Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan
Topic Author

Re: End of bitcoin?

January 9th, 2022, 3:11 pm

Speaking of altcoins, tokens, etc, I posted a chart of Shiba Inu token prices before. Here is an update (SHIB-USD), down about 2/3 from the peak. Notice the volume (3.7 trillion coins) which is close to "all of them" if I recall. Ah ... so many zeros to go!
SHIB-USD.png

Alan
Topic Author

January 15th, 2022, 7:56 pm

bearish

January 15th, 2022, 11:23 pm

I have slightly more sympathy for BAYC than for Bitcoin. The former is an exclusive club of sorts and pretends to be art, whereas the latter pretends to be money or something like that and is just pure evil. I don’t understand the pricing of art to begin with, so who am I to say that $2 billion isn’t the right price for a bunch of crudely drawn monkeys. There was a headline in the FT today that included the words crypto and Kardashian. Nothing bad could come from that combination, right?

bearish

January 17th, 2022, 1:11 am

Bored apes are to bitcoin what Boris Johnson is to Donald Trump.

kc11415

January 17th, 2022, 6:04 am

I was particularly impressed with this part from your link: "1-100 of 4919 results"

It has probably already been done (see "4919" above), but I think there's a strong potential for a scam um, business opportunity in creating cryptocurrencies one letter off from popular existing currencies. So "Betcoin," "Batcoin," "Botcoin," and "B!tcoin."
Uhm...   how about butcoin/buttcoin/buttocks-coin... then its not far to bullocks-coin  :-)

Marsden

January 22nd, 2022, 4:03 pm

kc's link is interesting today: Bitcoin (at this moment) down 9%; Etherium down 14%. I had heard yesterday that there was a big sell-off in cryptos; does anyone know why?

Side note: Sorry to say this, but I see a lot of similarities between cryptocurrencies and financial engineering. Cryptocurrencies early on claimed to provide untraceable transactions (which, to my understanding, is the OPPOSITE of the truth: the big deal of cryptocurrencies -- as far as I can tell -- is the distributed ledger, which -- yes -- can keep a single entity that keeps the only ledger from erasing you, but which also would tend to mean ANYONE maintaining a copy of the PUBLICLY AVAILABLE ledger can potentially trace your transactions) and avoidance of the vagaries of fiat currencies (... but acceptance of the occasional 10% daily fluctuation in value; at least it's probably random rather than a government conspiracy, I guess) for people who have managed never to have heard of precious metals ... but other than those dubious benefits, do nothing worthwhile, and yet have been spun via all manner of hype (see: Tulip Mania, Dutch) into a trillion dollar ... (industry?)

Financial engineering really does provide some real benefit ... but I think awfully marginal: how much benefit is there in giving someone a floor or a ceiling in the value of their risk-exposed portfolio before you have to ask, "Well, why are you leaving your portfolio so risk-exposed, you idiot?"

And yet by stories of spinning moon beams and cat whiskers into things of real value, financial engineering has become a multi-trillion dollar industry.

Is it worth it?

"I'm just asking questions."

ExSan

February 28th, 2022, 11:39 am

°°° #OpenToWork https://bit.ly/3klz5ys <--- my Tweets °| ° |°My Portfolio ---> https://bit.ly/3siPhoZ #OpenToWork °°°

Alan
Topic Author

May 11th, 2022, 2:11 pm

TerraUSD, 3rd largest of the so-called "stable coins", putatively pegged to one US dollar, until it wasn't:
TerraUSD.png

From Cryptocurrency TerraUSD Plunges as Investors Bail (WSJ):
A stablecoin, this breed of cryptocurrencies had gained favor among traders for being the one part of the crypto universe that was known for its stability. While the most popular stablecoins maintain their levels with assets that include dollar-denominated debt and cash, TerraUSD is what is known as an algorithmic stablecoin, which relies on financial engineering to maintain its link to the dollar.

Before its peg was broken, TerraUSD was the third-largest stablecoin with a total market value of $18 billion.

bearish

May 11th, 2022, 10:51 pm

These things are far worse than useless. Going from $18bn to $0 is mostly just going to hurt some people who deserves to be hurt, but add two or three zeroes to the starting point, and you tank the economy in the process. When the Reserve Fund “broke the buck” following the Lehman default, investors got back about 99c on the dollar. But that was genuinely considered catastrophic. 0c is, like, worse!

Alan
Topic Author

May 12th, 2022, 1:10 pm

Yes, agree  -- the main issue is collateral damage to "markets that matter" from video-game-world crypto markets. Of course, the players in crypto (not me, except for occasional short sales) worry about the reverse causation.

USD Tether, the largest stablecoin with a market cap circa $82-85 billion, broke the buck last night, falling to around $0.95, but then recovering to around $0.99 currently: Tether price today, USDT to USD live, marketcap and chart | CoinMarketCap

Total crypto market cap is currently $1.2 trillion. My sense is that number could go to zero without major (additional) aggregate pain to the real economy and especially banking. Sort of like the gold, art and various collectibles market losing $1 trillion. Kind of a shrug. 

ExSan

May 15th, 2022, 5:07 pm

crypto"currencies" worldwide +18K
(I was tempted to promote my own)
I recomend the recorded space on tweeter  "Blood on The Streets of Crypto, What is going on?"
°°° #OpenToWork https://bit.ly/3klz5ys <--- my Tweets °| ° |°My Portfolio ---> https://bit.ly/3siPhoZ #OpenToWork °°°

Alan
Topic Author

May 17th, 2022, 8:33 pm

I love biblical events. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together?

gatarek

May 18th, 2022, 2:53 pm

Collector

June 19th, 2022, 3:26 pm

what is the main difference between bitcoins and tulips? Tulips are beautiful and can give new tulips from free energy (the sun) (you need miner; earth). And many parts of the tulip is edible!

similarities: mad crowd greed mania bubbles and busts

Alan
Topic Author

June 19th, 2022, 4:38 pm

Tulips are definitely a compare. 

My pet compare theory is that bitcoin is like a collectible coin and I finally found one with the same mintage:   
1924 Buffalo/Indian head nickelWhat is the value? $1.71 to $177.