Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

JohnLeM

Re: Physicists, Stop the Churlishness

January 28th, 2021, 10:02 am

Too much Wikipedia knowledge is a dangerous thing.
True. However, no knowledge at all might well be the illness of this century.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

January 28th, 2021, 10:42 am

Any equation with the name 'Euler' in it can't be all bad.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

February 10th, 2021, 3:41 pm

The Bing Bang was at [$]t=0[$], yes? What about [$]x=0[$]? Did t = 0 happen at x = 0?

Pde(x,y,t) is no different from Pde(x,y,z)?

Bet no one can answer that :-)

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

June 3rd, 2021, 7:11 pm

Le temps et l’espace... Ce n’est pas la nature qui nous les impose, c’est nous qui les imposons à la nature parce que nous les trouvons commodes.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 3rd, 2021, 6:02 pm

Paul

July 4th, 2021, 8:57 am

I assume all of these men who study the concept of time are bachelors.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 5th, 2021, 10:13 am

It would,do no harm for physicists to read up a bit on linguistic relativity.

If I utter "Pde/fdm" how many quants react with "Crank-Nicholson"?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

July 5th, 2021, 10:22 am

Maybe a good start is Wundt's Völkerpsychologie.

bearish

July 6th, 2021, 12:45 am

Hmm. I notice that my phone “corrects” Nicolson to Nicholson. I assume that is what happened to you, too. Aside from that, I’ll offer a quote from one of my favorite authors: “Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so!”

Collector

March 25th, 2022, 9:12 pm

"“Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so!”

Why we only have time for Kvikk Lunch when out skiing...(the average Norwegian eats nine Kvikk Lunsj, Three of these are on average consumed during Easter)

Kvikk = Fast

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 11th, 2022, 1:47 pm

Good News about S.T.U.P.I.D.

We are an equal opportunity university specializing in higher-order thinking skills that provide students with raised consciousness, empowerment, and self-esteem. We are especially proud of our inclusionary policies which empower all members of society, regardless of differences in ability and background. For example, we were the first university in North America to ensure that every traffic sign on campus was not only printed in at least 5 languages, but is also marked in Braille. We are proud of our diversity and require gender and ethnic diversity from every student. All students accepted to S.T.U.P.I.D. are guaranteed passing grades and a successful graduation as a right. All students applying to S.T.U.P.I.D. are guaranteed admittance as long as our modest tuition requirements and entrance fees are paid - and we work hard to help students get the federal and state grants they deserve to attend our university. Competition is out - all classes operate on the principles of cooperative learning, self-directed learning, playing-to-learn, and active nurturing. This is facilitated by our high-tech computer and multimedia labs, now with Pac Man and Nintendo. S.T.U.P.I.D. - the ultimate adventure in modern education.
Funding for S.T.U.P.I.D. is generously provided by the taxpayers of the United States. Most of our budget comes from the $80 million a year our newly founded Medical College receives from the U.S. government to not produce any more physicians (just like real medical schools in New York). Our Department of Physics also receives $10 million a year in Federal grants to not produce any physicians.

Our revolutionary, inclusionary approach allows all students to excel in physics. Those who dread math and equations have nothing to fear with us, for we understand that modern mathematics and traditional equation-based paradigms for physics are Eurocentric tools for institutionalized racism, designed to further oppress indigenous peoples and the underclasses, especially the mathematically impaired. We emphasize REAL WORLD PHYSICS - the kind that you can see and visualize with actual figurines and real-world objects like cheese graters and six-packs. Indeed, our recent survey of highly successful adults (from a large and diverse sample of season-ticket holders at a recent Packers game) shows that NONE had any need to solve differential equations in the past year (none of the sober ones, that is - claims to the contrary by several highly inebriated fans were discounted as not fully credible). If they don't need it, neither do you. What they and you do need, however, is a human-centered education focused on authentic paradigms of self-worth and interactional nurturing. And we deliver like no other university can - in spite of our many imitators. For authentic, real-world education, accept no substitutes. Get S.T.U.P.I.D.!

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 13th, 2022, 8:00 pm

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 13th, 2022, 8:01 pm

Our days are getting longer - but physicists don't know why

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2022/0809 ... ic-clocks/

katastrofa

August 15th, 2022, 6:01 pm

The days are actually getting SHORTER in recent years. They used to get longer, until 2020 or so, which was an explained phenomenon - the moon is gradually receding from Earth (4 cm per year, from what I remember) slowing down its spinning. Now the spinning gets faster and the day shortens - for meltley reasons spun up, nomen omen, by climate change.

The Irish has dealt with maths, now it's (less!) time for physics ;-)
Attachments
1620768793459.jpg

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

August 15th, 2022, 8:53 pm

The universities did not fall for the String Theory trap, with the exception of the oldest one.