Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tagoma

Re: End of bitcoin?

May 10th, 2021, 11:01 pm

End of Bitcoin, Beginning of DOGECOIN.  Nothing like investing 180k on a joke. 
Highlights a bitcoin manipulation path. Drive some sketchy altcoin to the moon, swap for bitcoin, and cash out to fiat. 
Who needs fiat when there's over 7,800 different cryptos.  I can't wait to get my wallet and collect all of them so I can negotiate every time I make a purchase with a seller on which one we will use because this is going to be so much better.

A Goldman Sachs managing director reportedly quit after raking in huge gains from dogecoin

SWilson

May 11th, 2021, 2:33 pm

ElonSperm coin

Market cap already around $11M
Up to 77.5 M now.  FOMO is real. 

Alan
Topic Author

May 11th, 2021, 2:39 pm

Highlights a bitcoin manipulation path. Drive some sketchy altcoin to the moon, swap for bitcoin, and cash out to fiat. 
Who needs fiat when there's over 7,800 different cryptos.  I can't wait to get my wallet and collect all of them so I can negotiate every time I make a purchase with a seller on which one we will use because this is going to be so much better.

A Goldman Sachs managing director reportedly quit after raking in huge gains from dogecoin
Funny, Wiley just did a comic about the same thing yesterday

Copenhagentolondon

May 12th, 2021, 10:07 am

I actually discovered a few days ago that I have a friend who's doing the same with bitcoin, ethereum etc. He has apparently earned 300% of his initial investment in a year, going from 300.000 dkk to 1.000.000 dkk. Now he's considering buying a small apartment from it or investing in other... High volatility... investment vehicles. I'm rolling my eyes at him internally, telling myself it sounds like gambling
CBCA->CMSA->FMVA->Ba.Sc.Math-stat->CFA1,2,3->CISI->FRM->CQF->IFoA->than what?
The goal is to write all three and four letter combinations and try to make sense of it.

tagoma

May 13th, 2021, 7:05 pm

Alan
Topic Author

May 14th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Ransomware is part of an emerging and profitable criminal business that generated more than $400 million in income in 2020, according to Chainalysis. Hacking groups like DarkSide  through which criminal networks extort victims. Security researchers call their work ransomware-as-a-service. They make their money by offering customers—criminal hackers—a way to deploy their illegal software and extort victims via a well-designed web interface.
DarkSide, Hacking Group Linked to Colonial Pipeline Attack, Says It Is Closing Down
Time to call in Bryan Mills and his particular set of skills.

Cuchulainn

May 15th, 2021, 12:44 pm

Unlike mainstream traditional currencies, bitcoin is virtual and not made from paper or plastic, or even metal. Bitcoin is virtual but power-hungry as it is created using high-powered computers around the globe.

At current rates, such bitcoin "mining" devours about the same amount of energy annually as the Netherlands did in 2019, data from the University of Cambridge and the International Energy Agency shows.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Alan
Topic Author

May 15th, 2021, 4:56 pm

Unlike mainstream traditional currencies, bitcoin is virtual and not made from paper or plastic, or even metal. Bitcoin is virtual but power-hungry as it is created using high-powered computers around the globe.

At current rates, such bitcoin "mining" devours about the same amount of energy annually as the Netherlands did in 2019, data from the University of Cambridge and the International Energy Agency shows.
The conclusion is clear: either bitcoin or the Netherlands has got to go.   :D

tagoma

May 19th, 2021, 10:40 am

Crypto Tumble Wipes $600 Billion Off Digital Tokens in a Week

$600B gone! I mean how many years can you feed Africa and Mariah Carey with that much money?
BTW I still don't understand where does cryptos values come from. Do you?

SWilson

May 19th, 2021, 4:11 pm

Do you mean in the philosophical sense or literal sense?

Paul

May 19th, 2021, 5:16 pm

BTW I still don't understand where does Netherlands values come from. Do you?
Tulips?

Cuchulainn

May 19th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Crypto Tumble Wipes $600 Billion Off Digital Tokens in a Week

$600B gone! I mean how many years can you feed Africa and Mariah Carey with that much money?
cryptos'
David Wheeler

Cuchulainn

May 19th, 2021, 6:01 pm

Tulips?
David Wheeler

SWilson

May 19th, 2021, 6:39 pm

The best crypto right now are the tickets I've won at Chuck E Cheese.  The number of tickets to buy prizes doesn't change but the amount of money to play the games to win the tickets always goes up.  I have the last laugh on this one.  

katastrofa

May 20th, 2021, 12:30 am

Tulips?

I suspect their tulips and agriculture produce more sentimental value than GDP these days.

Sources of wealth: (not going pre-18th century) colonial legacy like the UK, trade/Rotterdam (the main transit port of Europe) like Belgium's Antwerp, tax heaven like Ireland, big services sector like the USA - can't be easily outsourced to Asia so automatically bumps up GDP (?), but also Unilever, Philips, Shell (Shell is Dutch, no?).

But why is Christopher Columbus sailing that stream of drivel flowing from my head at 2 am :?: