Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

MichaelRazum
Topic Author

Market Making for fonds - interesting?

November 23rd, 2017, 2:51 pm

Hallo,

I'm very interested in trading and was in an interview in a small bank last week. They are doing market making for fonds. So actually the price is published one time a day and then they provide liquidity to the markets. 

What do you think, is that kind of business interesting & profitable? 

It seem's quite easy, try to approximate the portfolio of the fonds based on public information and published price and then offer bid ask prices. For the approximation, I think something quite simple like regression should work. My task would be to automate the manual process and write and review algorithms.

So, on the one hand, I always wanted to get into trading, but on the other hand it should be interesting. So looking forward to your opinion. 

Josesv

Re: Market Making for fonds - interesting?

November 24th, 2017, 4:51 am

You can do both trading and a bit of the business that you propose. Remember that for trading you can also follow live forex signals or any other type of trading signal that you like. so you do not have to spend a lot of time trading

Those funds that you mention are interesting, you just have to be clear if they have regulations and are under the law, to avoid bad experiences and loss of capital

MichaelRazum
Topic Author

Re: Market Making for fonds - interesting?

November 24th, 2017, 5:17 am

Thanks for the answer. It was just not that clear to me if that kind of business needs interesting mathematical models. The bank I was talking with was doing most of the part manually but they would like to automate the hedging for small positions.