Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

mbunea
Topic Author

Marketing a trading strategy

December 12th, 2020, 12:37 pm

Initial setup: you're unknown, unproven, unremarkable (till now). Still you've got 20 years in software development and 15 years of experience in finance, 10 of which employed as a quant. You keep researching on your own time, use the software developed by yourself to define trading strategies, validate them against simulated data, test them on (expensive) historical market data and lately produced this:

You know you can sell it like hot cakes to retail traders (with at least $100k in their account) and already have the channels to do so (there's a market for "gurus" selling strategies for anything in the $5 - $5000 range), but this is not retail stuff where you sell 100-1000 instances before the strategy stops working or gets copied. You try unexplored territory, selling to professional finance.

So the question: when marketing by spam mail to hedge funds, does it really make a difference what you say / how you present it? It makes little difference in the retail world where you sell through realtime-bid auctions displayed on webpages to those who don't use an adblocker, and get a conversion rate like 1 in 10,000 (who click on your ad, not who actually end up buying). I mean it does make a difference, it can double your conversion rate, so from 0.25% you go to 0.5%, but it's still in the "hardly above noise level" territory.

leptoq

Re: Marketing a trading strategy

December 18th, 2020, 5:31 pm

Perhaps, I missed the point of your question, are you looking to pitch your strategy to institutional players like hedge funds? Or are you offering you insights how to send bulk spam emails to these guys? 

Imho sending spam to these dudes is not going to work. If you want to pitch your strategy to these guys successfully, you'd have to talk to real humans and make your case face to face. I assume the graphs that you shared above refer to actual trading at some small size? 

mbunea
Topic Author

December 19th, 2020, 11:53 am

>> Are you looking to pitch your strategy to institutional players like hedge funds? Or are you offering you insights how to send bulk spam emails to these guys? 

The former (pitch strategy, that is).

>> Imho sending spam to these dudes is not going to work. 

(Obviously tried it already :D )

>> If you want to pitch your strategy to these guys successfully, you'd have to talk to real humans and make your case face to face.

Working on that.

>> I assume the graphs that you shared above refer to actual trading at some small size? 

No, just a backtest.

tags

February 20th, 2021, 11:29 am

@mbunea how is your marketing campaign doing? what steps have you already been through?
best of luck.