Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

songqsh
Topic Author

Algo-trading with Interactive Broker

February 6th, 2017, 2:26 am

I am considering to start an algo-trading with interactive broker (IB). I have a relative good knowledge in math but not in finance or programming. Recently, I found that Quantopian is a good place to offer live trading with IB. Although it provides limited data access, for instance no historical option price etc., it seems to be still quite descent place for a starter in this field. Does anybody have real experience and give your opinion, in particular, 

(1) Is it reliable platform for a simple stock trading strategy for real money trading via IB?
(2) Is there any better platform to start with for algo-trading?

Thanks.

outrun

Re: Algo-trading with Interactive Broker

February 6th, 2017, 6:52 am

Afaik it's very easy to setup a margin account at IB directly? And they have an API with examples.

Why are you considering trading via IB via Quantopian? Is there some benefit?

songqsh
Topic Author

February 7th, 2017, 12:47 am

Afaik it's very easy to setup a margin account at IB directly? And they have an API with examples.

Why are you considering trading via IB via Quantopian? Is there some benefit?
Hi, I chose Quantopian for the reasons below,
(1) I tested connection to IB via Quantopian, it was easy for me compared to using Python API.
(2) It gives a skeleton of Python code, and one may only need to focus on algo itself. I tried to code by myself directly to Python API of IB, it was far more involving.
# Btw, I am not working for any of the above parties, and just want to know how people really do algo trading with IB, as a newbie.

outrun

February 7th, 2017, 7:30 am

My experience with IB is a bit outdated, I used it more than 10 years ago. The thing I didn't like at the time was the fact that you needed to run the java based client on a windows machine, I'd rather have a pure API in a Linux server. (But these requirements are probably not yours). However thing have changed since, there is a pyhthon wrapper around the Java API.
I would never trust Quantopia, but that might just be me. My view is that someone there said "you know what, we trick people into developing algo's for us, force them hand over the code by design, that way we always have access to some innovation for free". It's easier though for newbies I can imagine, but you need to be aware that they take your IP

songqsh
Topic Author

February 8th, 2017, 3:02 am

My experience with IB is a bit outdated, I used it more than 10 years ago. The thing I didn't like at the time was the fact that you needed to run the java based client on a windows machine, I'd rather have a pure API in a Linux server. (But these requirements are probably not yours). However thing have changed since, there is a pyhthon wrapper around the Java API.
I would never trust Quantopia, but that might just be me. My view is that someone there said "you know what, we trick people into developing algo's for us, force them hand over the code by design, that way we always have access to some innovation for free". It's easier though  for newbies I can imagine, but you need to be aware that they take your IP
Thanks for your suggestions and I agree with your point. I also prefer linux/mac os programming too. 

finanzmaster

February 8th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Apropos Quantopian, have a look at my critical essay
https://letyourmoneygrow.com/2017/01/12 ... take-part/

I also think that you'd better do it directly with IB

traderjohnlaw

October 17th, 2017, 11:52 am

There are few algorithmic trading platforms where you can connect your Interactive Broker account and trade and monitor your activities. Quantopian definitely requires coding for your algorithm to work. You should try Investfly once. You do not need any coding knowledge. You can test your trading strategies and algorithm in Investfly with virtual money also. If it fits better then you can also use it in your broker account. But connecting broker account does not come free in Investfly.  But I will definitely suggest you to try it once.

ml11986

December 1st, 2017, 12:33 pm

Dear finanzmaster, I can recommend AlgoSeek.com to get reliable data, and investfly for your interactive broker account

outrun

December 1st, 2017, 1:16 pm

Dear finanzmaster, I can recommend AlgoSeek.com to get reliable data, and investfly for your interactive broker account
good bot

bingobangobongo

January 30th, 2018, 12:05 am

Why not go direct with IB? They support Windows/Mac and Linux.. and their api includes python, Java, C++ etc... although that said, depending on the speed of your strategy you might not want to use their level 1 market data feeds...