Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: What are the boundary conditions for the Forward contract PDE?

October 4th, 2020, 12:08 pm

bearish

October 4th, 2020, 12:22 pm

Um… forwards are delta 1 products, right? They move more or less dollar for dollar with the underlying. They can have positive or negative market values. Is this triggering any insight? 
He is dealing with a situation of a non-storable commodity, or something in that spirit, with a mean-reverting spot price process. So delta hedging (or cash and carry, as it would be referred to in old commodities text books) isn’t really part of the argument here.

Cuchulainn

October 4th, 2020, 12:32 pm

Any desire to further screw around with PDEs would presumably just be for educational purposes, which is fine. 
I think that the owner of this thread is asking for educational advises here. We are trying to do our best to help him.
"Screwing around with PDEs" is an interesting turn of phrase.

JohnLeM

October 4th, 2020, 12:46 pm

This one made me laugh a lot :)

bearish

October 4th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Any desire to further screw around with PDEs would presumably just be for educational purposes, which is fine. 
I think that the owner of this thread is asking for educational advises here. We are trying to do our best to help him.
Given that the exact solution to the valuation problem is given by equation (2), I think any further efforts at numerical solution falls into the screwing around category. Not that there is anything wrong with that! Some of my favorite memories are from screwing around.
Strictly speaking, the value function for a long position in a forward contract with maturity date T and contractual forward price K is given by [$] V(S_t,t) = e^{-r (T-t)} ( F(S_t,T-t) - K )[$], where F() is given by 2. Inspecting its behavior should be helpful in determining boundary conditions.

Cuchulainn

October 4th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Given that the exact solution to the valuation problem is given by equation (2), I think any further efforts at numerical solution falls into the screwing around category. Not that there is anything wrong with that! Some of my favorite memories are from screwing around.
Strictly speaking, the value function for a long position in a forward contract with maturity date T and contractual forward price K is given by [$] V(S_t,t) = e^{-r (T-t)} ( F(S_t,T-t) - K )[$], where F() is given by 2. Inspecting its behavior should be helpful in determining boundary conditions.
Sure, the more ways the better. But it is possible as well to find BCs based on precise mathematical analysis.

And in many cases a range of "numerical BCs" can be used. Caveat BCs can be influenced by mean reversion.

JohnLeM

October 4th, 2020, 2:50 pm

oh, you are right, the behavior at infinity is not linear !
[$] V(S_t,t) = e^{-r (T-t)} ( F(S_t,T-t) - K )[$], with
[$] \tag2 F(S_t,\tau) = \mathbb E[S_t] = \exp\bigg(e^{-\alpha\tau}\log S_t +\Big(\mu-\frac{\sigma^2}{2\alpha}-\lambda\Big)(1-e^{-\alpha\tau})+\frac{\sigma^2}{4\alpha}(1-e^{-2\alpha\tau})\bigg)  [$]
Thus either a Dirichlet boundary condition at infinity should work
[$] V(S_t,t) = C(t) \big( (S_t)^{\exp^{-\alpha (T-t)}} - K(t) \big)[$]
with C(t) is a exponential with a lot of terms, or a Neumann one
[$] \partial_S V(S_t,t)=\exp(-\alpha(T-t))C(t)(S_t)^{\exp(-\alpha(T-t))-1}[$]
Note that if the boundary of the PDE grid is far enough, [$] \partial_S V(S_t,t)=0[$] could be a simple choice that works.
Another idea: rewriting the whole PDE considering [$] (S_t)^{\exp(-\alpha(T-t))}[$] as the underlying might help to simplify all this.

DavidJN

October 4th, 2020, 10:13 pm

The intent of pointing out the delta 1 thing was to suggest that the boundary conditions for the forward should be quite similar to the that of the spot. BTW are there any embedded deliver options? 

bearish

October 4th, 2020, 11:02 pm

The intent of pointing out the delta 1 thing was to suggest that the boundary conditions for the forward should be quite similar to the that of the spot. BTW are there any embedded deliver options? 

Fair enough. And I think this was (is?) mostly an educational and hypothetical exercise, so certain real world considerations like delivery options, margins, etc. were ignored. Probably reasonably so. After all, he was just looking for boundary conditions, as some people have repeatedly (and correctly) pointed out.

DavidJN

October 5th, 2020, 3:43 am

Maturity date boundary condition: Suppose you are long a forward contract obliging you to buy the underlying at price $X at some specified maturity T.

If the underlying price, S, is strictly non-negative, then the payoff at T is Max[S – X, -X]. Since by assumption the underlying has a minimum price of zero, the obligation to pay $X to buy something worthless means you lose $X. You can’t have a worse outcome than that. Presumably the price is not bounded on the upside, so the forward payoff is not bounded on the upside.

Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

JohnLeM

October 5th, 2020, 7:38 am

The pit might be here: it seems that this is true only at maturity for people using Schwartz modeling. For intermediate time, it seems to behave like [$]S^{\exp(-\alpha(T-t))}[$]. This behavior is a game changer if one want to compute forward prices or sensitivities. I guess that Schwartz modeling is used to get fatter probability tails than log-normal ones.

Cuchulainn

October 8th, 2020, 11:20 am

JohnLeM,
Your latex notation needs some seeing to.

JohnLeM

October 8th, 2020, 4:02 pm

JohnLeM,
Your latex notation needs some seeing to.
Google translated seeing to as "the act of hitting someone repeatedly and hard".
Wow, do I really deserve a spank ? Which notation is awful ?

Cuchulainn

October 8th, 2020, 4:50 pm

Don't take it personally. Just improve.

Do this in latex.

ltr]V(S0,0)=(F(S0,0)K)erTV(S0,0)=(F(S0,0)−K)e−rT 

What the hell is it?

JohnLeM

October 8th, 2020, 4:59 pm

Don't take it personally. Just improve.

Do this in latex.

ltr]V(S0,0)=(F(S0,0)K)erTV(S0,0)=(F(S0,0)−K)e−rT 

What the hell is it?
I think this is bad copy / paste from the OP (Owner of Post) : "At the end of the finite difference scheme, to obtain the value of the option at time 0 we compute 
[ltr]V(S0,0)=(F(S0,0)K)erTV(S0,0)=(F(S0,0)−K)e−rT"[/ltr]