SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ISayMoo

Re: End of bitcoin?

April 6th, 2018, 10:27 pm

That will surely give rise to all sorts of conspiracy theories. Any time BTC price goes down, the HODLers will cry "Soros did it!".

ppauper

April 12th, 2018, 5:20 am

a few months back (January) some US banks (eg JP Morgan Chase) stopped letting people buy cryptocurrency with credit cards.
I thought this meant you couldn't use one of their cards to buy cryptocurrency, period, but it actually means they treat it as a cash advance rather than a purchase thereby earning lots of fees for JP Morgan Chase

katastrofa

April 13th, 2018, 7:15 pm

I think it's over. Nobody's wanted to breed with my cryptokitties for months.

ISayMoo

April 13th, 2018, 7:57 pm

Maybe just a lull in the market? Or it's not breeding season?

Traden4Alpha

April 13th, 2018, 9:45 pm

Pining for the cryptofjords?

bearish

April 14th, 2018, 12:13 am

Stunned, I think.

tagoma

April 15th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Ask Soros if he can help, it seems he has recently made up his mind about crypto currencies.

cashlover

May 13th, 2018, 2:49 pm

i think that people who are actually playing on cryptocurrencies are super-brave. I don't have a nerve for it. I don't want to have them anymore. I've bought 10 BTC last summer when it was 2000 dollars. This winter i was super happy but didn't sell it in time and now i want to save what i have. I've looked into more stable investitions and i'm very much into buying a house in Greece - i saw some apartments that are around 10 BTC. I trhink i'd rent it for a couple years and sell when the price would build up. The prognosis for greek real estate market is very good here's the article

ppauper

May 30th, 2018, 7:05 am

ppauper

June 21st, 2018, 6:54 am

another exchange has been hacked,  Bithumb in S Korea, second time in a year for that exchange

Alan
Topic Author

August 5th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Interesting article in today's WSJ on the many "pump-and-dump" manipulations in various alt-coins on the exchange Binance  

Cryptocurrency Schemes Generate Big Coin  

(subscriber paywall)

Dozens of trading groups are manipulating the price of cryptocurrencies on some of the largest online exchanges, generating at least $825 million in trading activity over the past six months—and hundreds of millions in losses for those caught on the wrong side, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis.

In a review of trading data and online communications among traders between January and the end of July, the Journal identified 175 “pump and dump” schemes involving 121 different digital coins, which show a sudden rise in price and an equally sudden fall minutes later

The article doesn't mention Bitcoin, but the problem is a general one for all crypto. Manipulation is the main reason why the SEC is hesitant to approve a bitcoin ETF, for example.  Namely, regardless of how diligent a regulated US exchange may be, price formation may take place in wildly unregulated overseas venues. 

My guess is that a coveted bitcoin ETF will be approved, simply throwing 'manipulation' into the 15 pages of risk factors. After all, we already have bitcoin futures at the CBOE and spot trading at various US exchanges. 

Another argument for approval is -- are things really any better in, for example, the metals markets, currency pairs, various other commodities, emerging market equity, etc, etc -- all of which currently trade in ETF form?

Personally, I would welcome an ETF, as I enjoy the entertainment factor! 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...