [$]D[$] equations. Messy. So that's solve first then sum over [$]i[$].

When [$]\alpha=\frac{\beta}{N}[$] there is no lockdown. You can sum the [$]S_i[$] equations over all [$]i[$] and get the same result as in (*) but for the sum instead of individual households. So that's sum over [$]i[$] then solve. (The other way around from above.)

For other cases you can't solve/sum in either order because of the [$]S_i^2[$] term.

Paul
Topic Author

Re: Models for Covid-19 - analytics

March 26th, 2020, 9:49 pm

Or in two lines if I was able to concentrate(!):

[$]\left( \frac{S_i'}{S_i} \right)'+\lambda \frac{S_i'}{S_i}=\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)S_i'+\frac{\beta}{N}S'.[$]

So

[$]\frac{S_i'}{S_i} +\lambda \ln(S_i)=\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)S_i+\frac{\beta}{N}S +c_i,[$]

where

[$]c_i=\lambda \ln(S_i(0))-\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N}\right) \left(S_i(0)+I_i(0)  \right)-\frac{\beta}{N}\left(S(0)+I(0)  \right).[$]

From this

[$](\ln(S_i/S_i(0)))'+\lambda \ln(S_i/S_i(0))=\\ \qquad\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)S_i+\frac{\beta}{N}S-\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N}\right) \left(S_i(0)+I_i(0)  \right)-\frac{\beta}{N}\left(S(0)+I(0)  \right).[$]

Which can (almost) be solved for those two extreme cases.

Paul
Topic Author

March 26th, 2020, 11:15 pm

PROBABLY ERRORS IN ALL THIS

Simple case: [$]n[$] households infected the same [$]S^{(1)}[$] and the rest uninfected [$]S^{(0)}[$].

[$](\ln(S^{(0)}))'+\lambda \ln(S^{(0)})=\\ \qquad\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)S^{(0)}+\frac{\beta}{N}\left(nS^{(1)}+(N-n)S^{(0)} \right)-\alpha.[$]

[$](\ln(S^{(1)}/(1-I^*)))'+\lambda \ln(S^{(1)}/(1-I^*))=\\ \qquad\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)S^{(1)}+\frac{\beta}{N}\left(nS^{(1)}+(N-n)S^{(0)} \right)-\alpha.[$]

Rescaling [$]S^{(1)}=(1-I^*)\bar{S}^{(1)}[$] so that both (new) [$]S[$]s start at 1:

[$](\ln(S^{(0)}))'+\lambda \ln(S^{(0)})=\\ \qquad\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)S^{(0)}+\frac{\beta}{N}\left(n(1-I^*)\bar{S}^{(1)}+(N-n)S^{(0)} \right)-\alpha.[$]

[$](\ln(\bar{S}^{(1)}))'+\lambda \ln(\bar{S}^{(1)})=\\ \qquad (1-I^*)\left(\alpha-\frac{\beta}{N} \right)\bar{S}^{(1)}+\frac{\beta}{N}\left(n(1-I^*)\bar{S}^{(1)}+(N-n)S^{(0)} \right)-\alpha.[$]

Two coupled ODEs.

Paul
Topic Author

March 28th, 2020, 4:30 pm

Random thoughts:

Is it better to have simpler model for in-household infection? Integers? Or assume everyone infected? So only two types of household? Depends on timescales (in-house and outhouse).

In our household only one person goes out to shop. Suggests to me that there is an optimum household size. (Will depend on how many currently infected.)
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On