Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Partial Integro-Differential Equation (PIDE), Merton Jump Diffusion

December 29th, 2020, 7:51 pm

The standard PIDE (before it is subjected to the 'usual' independent variable transformation and domain  truncation) is

(A) \[\frac{\partial V}{\partial \tau} = \frac{1}{2} \sigma^2 S^2 \frac{\partial^2 V}{\partial S^2} + (r-\lambda k) S \frac{\partial V}{\partial S} - (r+\lambda) V +\lambda\int_{0}^{\infty} V(S\eta)\Gamma_\delta(\eta)\,d\eta = 0, \]  

A big title and a big equation!

There's a few FDM schemes that are variations on a theme 1) [$]x = log(S)[$] and [$]y = log(\eta)[$] and 2) truncation of both the PDE domain and the integral domain and 3) usual suspect boundary conditions. Everyone does this but is very crude.

My question now is: not using (1), (2), (3) but transforming across the board [$]S,\eta = (0,\infty)[$] to [$]x,y = (0,1)[$] by [$]x = S/(S+1)[$], [$]y = \eta/(\eta + 1)[$].

Now I go from a pide on [$](0,\infty)[$] to [$](0,1)[$] for both the PDE and IE terms. NO errors incurred.

Question; Is this a good starting point, numerically? Is there a (magical) reason why this might not work?

// A '42' question: why do most articles go for tricks (1), (2), (3) (saying it's handy is not an answer).  They work in practice but do they work in theory?

Alan

Re: Partial Integro-Differential Equation (PIDE), Merton Jump Diffusion

January 5th, 2021, 7:50 pm

I don't think it's any better or worse than solving the PDE without the integral term by that same transformation. (Personally, it always seems like overkill to use PDE/PIDE numerics when there are analytic/quasi-analytic solutions). 

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

Re: Partial Integro-Differential Equation (PIDE), Merton Jump Diffusion

January 7th, 2021, 5:24 pm

I don't think it's any better or worse than solving the PDE without the integral term by that same transformation. (Personally, it always seems like overkill to use PDE/PIDE numerics when there are analytic/quasi-analytic solutions). 
That's almost a one-liner.